Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Aston Villa *** Official Match Thread ***

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
shaky defence? yep i agree, and one thing we didnt have last seasons even with the dirge we had to watch was a shaky defence.

I dont get why we dont play the 2 best centre halfs at the club in defence. Duffy and Dunk are the best 2 defenders and so far Webster, whilst not totally shite, looks like an over priced waste of money, he's nowhere near as good a defender as Duffy imho :annoyed:

Agree. Webster had no idea where Grealish was for the goal and if he had would have easily blocked the pass. Also Duffy is one of the very few players we have that has some cojones and leadership. Must go back to him and Dunky to shore it up.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
They’ve spent £200m+ in transfer fees, so we can’t keep claiming they’ve lived on buttons.

If we somehow manage to stay up, the club needs acquire players with the energy to last 90 minutes against athletic PL opponents.

Agree with this about fitness. Was going to start a thread about it. We fade badly in games second half- why?? Costing us points big time. The more tired the more mistakes due to poor concentration

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Fecking rubbish Brighton. Our defending this season is embarrassing. Recruitment team should be sacked they’ve spunked 20 mil on Webster. The villa goal was again partly his fault. His positioning and reading of the game is awful. It all started with Mooy giving it away and Stephens not putting a tackle in to knock the ball out of play. Montoya was equally shite. The players look totally lost with Potters tactics. Our other problem is we have not got enough big ugly ******** like Troy deeney. We are so soft.

How you are putting any blame on Stephens for their goal is beyond me. Total hospital pass from Mooy.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree with this about fitness. Was going to start a thread about it. We fade badly in games second half- why?? Costing us points big time. The more tired the more mistakes due to poor concentration

I don’t think it’ll be that often churned out “poor conditioning, what are the club doing with them in the week?”.

Propper, Montoya and Gross will always be sluggish at PL level, pace and dynamism for 90 minutes simply isn’t in their physiology. Connolly is barely a kid, he fades. Maupay hated playing against powerful and pacey CB’s today, it sucked the energy out of him. Trossard’s slight, he kind of got bullied out of the second half.

I don’t think in the main that we recruit quality players with pace, power, who can last 90 minutes. Bissouma is a raw work in progress who ticks the athletic boxes, but he’s a loose cannon, unaware of team-mates.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Am concerned re constant tinkering of team and not knowing our best formation
Many times the subs seem very strange

Also why are we so timid getting early balls/crosses into the box?

Gross and Mooy have little pace and need to be played in right positions if they get game time

Webster has scored 3 goals but his errors must have cost us 5 or more goals - maybe we need Duffy for the relegation scrap

Connolly and Maupay did not work and agree that AC needs time in Champo to learn his trade- like Molumby

No real decent width and very unsure if certain players are any better than Locadia and Knockaert

Considering we have so many senior recruitment people our signings have been very hit and miss

Really think unless we get a proven goal scorer who is more physical than Maupay we willget sucked into the relegation battle

Quite a few of our goals in previous seasons came from good crosses and muzza's head, we're certainly missing that width with crosses and someone physical to attack the ball.

Trying to pass it through the lines is proving limited often. We've got a great target man and header of the ball and some cracking crossers. If plan A aint working maybe we need a little bit more Burnley at times and a little bit less Barcelona.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I’m afraid Potter is showing his naivety and his short comings at this level. I do think, with the right players he will be fine but needs to adapt to the players ability levels he has now. The squad is not good enough though and staying up will be a close run thing!

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Villa are shockingly bad - they must go down. But we couldn’t beat them, that’s a huge worry!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Webster at fault, again, for the goal.

He must be on Janet and John level one equivalent in reading of the game. Time and again he’s not in the correct position and appears to not see players behind him.

Grealish touched the ball about 5 times the whole game. One being when Webster failed to be in the right area. Goal!

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Villa are shockingly bad - they must go down. But we couldn’t beat them, that’s a huge worry!

First half they were incredibly bad. There must have been about 5 plays in a row where one of their players passed the ball straight out of play. Not that we were too convincing ourselves, but we were comfortable.

The fact that we then let them come at us the way they did and come away with a point, unfortunate not to get all 3, was fvcking criminal and really bloody depressing from our point of view. They were fecking useless first half!! Really worrying today.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France

He must be on Janet and John level one equivalent in reading of the game. Time and again he’s not in the correct position and appears to not see players behind him.

Grealish touched the ball about 5 times the whole game. One being when Webster failed to be in the right area. Goal!

Janet and John level one :lolol::lolol:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

How on earth does Webster get the blame for Mooy giving the ball away? And Grealish was everywhere - I have no idea where you get your 5 touches from unless you missed a 0.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Awful 2nd half devoid of any ideas and playing high balls upto to the two smallest forwards in th PL. The Villa back four must've loved one of the easiest 90mins they will have all season. Villa were terrible by the way

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
How on earth does Webster get the blame for Mooy giving the ball away? And Grealish was everywhere - I have no idea where you get your 5 touches from unless you missed a 0.

If we concede a goal when Webster is on the pitch, the he’s to blame. That’s NSC rules.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Because he didn’t ****ing defend. Simple really.

Grealish didn’t touch the ball for 30 minutes in the first half.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here