Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ‘Brighton have been under considerable pressure from Leeds.’

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I agrew with you pressure wise but I've got to ask what xG is ?

xG means expected goals.

You will get a more accurate response as i'm not an expert on it, but it is statistic or measure of the likely hood of you scoring a goal based on where yo are having possession on the pitch, number of shots, and threats on goal etc. I think [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] is quite up on this.
There is something on it here.
https://theathletic.co.uk/2333963/2021/01/21/leeds-xg-brighton-bielsa-midfield-control/

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Most teams outside the Top 7 or 8 are eminently beatable if you take out their best couple of players, as were Leeds yesterday without Phillips and Raphinha.

I agree that we were largely comfortable for the whole match.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I usually listen to the bbc sussex while watching our games on the tv, but actually had the prime commentary on instead yesterday. I caught a "Ben White is running at his friends" when White pushed forward on one attack.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think there was some considerable pressure for about 25 minutes after the first goal. In the second half Maupay was pretty much pulled to midfield to prevent their man advantage there and it felt a lot safer again and as the game went on, Leeds looked more and more tired while it felt Brighton could have kept playing for another 30 minutes.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I usually listen to the bbc sussex while watching our games on the tv, but actually had the prime commentary on instead yesterday. I caught a "Ben White is running at his friends" when White pushed forward on one attack.

Run of the year that one btw. Perhaps not the most difficult one, but definitely the longest.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
xG means expected goals.

You will get a more accurate response as i'm not an expert on it, but it is statistic or measure of the likely hood of you scoring a goal based on where yo are having possession on the pitch, number of shots, and threats on goal etc. I think [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] is quite up on this.
There is something on it here.
https://theathletic.co.uk/2333963/2021/01/21/leeds-xg-brighton-bielsa-midfield-control/

Expected goals is such an useless addition to the game. File under VAR ;)

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Most teams outside the Top 7 or 8 are eminently beatable if you take out their best couple of players, as were Leeds yesterday without Phillips and Raphinha.

I agree that we were largely comfortable for the whole match.

True, although Leeds are just beatable anywhere, all the time as we proved yet again yesterday.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I know this will incur a plague of locust on my house for questioning the Messiah but I thought Leeds were pants. Yes they had possession but they did nothing with it and it was one of the few games this season where I remained calm with no wee leakage.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I know this will incur a plague of locust on my house for questioning the Messiah but I thought Leeds were pants. Yes they had possession but they did nothing with it and it was one of the few games this season where I remained calm with no wee leakage.

Sounds like you should be the expert on pants.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
whilst we looked comfortable most of the game in defence,We were under some pressure from Leeds before the welbeck goal.
Biss had also just had a shot that was well wide of the post and I remember saying FFS this is going to be 1-1 isn't it.
Welbecks goal came at a crucial point in the game and Leeds had no way back after that.
We really controlled the game well from that point but the commentator was correct in what he said.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway

I read a few comments from Leeds fans under match reports yesterday and a few of the more balanced comments were wondering why they had their two worst performances of the season against us.

Personally, I think Potter played them perfectly in both games, knew where to press them and how to pacify their intensity. I’m not sure it was a coincidence they looked inept and frustrated over 180 minutes against us.

Potter doesn’t quite know yet how to play against a low block but this season we’ve learnt how to play against high pressing teams. Leeds being one of them.

Harmyar

Mar 24, 2021

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I’m sure this has been mentioned elsewhere, but Amazon continually saying that Gross had “two from two” and then “three from three” penalties, just shows these people don’t do any research. The miss was from one of the most memorable games in the Premier League this season!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Standard of TV commentary and punditry has plummeted since the days of Davies, Moore and Motson

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The only moment of concern was when BDB's header ricocheted againt Veltman and was heading goalwards..
FFS! not again! left my mouth, before BDB blocked it off.

That was the only moment in the entire game, when I was worried.

We were comfortably better all ****ing game.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Its interesting that looking at the Leeds fans board they don't seem to rate Povenda but I thought he did cause a bit of concern when he first came on but BDB then readjusted and sorted him.

To me he flattered to deceive, lots of attempts to beat the defender with quick feet and little pokes through but they all came to nothing.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Personally, I think Potter played them perfectly in both games, knew where to press them and how to pacify their intensity. I’m not sure it was a coincidence they looked inept and frustrated over 180 minutes against us.

His tactics are really really interesting.

Plenty of times, we had in effect, two centre backs on the flank (Burn & Webster or Veltman & White) blocking and breaking up everything Leeds were trying to do. Biesla just couldn’t cope with that tactic, the alternative of going central was so often stopped by either the Bissouma 1-man-midfield or an impenetrable wall made up of Lewis Dunk.

We consistently wipe the floor with these mid-table sides and face them in 3 of our last 4 matches. Thank goodness Potter has 3 months+ to work out some new tactics for the low block.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here