Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester United *** Official Match Thread ***

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Last player to hit the post three times in a Premier League game; Ronaldo, Man Utd v Newcastle. Not a bad player to follow in the stats. Killer Whale criticising our finishing is just a wind up. Another day we’d have scored 4/5. Perhaps we can save those for Yorkshire’s second team.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Actually, we are good enough at this current moment. More than good enough.

Keep playing like that every week ( & that's 3 great performances out of 3) & we will easily turn over many teams. We look like an accomplished side right now, the quotes of "were not quite good enough" are way off the mark on current form.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Talking about the bigger games, today and Chelsea. But whilst we’re at it, never make the mistake of thinking we can’t lower our play to the standard of a poorer side. Blimey Green, you really are if think we can’t. I think quite is the operative word. The very essence of today. Or we’d have got a result. We didn’t. Again. Despite some excellent play. That’s why ‘not quite’ isn’t way off the as you say but spot on. It means we can perform very well, but lack just that bit of quality to win such games. Palace call it Zaha. It’s why they beat Liverpool, United, Chelsea, City etc, even away from home, or draw and we generally don’t. It’s why we’ve just hit the post a record number of times in a single game. And, sadly, now have the worst home record this year despite many ‘plucky’, ‘unlucky’ and even ‘yucky’ displays. Still, at least we’ve the best away record over last nine games. After finishing bottom of the away league for three seasons. Typical Albion. Fortress Amex becomes a sandcastle at the same time the away bus becomes a tank. You can never have both seemingly!

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I thought it was an outstanding performance and we played them off the park. Alzate ensured we really didn’t miss Biss that much. Trossard was dangerous throughout and Solly had a great game imo. Rashford’s goal was Best-like but apart from that we had all the best play and were stylish throughout. We had some bad luck with a few decisions and the woodwork was not with us td. I know we’ve had a few good wins against the Big 6 but for me this was by far our best performance. Yes we need to cut out giving a goal back straight away and giving away needless free kicks and penalties but this was a great display with an unfortunate and undeserved final outcome. Well played GP and all - hope the second string can gain revenge on Wed.

Last edited:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Relax, we've out played Chelsea and Man Utd so far. Two teams with a combined starting line up that cost around £1000,000,000.

"The reward of our work is not what we get, but what we become."

Paulo Coelho

This X 1000.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
As furious as I am with the officials, we’ve conceded a minute after scoring twice now, and are conceding some soft goals. We’re too nice at present, if we’re not careful we’re going to be playing lovely attacking football, but still fighting at the bottom.

Or having really fun games against the top 6 and spanking everyone else. So far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Who else thinks that, at some point this season, we are going to absolutely tonk an opposition side?

We've been superb in our first three games and unlucky with two of the results. I'd imagine the players are going to be really fired up for the next games.

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
You would have a valid point if we had not scored 2.

You had eighteen shots on goal, five on target, of which two were goals.

Hitting the woodwork clearly counts as five of the off target shots, which goes to show that there are lies, damned lies and statistics. Hitting the post or the bar shows a fantastic chance that has beaten the goalkeeper and which is all but goal bound, a far far more meaningful stat than a shot on target but comfortably saved.

I agree that hitting the frame of the goal once or twice in a game might be bad luck, but five times?? You are crying out for a top class striker to reach the next level, it seems to me.

But what do I know, and indeed who cares what I think? :lol:

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Now that the steam has stopped spewing from just about every orifice, after that utter travesty, I take solace in the fact that we played some pretty superb football and on any other given day, 2 or 3 of those shots would have hit the inside of the woodwork, rather than ricocheted back into open play.
If we can play that well, for just half the season, I hold no fears for a relegation fight, this season - we look good....very, good, at times.
(I'm still trying to accept the extra few minutes, on top of the stated extra time, but that's for the referee's conscience to deal with, but it's impossible to justify. imho.)

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Added on time for our goal though. And there isn’t, if the foul is committed before the whistle. We just need to concentrate, not difficult
Yet the moment we kicked off after their goal, the whistl went.
No added time for the pen var etc?

Seems like job done.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Who else thinks that, at some point this season, we are going to absolutely tonk an opposition side?

We've been superb in our first three games and unlucky with two of the results. I'd imagine the players are going to be really fired up for the next games.

Last week wasn't far off!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yet the moment we kicked off after their goal, the whistl went.
No added time for the pen var etc?

Seems like job done.

No, because the ref deemed there to be no more time after Maupay handled the ball. The VAR enquiries took place after the time was all done. There just isn’t an exact formula to all this and sometimes you just have to accept the ref’s verdict.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
You guys are Playing well. United are gash, should be 2-1 to Brighton.

Your fella up front needs to cut out the diving and just carry on passed Maguire and get a shot off.

pot-kettle-black.jpg

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
You had eighteen shots on goal, five on target, of which two were goals.

Hitting the woodwork clearly counts as five of the off target shots, which goes to show that there are lies, damned lies and statistics. Hitting the post or the bar shows a fantastic chance that has beaten the goalkeeper and which is all but goal bound, a far far more meaningful stat than a shot on target but comfortably saved.

I agree that hitting the frame of the goal once or twice in a game might be bad luck, but five times?? You are crying out for a top class striker to reach the next level, it seems to me.

But what do I know, and indeed who cares what I think? :lol:

Tl;dr

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The pain would have been worse if I wasn't watching the game

Capture.JPG

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
BBC

'Brighton hit the woodwork five times in this game, the most team any team has done in a single Premier League game since Opta started recording this data (2003-04)'

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Now that the steam has stopped spewing from just about every orifice, after that utter travesty, I take solace in the fact that we played some pretty superb football and on any other given day, 2 or 3 of those shots would have hit the inside of the woodwork, rather than ricocheted back into open play.
If we can play that well, for just half the season, I hold no fears for a relegation fight, this season - we look good....very, good, at times.
(I'm still trying to accept the extra few minutes, on top of the stated extra time, but that's for the referee's conscience to deal with, but it's impossible to justify. imho.)

I feel like we've said that so often since GP took over. When are these other given days going to come (against the big teams)?

I agree though overall

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There was once a half time competition in a major rugby game where fans were invited to kick from the half way line. If they hit the middle post they won £250,000. One person manged it.

I think maybe Trossard should take a look for when the next one is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here