Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Arsenal *** Official Match Thread ***

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Are they players actually playing for Potter? Is that the problem? They don't look like they care. Anyone who doubts this needs to watch other teams more.
It is either this or he is changing the team too much. To go from playing like we did the first 4 games to this is not the players ability, as it was there before. Either way, it can only be rectified by the manager, whether that's a new one, we will see.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Potter just saying that Arsenal are dangerous and can turn defence into attack very quickly. Could we try that FFS!

SEWDONIM

Dec 14, 2020
I honestly think Ashworth has to take a large Portion of blame, he has failed bring in players so desperately needed. Our squad is unbalanced, how many teams sometimes take the field with 4/5 centre backs

Not sure I agree.

He attracted the likes of Welbeck and Lallana, I would suspect he was also aware of Lamptey.

That said, the recruitment seriously needs to be looked at. If we are trying the money all approach, we appear to be looking at the wrong region for it... I’d be looking at Mid table Bundesliga teams...

But alas, I work in banking and not football.... :(

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
It is either this or he is changing the team too much. To go from playing like we did the first 4 games to this is not the players ability, as it was there before. Either way, it can only be rectified by the manager, whether that's a new one, we will see.

Agreed. Sick of this myth that the players aren't good enough. It isn't that. They look scared to play football.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
.View attachment 131886

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

34775836-921D-46CE-B245-275DAE704290.jpeg

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The entitlement is frankly ASTONISHING

I want to applaud but it makes me sad. So true.

How have we become like this? We were such a united fan base? It felt like under Hughton if we went down we’d go down together. Not so now.

There’s a horrible entitled section to our fanbase that’s been cultivated somehow. Maybe it’s just another effect of 2020.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Was a bit worried with team selection as it looked a bit Tinkerman. Surprised how well we played in the first half though and would have deserved to be in front but same old problem hitting the net. Not scoring invited Arsenal to give it a go in the second half, which they did. I think our problem was that it was difficult to see how we could introduce three subs into what we had on the pitch and play cohesively.
Not scoring goals at home has got to the “we really are in danger” stage.
I was disappointed with our discipline and lack of organisation at the back when they scored. How the hell he was left unmarked like that was scandalous.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Brighton & Hove Albion vs Arsenal *** Official Match Thread ***

Mate, this will be the 3rd and final time...if you refuse to acknowledge or understand it this time then there’s nothing else I can do.

My comment was referring to you using our BUDGET as an excuse, not the tracker which you keep talking about for some weird reason :shrug:

You’ll get told that the result doesn’t matter as the ****ing points tracker declared this a free hit, and because we have small budget we shouldn’t expect to ever win games.

I have literally never said this.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Please don't blame MacAllister, Jahanbakhsh, Bernardo or Propper. I believe it was the first start of the season for all of them. We are not where we are because of them. We were not banging them in exactly before this game either and neither MacAllister or Jahanbakhsh are center forwards. Very unfair to be used as such when they need to play behind a center forward and shooting from outside the box or getting crosses in the box. I think all four did very well tonight.

And March, Maupay and Trossard did not change anything once they came on.

I think it's a stretch to say they all played week but I agree with this sentiment.

This is what Potter does with fringe players, he sets them up to fail and ruins their form and confidence.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Yes...but Bissouma was our best player, shirley?

Yes, fair point, he played well. Just a complete lack of pace with most of the other players. Arsenal had one moment of quality that outdid us and quality costs. Are we just prepared to accept that we won’t go to that level of expenditure?
Frankly to make the most of the expansive style of play that Potter makes us play you need quality. We have shown it at times this season but we need our best 11 players on the pitch to make it work and even then we usually can’t win games.
I’m sure that a more pragmatic manager would get more results out of this squad.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I want to applaud but it makes me sad. So true.

How have we become like this? We were such a united fan base? It felt like under Hughton if we went down we’d go down together. Not so now.

