Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Arsenal *** Official Match Thread ***

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Agree. Wasn’t expecting anything with our two best players and midfield core missing against the runaway leaders, and was further expecting a massive drubbing at 3-0. Credit to DeZ and the lads for a spirited fightback and VAR can **** right off for ruining what could have been an epic end to the match. Thought it was a bit odd that Veltman didn’t start, Gilmour improved significantly in the second half and Ferguson looked a right handful. Plenty of positives, free hit, no real harm done.
Exactly that - Southampton away and leaders home - 3 points - yes pls, deal!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Appreciate why he does it but was surprised manager included Lampty for praise. I thought his defending was dross . First goal 100% down to him and although was not concerned when forward got ball for fourth goal was surprised he was outpaced and then didnt get a tackle in.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Appreciate why he does it but was surprised manager included Lampty for praise. I thought his defending was dross . First goal 100% down to him and although was not concerned when forward got ball for fourth goal was surprised he was outpaced and then didnt get a tackle in.
An experiment that didn't come off today. At all

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
An experiment that didn't come off today. At all
Gutted and perplexed to see Veltman NOT in the starting 11. Last time we did that, no surprise, another home loss to Villa.

I’m praying that RDZ doesn’t try and be too clever by alternating.

Veltman is simply a far, far better defender than Lamptey, his experience oozes through.

Besides, I thought it was a long established thing not to muck around with defensive units.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
BBC Comments
1672528485190.png

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Just my opinion based on interviews and outside observation. Connolly and Ferguson are totally different personalities. I'm not sure even if the club sent Connolly out on loan before, we'd have anything but a bit of a dickhead like we do at the moment.

Ferguson comes over as a down to earth kid who doesn't have the dickhead gene. He is the same age as Enciso.
Totally agree. Ferguson comes over as very mature.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Agree. Wasn’t expecting anything with our two best players and midfield core missing against the runaway leaders, and was further expecting a massive drubbing at 3-0. Credit to DeZ and the lads for a spirited fightback and VAR can **** right off for ruining what could have been an epic end to the match. Thought it was a bit odd that Veltman didn’t start, Gilmour improved significantly in the second half and Ferguson looked a right handful. Plenty of positives, free hit, no real harm done.
Exactly……look at our subs bench four who havnt a minute of PL football between them …another three who’ve barely played ….we ended with a front three of Ferguson Sarmiento and Encisco …average age sub 20 etc etc

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I have watched the highlights just now and the Var clearly freezes before the ball reaches Ferguson’s shoulder which was his last touch. When the ball leaves his shoulder mitoma is onside. Really poor because they used the wrong sodding touch. Probably have lost anyway but the last few mins would have been epic.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
The definition of offside includes the following “will "interfere with an opponent", or will "gain an advantage" by being in that position.” This is where VAR falls down as it just looks at a line and these microscopic offside decisions are bollox because a) they don’t have the technology to actually know when the ball is played and b) does someone’s stud being offside actually give them an advantage?!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Think Veltman must have had bruising on his foot post Soton, as he was limping a little when he went off.

Auckland seagull

Aug 26, 2016
Decent effort against a quality side. Arsenal looked lethal every time they entered the final third. Martinelli, Saka and Odegaard are the type of players who will win you the league. Arteta appears to have given them a mean streak and made them hard to beat. That said, it would have been such a different game with Caicedo, Mac and Veltman in the team. I think we could have taken them. Also, Billy Gilmour looked good. Some of his one touch passing through the lines was excellent. Great to have competition for midfield spots.

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
That 3rd goal was so marginal it is no wonder some subscribe to a Big 6 conspiracy theory. The move starts from a throw-in so Mitoma is not “coming back from an off-side position.” The brush off Fergies shoulder is so marginal nobody in the ground said anything. Alan Smith speculated that they were looking for a possible handball.

They still work so hard to find any excuse to write-off a goal you have to wonder if the officials actually hate the game!

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Yes...VAR is appalling. Technically correct but who needs a slide rule approach to a fast moving game?
I faulted Sanchez for 2 of their goals , from the replay. But a spirited performance and it is good to see young players scoring... As for the result? Well, that’s football...

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Yes...VAR is appalling. Technically correct but who needs a slide rule approach to a fast moving game?
I faulted Sanchez for 2 of their goals , from the replay. But a spirited performance and it is good to see young players scoring... As for the result? Well, that’s football...
not sure it is technically correct. With the current technology there is no way to know precisely when the ball has left the boot of the player making the pass. So margins as fine as our (not) third goal are impossible to have confidence in. I think that's the argument for a margin of error - which has to be moor than a stud length I'd have thought.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here