Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Southampton *** Official Match Thread ***

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Just got home from the game. Wonder what potter said at half time, substitutions were baffling too. Still, felt like we were lucky to get 1 point from that.

Special shout out to the crooked, or totally inept linesman on the east side. Worst performance yet from an official.

On a couple of occasions he waited for the ref to indicate which team won the throw in before flagging.

Linos are totally unnecessary these days, they should be made redundant and paid off. Let the ref decide throw ins and the VAR team offside - most are so obvious they can be judged in real time remotely, others to VAR, which we get anyway, whether we like it or not. How can a lino judge a throw in the other half of the pitch anyway? With the sun in their eyes. Alternatively have four linespeople - like tennis. Or can football not afford to pay them?

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Just to add, brought my son a few bits in the club shop today and thought I’d get his younger brother something as he’s not really old enough to go. Decided on a BHAFC kids drinking cup, you know the type, with a lid and straw.

At the checkout I was told I could have the other items but could I come back after the game as the empty plastic kids drinking cup wasn’t allowed in the ground! FFS!

I think you fell into the trap of expecting to be treated as a a sensible, law abiding, loyal customer.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It’s a long thread and I haven’t read it so this may have already been mentioned.

If Duffy had been playing and had the made the four suicidal passes Webster made to the opposition today, one resulting in a goal, he would have been crucified on here.

Yes I know Webster has been out for a while and is clearly not match fit but he cost us a win imo :shrug:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
We’ll still be last on MOTD because the other matches all count for something. Meh!

Ahem!

8AE7D059-89A6-426A-9A27-ABC10D4A9C0D.jpeg

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Also I’m sorry but say what you want about Gross and what he has done - but he slows us down so much and is a liability to run into a ball or get into a race man for man.

Except that Gross has just played every minute v Arsenal, Spurs and Man City where we came away with six points. And once he came on today, our second half performance improved noticeably as we got a measure of control.

(And he 'scored' what could/should have been the winner!)

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Except that Gross has just played every minute v Arsenal, Spurs and Man City where we came away with six points. And once he came on today, our second half performance improved noticeably as we got a measure of control.

This.

I’d add to that we really missed Bissouma today, no way is JWP scoring that 2nd with Yves on the pitch, we have no real replacement and if he goes I think we need to go to the market to replace him.

Potter made mistakes today, starting Maupay ahead of a 5th midfielder and starting Webster who clearly isn’t fully match fit. Both cost us.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
It’s a long thread and I haven’t read it so this may have already been mentioned.

If Duffy had been playing and had the made the four suicidal passes Webster made to the opposition today, one resulting in a goal, he would have been crucified on here.

Yes I know Webster has been out for a while and is clearly not match fit but he cost us a win imo :shrug:

He does this every time he comes back from injury. Give him a couple more games and he stops making these dreadful passes.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Absolutely! Really surprised Gross didn't start. When he initially came on he seemed to go to wing back, but was quickly changed to being more central with Trossard filling that role. When he's got pace around him, he is superb at picking spaces for the ball, running into spaces, and just wanting the ball all the time. He deserved the goal.

It was a bold line-up by Potter in terms of looking to win the game and being attacking, however I felt the diamond behind a front 2 of Welbeck and Maupay didn't quite work, and left Mac Allister a bit exposed at the base of the diamond, and Mwepu and Caicedo not sufficiently covering the width.

Again, once we switched to a 3 at the back, got the extra body (Gross) in midfield, we wrestled back control of the second half that started pretty badly, not just the equaliser, but for 10mins it looked like Southampton were going for a winner.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Absolutely! Really surprised Gross didn't start. When he initially came on he seemed to go to wing back, but was quickly changed to being more central with Trossard filling that role. When he's got pace around him, he is superb at picking spaces for the ball, running into spaces, and just wanting the ball all the time. He deserved the goal.

It was a bold line-up by Potter in terms of looking to win the game and being attacking, however I felt the diamond behind a front 2 of Welbeck and Maupay didn't quite work, and left Mac Allister a bit exposed at the base of the diamond, and Mwepu and Caicedo not sufficiently covering the width.

Again, once we switched to a 3 at the back, got the extra body (Gross) in midfield, we wrestled back control of the second half that started pretty badly, not just the equaliser, but for 10mins it looked like Southampton were going for a winner.

Good post, all points.

My son thought MacA had an awful match, giving away dangerous possession. But it seemed to me that he was played in a very non-MacA position as a deep lying Pirlo-esque quarterback, with the very inexperienced Mwepu and Caicedo having no structure/discipline to their game this time around. Leaving him very exposed, no one to pass to.

Gross’s arrival changed everything for the better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here