Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Frank Lampard's Chelsea *** Official Match Thread ***

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
And I prefer Potter’s commonsense approach. He’s not hiding behind James’s low grade chance being converted, he’s looking at why we allowed him to be in a shooting position so easily. I’m afraid we’ll only improve if that’s the approach we take

LI, I'm not saying we can't learn from it, of course we can. I'm saying that we did create chances, and the better chances at that.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I don't think you played like Leeds, and Chelsea certainly didn't play like Liverpool.

Unless they improve massively on tonight's performance I will be astounded if they win the title for all the megabucks spent. They were there for the taking.

Liverpool were awful the other evening. They won't play worse than that all season. They were there for the taking.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
How come the Mods still allow you as a trolling CP to appear hear?

After gifting Liverpool early goals, Lamptey and co tore Liverpool apart for the best part of an hour. Our old nemesis of lack of finishing cost the Albion.

On the night NSC was in heaven.

Albion tiring late on, Liverpool brought on the cavalry and sealed the game.

NSC’ers - is my synopsis of Liverpool’s last visit to the Amex fair or bollocks?

You’re being awfully precious. You rip Leeds apart, basically saying they should beat Liverpool. And go on to say that since February they’ve been there for taking. But our plucky loss was a good result? Look mate I’m not Palace or Leeds but that kind of stuff is cringe. Quite clearly Leeds performed better against Liverpool than we did and quite clearly their performance overall was better than ours tonight. It’s not the end of the world- you’re not being a traitor if you admit these things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People are being a little harsh on Maupay, it wasn’t a cast iron chance like Dunk’s. You could see his run slightly overran the whipped backward curl of Lamptey’s cross, it became difficult to score once that happened, he was trying to twist backwards hence the mistiming. If Lamptey’s cross edges a couple of foot further forward it might have been very different. Still the same guy praised to the rooftops for the 6 Arsenal points

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You’re being awfully precious. You rip Leeds apart, basically saying they should beat Liverpool. And go on to say that since February they’ve been there for taking. But our plucky loss was a good result? Look mate I’m not Palace or Leeds but that kind of stuff is cringe. Quite clearly Leeds performed better against Liverpool than we did and quite clearly their performance overall was better than ours tonight. It’s not the end of the world- you’re not being a traitor if you admit these things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fits is a Crystal Palace supporting shit stirring troll.

Who appears every now and then to stick his big nose in.

Unwelcome.

LI, I'm not saying we can't learn from it, of course we can. I'm saying that we did create chances, and the better chances at that.

Not enough to win a Premiership game. We scored a goal that was helped by a keeper error. Dunk’s very good chance, Maupay’s chance that was much harder than it looked and Alzate’s speculator that nearly all keepers would have saved. It’s really not enough to expect to win games

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Not enough to win a Premiership game. We scored a goal that was helped by a keeper error. Dunk’s very good chance, Maupay’s chance that was much harder than it looked and Alzate’s speculator that nearly all keepers would have saved. It’s really not enough to expect to win games

What about a terrible defensive error that leads to being given a penalty, a long range shot out of the blue that hits the top corner and a nothing shot that gets deflected past the keeper. Is that enough to expect to win games?

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

Dunk's chance is scored 4 out of ten, Maupay and Connolly both had 3.8 out of 10 chances. We do of course need a striker - because we consistently under perform our 'expected goals. Which is either bad luck over god knows how many games, or poor finishing.

They might not seem like gilt-edged chances to us, but they are actually decent. A penalty is only scored 8 out of 10 times.

I find the statistics very useful in understanding whether players really should have scored a chance or not. You could argue that none of our three good chances were over 50%... but we did have three of them and scored zero. Trossard's shot was like James' - 2 in every 100 shots like that go in... it was definitely lucky that Kepa flunked it. Or I guess it could be argued he's a bit of a shit keeper - I've not looked at the numbers but the noise about him certainly indicates he's no good

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
What about a terrible defensive error that leads to being given a penalty, a long range shot out of the blue that hits the top corner and a nothing shot that gets deflected past the keeper. Is that enough to expect to win games?

Chelsea will win the league if they keep scoring 1 in 50 chances like that.

