Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion vs Doncaster Rovers *** Official Match Thread ***

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Just back,can hardly speak,never thought i would see the day.Amazing scenes,couldn't have scripted it better.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I've watched pretty much all of Albion's most momentous games of the past 38 years (and most of the worst) and I have to say that the atmosphere was really special today, outstanding in fact, even when compared to those promotion matches at the Goldstone. Amazing, simply amazing. And the roar when our goals went in! Wow!

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
We're currently second! Most importantly whatever else happens today we're above palace.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Wanker! Let me come and kick you up in the air and see how f***ing quickly you hop up.

The booing of Sharp today was a disgrace. Brighton fans have gone down in my estimation. At least Ilderton is still your mate.

Did you see some of your tackles before this?.Could have easily led to the same.
Hope Billy Sharpe recovers quickly.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Looks like South Coast Club have nicked our automatic promotion spot, just hope we can keep up with them this season.:facepalm:

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Just back,can hardly speak,never thought i would see the day.Amazing scenes,couldn't have scripted it better.

I couldn't have put it better myself Bright on Q.

I guess that I better carry on with the 'Official Match Threads' then......

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Wanker! Let me come and kick you up in the air and see how f***ing quickly you hop up.

What goes around comes around. There were plenty of heavy challenges from both sides.

Of the 5 yellow cards, 3 Rovers players were booked for unsporting behaviour - this tells its own story.

I can understand that you're sore about losing in the last few minutes and you've been unlucky with injuries, but you're badly misjudging this.

As for blaming the referee, it's the last refuge for a poor argument.

I guess you are referring to the Spurr challenges in the main here? Both of them were attempts to play the ball ahead of the Albion player, whereas Dunk's challenge on Billy was a cynical scythe down from behind - with not a hope of getting to the ball.

Face facts - it was a red card challenge, and Eddie Ilderton bottling it swung the game in your favour.

And I stand by the booing comment. I expected more from the Brighton fans.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I guess you are referring to the Spurr challenges in the main here? Both of them were attempts to play the ball ahead of the Albion player, whereas Dunk's challenge on Billy was a cynical scythe down from behind - with not a hope of getting to the ball.

Face facts - it was a red card challenge, and Eddie Ilderton bottling it swung the game in your favour.

There was also a knee-high studs up challenge on Barnes which was a definite red card.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

The booing of Sharp today was a disgrace. Brighton fans have gone down in my estimation. At least Ilderton is still your mate.

It's true there wasn't enough clapping as he went off but there was some, me included. With so much diving and faking these days, a person staying on the ground for so long in the 90th minute without a stretcher is bound to cause annoyance. If the stretcher was brought on more quickly the booing probably wouldnt have happened.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003

If anyone booed it was probably because at first there didn't seem any urgency regarding the injury.Normally for a broken leg all hell brakes loose.It took ages to decide they wanted a stretcher on.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Actually I thought Naylor's challenge on Barnes was worse. High, late and dangerous - straight red. The ref bottled that one.

The only facts to face are that Rovers had 3 bookings for unsporting behaviour and that they eventually ran out of players due to substitutions.

I'll concur with you here. Never boo a player lying injured, regardless of what time is on the clock.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
[MENTION=20713]RTR[/MENTION] i did'nt want your star man injured, i just wanted him off the pitch, they could of put him on the stretcher sooner. it was nothing compared to the lunge on lua lua in the first half and was not that malicious.

its a different league - teams are tough and strong, and can beat you into defeat by pressing and being physically niggly.........it was a good lesson for us.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Press high and pressurise the opponents is the Championship way (but you cannot do this for the whole match).
I prefer the Poyet patient style, but it does require midfielders who do not lose the ball.

Doncaster did their best (almost succeeded) to stop Albion playing their natural game:

How to make the opposition play the long ball game | Tactics | FourFourTwo Performance

The trouble with playing this way is that Doncaster ran out of steam. They kept trying to play a high line, but Albion played the longish ball quite accurately at times. It seemed to me that Albion did not play two holding midfielders as would be expected. This left Bridcutt in a bit of trouble when he was out of position and lost possession and he was lucky not to get booked for innocuous professional fouls. Gus got it right in the second half.

Countering a team that press high up the pitch | Tactics | FourFourTwo Performance

The midfield is the key and they have to evade their tacklers (including the foulers) which Craig Noone did better than the others. But Doncaster were tiring by then.

Craig Mackail-Smith looked a better bet than Glenn Murray and Will Buckley (whom I expected to start) looked better than Elliott Bennett.

It was worrying early on when Billy Sharp created space and blasted wide, but I think was just a risk we had to take in order to try score ourselves. That is because they had an extra midfielder. Lucky he wasn't that good on the day!

Their coloured full back with an unpronouncable name looked quite good if not so quick as was advertised. He was a match for CMS.

Pompey getting a draw at Middlesbro' and Millwall at Reading were the only surprises. I did not expect Palace to lose at Peterborough.

Elliott Benett impressed in the first half for Norwich (Crofts was injured).
Norwich City 3, Parma 0 - Sport - Norwich Evening News

I said on the forcecast thread that the only team we had a chance of winnign 3-0 against would be Leeds.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
If anyone booed it was probably because at first there didn't seem any urgency regarding the injury.Normally for a broken leg all hell brakes loose.It took ages to decide they wanted a stretcher on.

Absolutely this. We were booing due to the fact that is was clear that he was severely injured, so the stretcher should've been on pretty much immediately. Took about 5-10 minutes for it to come on, was pathetic.

And the referee was so biased towards Donny it was ridiculous. He had an absolute mare of a day.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Spurrs challenges were recklessly dangerous and likely to cause injury and amounted to deliberate intimidation. Dunk just tried to stop the man cause he was in the wrong position.

Trouble is this referee was unable to recognise professional fouls and his judgment was not really Championship standard. I don't think Gus Poyet factored the referee into his tactics first half. It is a long time since we played a side that was quite so physically reckless with their tackles.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Worth a lol at the match report on the Doncaster Rovers official website. It reads like a bad translation.

http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10329~58429,00.html#continue

"Then calamity for the Rovers. Hayter was injured and carried off on a stretcher leaving the Rovers with ten men just a minute after they had made their final substitution. According to the referee the time taken up by the two injuries had mounted up to 7 minutes because that was what was added on. Thus, it came about in the 95th minute that BUCKLEY was put clear down their left. Taking the ball on he calmly slotted past Woods into the far corner of the net for a winning goal."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here