There’s a horrible entitled section to our fanbase that’s been cultivated somehow. Maybe it’s just another effect of 2020.

I recall NSC being fraught and angry in those awful final 4 months of turd under CH. Anecdotally, a couple of mods admitted to not attending home games for no reason other than being disillusioned. Anyone saying that was attacked as being a bad fan.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can’t bear it. Each time the ball was pinged out wide it lands at the feet of Veltman or Burn or Gross, with the best will in the world how are they going to burn past anyone and do something surprising? Best chance we’ve got is a Cruyff turn from Gross and the ball ending up in the keeper’s gloves.

Indeed.

I actually believe we have the ingredients within the squad to put a decent XI out on the pitch that can see us climbing away from danger. Unfortunately, Potter appears to be one of those clever sous chefs who believes he can create an award-winning soufflé by mixing egg whites and goats cheese in with cabbage and mince. It'll all be beautifully presented of course, but take one spoonful and you'll be retching into the nearest wine cooler, then end up going home disappointed, pissed off, and hungry.

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
Not sure I agree.

He attracted the likes of Welbeck and Lallana, I would suspect he was also aware of Lamptey.

That said, the recruitment seriously needs to be looked at. If we are trying the money all approach, we appear to be looking at the wrong region for it... I’d be looking at Mid table Bundesliga teams...

Due to the work permit changes, there will also be a lot more South American players avaialble. Obviously that's a lot more risky than getting a player from a top European league, but at least it means there are more players available. So there's no excuses for not getting anyone in!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Not sure I agree.

So is it recruitment or the manager? Genuine question.

Are you capable of having a discussion without being abusive.

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
I think the club needs to recognise that the Potter gamble has failed, and I would expect Bloom above all to recognise this. We are better than 2 years ago in one aspect of the game - we play more passes. However we are only comfortable passing the ball like this under minimal pressure.

Our defending is worse. We lack the same desperation to avoid conceding. We are not hard to break down. We are not unpleasant to play against physically. We do not counter attack well. We do not know how to unlock opponents who sit back.

In every aspect of the game which can win you matches, we are severely lacking. We do not have any personality or style. We turn up, go through the motions, and lose or draw.

I accept that the playing squad is thin on ability but it is capable of surviving in the PL. The blame has to lie with the coach. His aim was supposedly to move us away from a defence-first, counter-attacking style, into a possession team. We do have higher possession - this is actually quite a simple thing to achieve as an end in itself. If you want to have higher possession and score goals, win games, the players have to be coached to move and pass effectively, often using preset patterns. Potter has not done this. We pass well from the edge of our box until just over the halfway line. Then, under pressure, we revert to hoofing it in the channels or down the line. We run out of ideas under pressure. Some of this is down to lacking players who can eliminate opponents with skill. However it is more down to poor coaching. In achieving this, we have sacrificed defensive solidity.

Unfortunately, Potter is becoming our Brexit for some supporters. Having said they would be happy to be relegated playing better football, we are now in the process of getting relegated with a higher percentage of possession. Some Potter fans will dig their heels in and say they miss the Championship and this is what they wanted. Some are already up in arms that we are so bad, and haven't realised that the fantasy of playing like Brazil 70 with mediocre players in the PL is just that.

We need to change as soon as possible. Those who are peddling the line thay we can go and dominate the Championship need to realise that our better players will leave and we will be in a dogfight from day one. Potter is not an inspiring manager. He is a thoroughly decent man but has achieved nothing in the game and is not a figure players are giving their best for. He is not a coach that aspiring players are going to be queuing up to play for.

We need a new manager and a couple of new players and January is the time to do it. The 'long term plan' is a myth and there's is no evidence that we are moving forward.

Very well put. Totally agree

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Should we be beating Arsenal at home ? Maybe not, occasionally maybe. Should we beat teams like Sheffield Utd, Burnley, WBA, Fulham yes we should maybe not all of them but some of them. It is not the players it is the Manager, time to go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here