Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Liverpool *** Official Match Thread ***

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Right, we've bossed that 1st half and deserve to be ahead with the chances.

If we can finally defend a set-piece, we're on for a point at least.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The problem is that VAR exists. Its totally ruining the spontaneous nature of football, surely you can see that?

The concept of VAR is fine. The implementation of it in football has been terrible. Accepted that they’re different games, but it works in cricket and both codes of Rugby. I think the main difference is that its use in those sports is initiated either by the on-field ref of via the captain of the team in cricket. Having a referee forensicly examine every goal looking for a technicality is what it ruining the game.

boik

Very good first half.

Liverpool far from at their best, but we can take partial credit for that.

Lots of positives.

- Veltman has been immense
- Bissouma looking top class
- Connolly's runs are outstanding, shame he isn't more clinical

We have been the better team, and more likely looking to win. Didn't think I'd be saying that come half time.

HOWEVER, Liverpool will punish us if they get half a chance, like Salah's world class finishing for his disallowed goal.

Conolly was dead-eye with the U23s. I think it will come.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But in the real world, no-one would have really thought that was offside, and no-one would really have complained about it being a goal.

No one? Radio Sussex nailed it as offside straight away; couldn't understand what took VAR so long.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
What ruins games is offside goals being given wrongly

Yeah, cause VAR has totally cleared things up and been applied in a really sensible manner.

Still at least it's eliminated the joyous spontaneity of scoring for players and fans alike. I hated that, it's dogged football throughout its entire history until now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's hard not to cast my mind back to last night.

The Albion have turned up with:-

- New formation.
- New strategy.
- Arguably the better side v Liverpool.
- Connolly first start in months and scaring the b'jesus out of them.

palace lost 2-0 to Newcastle in one of the most predictable games ever.

Now they might still end this weekend with better goal difference, but at least we get to watch...

...FOOTBALL.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Be positive, we are still in the game........

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Based on the way we now play, I wonder if at some point Uncle Tony (who I will never ever question) might have the confidence to splash out on a top quality striker? Put one on the front of this team and you'd have a 15+ goals a season player.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
IMG_655461DD9136-1.jpeg

Dan from London with a halftime #TeamsLikeBrighton on BBC live reporting.

Jul 20, 2003
exciting isn't it.

2 things

1) We have a German on the pitch for penalties (FFS)

2) Brad Friedel looks like Josh Haden, the front man for obscure US band 'Spain'.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
But in the real world, no-one would have really thought that was offside, and no-one would really have complained about it being a goal.

Agreed but without VAR I reckon that would’ve been flagged 8 out of 10 time’s maybe. He was so far behind Webster and White was a long way away. White needs to work on his defensive lines - that’s twice he’s nearly cost us this game. Not sure what that old foreign bloke at Leeds was teaching him in the second division last season.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Let's hope we don't get Fulham in Monday's FA Cup 3rd Round draw.

If it goes to penalties, we'll be here all day.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Unfortunately I think we’ve missed our opportunity. We should have been in front by at least a goal, maybe two. You can’t let opportunities like these go by. Liverpool will adapt at HT and I think we will pay the price.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here