Mind you, so will Leeds given how they converted three from barely any good chances.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I thought it was a good performance with a disappointing result. Little to choose between us and them apart from the numbers that count. Both sides restricted the other to few clear-cut chances - we actually had the better of it I thought and I am heartened by the display - lots of positives. First time in ages GP’s team was easier to predict and I think we’ll see more consistency in team selection this year. We’ve come a heck of a long way in the past few years and I have faith we’re going to continue to give it our best shot. That doesn’t necessarily mean splashing £30m+ on Locadia 2 The Sequel however much we want another striker - I’m just enjoying the ride seeing us mix it with FL’s Chelsea and the like and not looking out of place. Come on Albion!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Dunk's chance is scored 4 out of ten, Maupay and Connolly both had 3.8 out of 10 chances. We do of course need a striker - because we consistently under perform our 'expected goals. Which is either bad luck over god knows how many games, or poor finishing.

They might not seem like gilt-edged chances to us, but they are actually decent. A penalty is only scored 8 out of 10 times.

I find the statistics very useful in understanding whether players really should have scored a chance or not. You could argue that none of our three good chances were over 50%... but we did have three of them and scored zero. Trossard's shot was like James' - 2 in every 100 shots like that go in... it was definitely lucky that Kepa flunked it. Or I guess it could be argued he's a bit of a shit keeper - I've not looked at the numbers but the noise about him certainly indicates he's no good

All this stuff is shit and generalised. We have no cutting edge 90% of the time. We gift goals to big a % of time and we lost 100% because of it.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

We’re always good for a gifted goal. We don’t have enough shots to get deflections. We scored a quality long range effort tonight ourselves mind. That still leaves us 2 nil down most games on that basis. Need a striker don’t we? Need to consistently be scoring 2-3 goals every game to stand a chance of three points given the former two scenarios are depressingly familiar no matter how badly the other team plays.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

I hate the modern game and it’s nerdy obsession with statistics. The only one that counts is the score. FFS, stop citing stats people. Everyone knows they mean bollocks. Switch off your targeting computers. Use your eyes. Let go, trust me. Reach out with your feelings.

Err yes? They won 3-1. Very comfortably. I'd have liked us to force telling errors and hit worldies into top corners. And frankly I'm gratified that Potter's assessment was downbeat afterwards because it's important he doesn't live in a world of denial

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
All this stuff is shit and generalised. We have no cutting edge 90% of the time. We gift goals to big a % of time and we lost 100% because of it.

You may not like it, but we are deep into the information age, and the amount of detail gathered about this is incredible. Of course there is an amount of generalisation, because the data doesn't include wind, surface condition, the precise position the foot hits the ball, etc. But for headed shots from that position, with the defenders in similar places, the ball crossed in from a similar position, Dunk's chance is scored an average of 40% of the time.

I know that many people find that utterly useless, and the only thing that matters is gut feel, but there are others who think the information does have a value.

Perhaps it's just because I'm so incredibly young and handsome.

And by young and handsome, I mean 40s and bald.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
It tells you a hell of a lot actually. It tells you that we gave Chelsea a good game and it really should have been a draw. It says we are creating chances and working the ball into good areas. It means we are close to be a top half team. Using the statistics can tell you a lot. If you simply look at the score it gives a VERY one dimensional view of a game - in fact it almost tells you nothing about what happened.

Hmmm, like those games where we have 73% possession, didn’t score and lose 5 nil? Lies lies and damned lies. Themes the facts!

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Hmmm, like those games where we have 73% possession, didn’t score and lose 5 nil? Lies lies and damned lies. Themes the facts!

That particular nugget tells you that we had the ball more than the opponents. It doesn't tell you what we did with it - aside from kick off 6 times! :D

If someone only cares about the result, then the only info they need is the scoreline. If they want to know how we played, they either need to watch the game and form their opinion, based on whatever they use for that. Or they look further into the available information. Some of us look at today and think, we created sod all there - because they must think those three decent chances were crap. They equally think that Chelsea created loads more. That's all opinion-based. xG is far from perfect, but it's miles more accurate than the gut feel of any individual. imho tbh

Is it though. Dunk’s chance a 4 and Maupay’s 3.8? Hmmmmm, nah

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Well at least the neutrals and the Chelsea fans thought it was a fantastic Brighton performance even if a lot of you guys dont.

Lets hope empty stadiums will remain a thing for a long while so that this young team doesnt have to deal with your mindless negativity and ridiculous expectations.

Have to agree with this to a certain extent. At home there is negativity from a sizeable minority of fans and not enough getting behind the team.
Completely different away though where pretty much everyone gets behind the team for the whole game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here