Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Burnley *** Official Match Thread ***

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I know you’re the eternal Albion doom monger, but I’d like to know the positive arguments from others that the Potter Project is steering us to EPL mid table security.

To me we seem shaky at the back against everyone and completely sterile up front. A lack of real pace other than Lamptey, no threat through the middle, a gaggle of giant CB’s who never score headed goals.

I'd like to think I'm relatively reasonable but I'm edging towards a change of manager being needed. As you say we don't look great either up front or at the back, we play some lovely stuff but we can't keep firing blanks, it points to poor management to be honest. I firmly believe we have more than enough personnel wise but the manager isn't getting the best out of them for me.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Not a good performance. Some glimpses of a decent side, especially when the ball is moved through Lallana. But poor decision making and / or bad technique in the final 3rd and Pope didn't really break sweat.

Personally I don't think Gross is up to it, nor is Burn (not as LWB anyway). Crying out for Alzate to start with Biss.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
What is the point in bringing on Jahanbaksh when he crosses it into their 7 foot goalkeepers arms TWICE in under a minute in stoppage time. Twice. Why bring on a crosser with their defence Potter you bland idiot? Okay 1 point but it’s that second half performance against WBA than is unforgivable. Yet we plod on accepting mediocrity and mehness. Comes from Potter imo. Dan Burn is NOT A wing back. That moment when he could have dribbled it into the area. Instead he slices it out like a child or just a centre back! Love our approach play but we’re so impotent I almost miss the grind (note Potter getting the job was the right decision). At least there’s the Trump Biden thread. We just accept a point here or there.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think we played well and we’re by far the best team on the pitch. We were just let down a bit by Maupay who I thought was quite poor today. If those chances had fallen to AJ or Conolly it may have been a very different result.

And on the plus side it’s a clean sheet. I’m still team Potter.
I have faith we will turn this corner.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Disappointing, very disappointing

But who’s to blame?

I don’t see it’s potters fault, 10 shots (7 on target) and the subs show we went for it.

Out strikers and midfielders need to take responsibly here and put it right, quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The stats according to BBC Sussex, say that we are 2 points AHEAD against the same sides, so far.

Need to calm down way too early for panicking.

Totally agree. If we were playing badly I'd be very worried. We're not, we're just not getting the breaks. Definitely some question marks around team selection/sustitutions/tactics but we're a decent, entertaing side who just need a bit of luck.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Clean sheet. Positive.
Welbeck 82mins. Positive.
Dominated the game, created chances. Positive.
Can't score. Negative.

It's just not quite coming together in the final third. Over playing it when we need a quick shot, underplaying it when we need a bit of composure. Just hasn't clicked up top.

Despite committing a lot of players forward, Burnley barely a sniff, and Ryan stood up to a really stern test under those crosses. We're a very good side just waiting to burst into life at some point.

Excellent post. It’s frustrating as it’s been like this all season. I don’t think it’s a case of a new striker would have made much difference. Maupay, Welbs & Connolly are decent enough for our level - it just doesn’t seem to want to happen. But a decent performance again - anyone saying it wasn’t needs to learn football and look at the difference between the 2 sides from intent to general football ability...

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Also this is from the BBC...

FULL-TIME
Brighton 0-0 Burnley

The result that game deserved. Not the best!

Like it or not, that is how the neutrals see it.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
I know everyone will talk about the pretty football meme but we were more direct tonight.

Nice, faster one touch football in final third.
Welbeck nice addition. Needs more match sharpness.

Lallana absolutely gdlk.
Lamptey quality and interesting role with some freedom it seems.
Biss taking direct free kicks is good.

Frustrating, obviously, but I am not disheartened.
The project is progressing.

Looking forward to all the Potter haters (with very short memories) coming out of the woodwork.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I know you’re the eternal Albion doom monger, but I’d like to know the positive arguments from others that the Potter Project is steering us to EPL mid table security.

To me we seem shaky at the back against everyone and completely sterile up front. A lack of real pace other than Lamptey, no threat through the middle, a gaggle of giant CB’s who never score headed goals.

I don’t have a lot to be positive about! We play well for about 30 mins a game, don’t score and then run out of steam. Potter seems to have issues in the dressing room, hence Ryan, Maupay being dropped. He brings a keeper in that hasn’t been in the squad who does fine and then drops him from the squad totally putting the bloke he didn’t trust to play against Spuds back on the bench as a sub keeper. He plays Ben White out of position, doesn’t seem to like Alzate at the moment! No recognised forward against Spuds.
For all the fancy passing we never look like winning! He must have the worst home record of any manger in the top flight!
Stick with this fool and all the hard work to get up to the Prem will be wasted!

D

Deleted member 2719

That’s a completely meaningless statistic. If we consistently can’t win games that we dominate we will go down. We have taken two points at home against the two relegation favourites. That is relegation form no doubt.

Hang in there Dan, we will be fine.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Why did we cross so much? We never normally cross that much and then we play Burnley and decide to cross non stop all night? Utterly bizarre quite frankly. Wouldn’t mind if they were low drilled crosses for Maupay/Welbeck but we kept playing those stupid loopy ones.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I'm thinking (because I am glass half full), that we're one of those sides on a slow burner that once it starts to properly click, we'll really start to kick on. :D

I’d love to be with you on this but I think this is peak with the current 11. Can’t see another dimension to the game. We just don’t have a goal scorer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here