Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Swansea City *** Official Match Thread ***

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Christ, are we all on Connolly after that?

Given our back line (Turns isn't that much bigger than Lamptey, though he's a confident lad who wants the ball and may make an excellent CDM), disruption caused by Mwepu's late drop out and general end of the pier atmosphere that comes from having two stands open, that was excellent.

Connolly took chance 1 scruffily but took chance 2 very, very well. I don't give a shit if he's given it back to their fans. That's kind of the point of being gifted enough to score at the away fans' end. You take shit all half and then you ram it back up them.

Absolutely wonderful to catch up with lots of old friends and faces too. A game like this is the next best thing to an away game for that, with only the hardcore going. A pre match beer with [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] and a half time one with [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] before a post match trip down memory lane with the Fatty Tax Man. Tonight I realised what I'd missed in lockdown more than the full capacity games where people pass like ships in the night.

A word for the 15 minute cameo of Sarmiento. The lad didn't lack confidence on social media but he doesn't on the pitch either. Brought new energy to the team. Every thing he does is positive and direct. We could have a real player there.

Swansea? I feel sorry for Russell Martin. They knocked it around nicely, created the better chances and looked less likely to finish them than the Liberty Stadium Tea Lady.

I'm not sure Leicester away is exactly the tie I'd have asked for after that but it's probably what we deserve after shithousing their profligacy.

Last edited:

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I can't work out what level OGS really is. I don't think he's proper shit, but he's no master tactician either. Potter is comfortably a better coach, that's for sure.

With the money and talent he (OGS) has at his disposal, he'd have to be properly incompetent to the point of never having seen a football game to appear to be proper shit.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
What about "plonker"?

According to Eng-Swe dictionarys: dumhuvud ("dumbhead"), träskalle ("woodhead (or "woodskull", technically)) or idiot ("idiot").

Havent seen plonker in enough context to see if its accurate or not but guessing it might be.

Numpty however... think thats possibly UK unique. Maybe there are plonkers and dickheads all over the world, but numpties only exist on your island.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Christ, are we all on Connolly after that?

Given our back line (Turns isn't that much bigger than Lamptey, though he's a confident lad who wants the ball and may make an excellent CDM), disruption caused by Mwepu's late drop out and general end of the pier atmosphere that comes from having two stands open, that was excellent.

Connelly took chance 1 scruffily but took chance 2 very, very well. I don't give a shit if he's given it back to their fans. That's kind of the point of being gifted enough to score at the away fans' end. You take shit all half and then you ram it back up them.

Absolutely wonderful to catch up with lots of old friends and faces too. A game like this is the next best thing to an away game for that, with only the hardcore going. A pre match beer with [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] and a half time one with [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] before a post match trip down memory lane with the Fatty Tax Man. Tonight I realised what I'd missed in lockdown more than the full capacity games where people pass like ships in the night.

A word for the 15 minute cameo of Sarmiento. The lad didn't lack confidence on social media but he doesn't on the pitch either. Brought new energy to the team. Every thing he does is positive and direct. We could have a real player there.

Swansea? I feel sorry for Russell Martin. They knocked it around nicely, created the better chances and looked less likely to finish them than the Liberty Stadium Tea Lady.

I'm not sure Leicester away is exactly the tie I'd have asked for after that but it's probably what we deserve after shithousing their profligacy.

I lot was down to confusion over who it was aimed at……re Sarmiento great prospect judging by what JC was saying about him…nice to hear that backed up by yourself ..good on u for going

Thoughts on Leonard?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I can't work out what level OGS really is. I don't think he's proper shit, but he's no master tactician either. Potter is comfortably a better coach, that's for sure.

I’m not sure what OGS actually brings to the table for his multi- million pound contract. He doesn’t seem to have a tactical plan or vision. His sides don’t play with any discernible style or identity. He doesn’t seem to impose anything on the club. Given the absurd amount of talent at the club I’m sure the kitman could pick the starting XI for most games and do the halftime talk and get broadly the same results.

He just reminds me of the football team equivalent of having supply teacher.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Yeah, he did well with Molde and seems well-liked, but just tends to fall down when it comes to the crunch/big games, and seems like he gets out-thought mid-game by more wily managers.

Perhaps a bit like Southgate…

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Thoughts on Leonard?

Considering he wasn't expecting to start he did really well.

Comparing him to Bissouma isn't in any way fair but I will do it positively in that he looked very keen to win tackles and recycle the ball in a similar way. Obviously, though, as a player just starting out who doesn't have the top flight experience and ability to read the game. But he's that sort of player. Lots of energy, willingness, tackling, passing and running.

Me likey.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Leicester draw is bad but...they have a lot of games in a short space of time - Man Utd then away in Moscow then Brentford then us with Arsenal after that.

We just beat them after a European tie so we have a chance - it just depends on how strong a team Potter is willing to risk putting out. However, given it falls between our Man City and Liverpool matches I'd say the likelihood is it will be a weakened team and we are stuffed.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I’m not sure what OGS actually brings to the table for his multi- million pound contract. He doesn’t seem to have a tactical plan or vision. His sides don’t play with any discernible style or identity. He doesn’t seem to impose anything on the club. Given the absurd amount of talent at the club I’m sure the kitman could pick the starting XI for most games and do the halftime talk and get broadly the same results.

Indeed not. No tactical plan whatsoever. I wish I could remember the game but there was one match against another big club last season where his side edged the first half and the opposition with a proper manager made a couple of key changes and absolutely slaughtered them second half. I remembered thinking that was OGS in a nutshell.

Chelsea in particular are going to dispose of Man Utd comfortably when they play each other, as will Liverpool now that VVD is back.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
However, given it falls between our Man City and Liverpool matches I'd say the likelihood is it will be a weakened team and we are stuffed.
Yes, Potter will want his best players for those two league six pointers. It's a shame we haven't got rubbish either side of the Leicester game - matches against Spurs and Leeds would have done nicely.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Considering he wasn't expecting to start he did really well.

Comparing him to Bissouma isn't in any way fair but I will do it positively in that he looked very keen to win tackles and recycle the ball in a similar way. Obviously, though, as a player just starting out who doesn't have the top flight experience and ability to read the game. But he's that sort of player. Lots of energy, willingness, tackling, passing and running.

Me likey.

JC and WA were singing his praises

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

He's brought the club back to the Fergie era in the minds of most associated with them. Whatever you think of their tactics, since he's joined as coach they have signed Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, Fernandes, Cavani, Sancho, Varane, Ronaldo off the top of my head, who have all improved the club.

They also ruined Donny Van De Beek and bought and sold Dan James and had some even less successful transfers than that. But in the same era Lingard may have been rehabilitated and Rashford and Greenwood brought on.

In short, he's no Bielsa but he's created an atmosphere where the owners need to buy quality players. Bielsa, let's remind ourselves, despite the wankfest, hasn't really won anything of note.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
He's brought the club back to the Fergie era in the minds of most associated with them. Whatever you think of their tactics, since he's joined as coach they have signed Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, Fernandes, Cavani, Sancho, Varane, Ronaldo off the top of my head, who have all improved the club.

They also ruined Donny Van De Beek and bought and sold Dan James and had some even less successful transfers than that. But in the same era Lingard may have been rehabilitated and Rashford and Greenwood brought on.

In short, he's no Bielsa but he's created an atmosphere where the owners need to buy quality players. Bielsa, let's remind ourselves, despite the wankfest, hasn't really won anything of note.

Well yes, but in the last week they have lost to Young Boys, escaped from the London Stadium with 3 points instead of 1 because West Ham blew a last min penalty and just lost at home to West Ham without scoring. That's his last 7 days work. I'm sure United will be successful but I just see that as in spite of OGS rather than because of him, principally because of the players you list above - plus others who were already there. I really don't follow Man Utd that closely so maybe I'm missing something but I don't see an 'OGS factor' in much that they do.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I remember the last season SAF somehow won the league with one of crappiest Man Utd squads in two decades.

If that had been OGS running that squad, they'd have been more like Arsenal are this season. Tactically he's clueless, it's just that he is enthusiastic and I'm guessing he is a half decent motivator.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've only ever seen a young guy trying hard in Aaron Connolly. I've never seen someone with an attitude problem. Delighted for him tonight, we've got a real talent in Connolly and I'm looking forward to seeing him develop.

The fact that he's scored two decent goals against Championship opposition tonight, as well as (hopefully) boosting his on-pitch confidence is a telling reminder that he should be on loan to a championship club to do just that this season.
We could have kept Zeqiri as third choice striker, or used Sima or even Tolaj or Ferguson. A twenty plus goals a season stirker returning from the Championship could have been a real asset next season! Yes, I know - it's the club's call - and they've got people that know a heck of a lot more about it than I do. Just hope they've called this one right ................. ...........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here