Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

brighton have an external debt of 6mill!!!????

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Dear oh dear oh dear. Remember when Leeds were third in the Premiership and all their fans did was whinge. Here we are, on the verge of a season in THE CHAMPIONSHIP :) , potentially about to get the thumbs up on Falmer, rescued from oblivion by ONE PERSON - DK, who took charge just days before the final game at The Goldstone, with the club about to be relegated to the Conference. We have had 5 magic years since Micky Adams was brought in (er, by DK) and some idiots are "blaming" DK and MP. If we really want to be in the shit, why don't we do what those Leeds fans thought was sensible - get rid of the manager, spend even more money you don't have, etc, and see what happens. If DK's doing such a bad job, let's get someone like Ridsdale in.

What a joke!

Albionite83

Aug 27, 2003
I believe the club is around £2 million in debt - and even that figure includes directors' loans beyond their shareholdings. The other figures quoted wildly all over here include directors' loans that have been translated into shares and are as such no longer debts.

In other words, we are not massively in debt to banks etc.

Answering the original post by Brighton Rock, the club lost just under £900,000 in the year to June 2003 - ie, basically the year we were last in what was then called Division 1.

Last edited:

BensGrandad said:
I have conceded that DK has surpassed my expectations and survived longer than I thought he would

Jolly good. Now, having had that experience, are you prepared to concede the possibility that he may surpass your expectations in the future too?

BensGrandad said:
he has been 'bailed out ' many times when the financial state has become dire

The main thrust of your criticism appears to be that Knight is rebuffing investment in the club. So why do you use pejorative language like "bailed out" when Knight does accept investment into the club? Why not say, well done, Dick, for organising this investment, can you organise some more? It is this perverse and begrudging attitude to Knight's acheivements that, I think, leads people to doubt your motives. If you were more balanced in your assessments, I think you would get a better hearing on NSC for your most important argument, that more funding is available for the Albion.

BensGrandad said:
It is common knowledge that there are two prominent wealthy people in Brighton who have expressed a wish to invest in the club but for reasons not known to us they have not been approached.

No, it isn't common knowledge. The next time you hear the names of these individuals, on the radio or wherever, come back to NSC and put some flesh on the bones of your argument. I want to give you the courtesy of taking your argument seriously, but at the moment you are not providing enough information for anyone to do so.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
brighton rock said:
who's paying for falmer?

The names are being kept under wraps, although the club has said that a certain amount of the total figure will be in the form of a long term, flexible mortgage. As for individuals, all will be become clear in time. Provided Two Jags says YES of course.

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
The Large One said:
The names are being kept under wraps, although the club has said that a certain amount of the total figure will be in the form of a long term, flexible mortgage. As for individuals, all will be become clear in time. Provided Two Jags says YES of course.

he will

the cost of building is going up day by day millions of pounds must have been added to the cost of building since the first plan went in?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
brighton rock said:

It comes to something when a Palace fan has more faith than some of us

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
London Irish I applaud your post it is one of the most constructive that I have read on this subject. In the post you grant me the courtesy of accepting that I am entitled to an opinion for which Iam grateful. I would conceed that perhaps my abrasive attitude has caused people to question my views.

My wish is for The Albion to progress and nothing would give me greater pleasure than for DK to build Falmer and get us into the premier league. I would openly say I was wrong if either of these aims are achieved.

As regards the names of the two people I am only a supporter and I know their names so I am sure that there are people in much higher places than me who know their names. It is not for me to name them on NSC as this must be a decision made either by them or persons acting on their behalf.

Both of their names were mentioned a number of times last season on Ian Harte's phone in by various callers so their names are well known. Neither of them is Stephen Perdew or associated with him. He apparently wanted total control and offered very little in exchange and I think that DK was right to rebuke him.

I think that we must all wait to see what happens if and when JP says Yes. It is then that 'the proof of the pudding will be in the eating' and we shall all know exactly where we stand.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
BensGrandad said:
Both of their names were mentioned a number of times last season on Ian Harte's phone in by various callers so their names are well known.

It is not for me to name them on NSC as this must be a decision made either by them or persons acting on their behalf.
I've not heard every one of Hartys phone-ins, but I've listened to it more often than not and have never heard any specific names mentioned.

If they've been mentioned "a number of times" on Hartys phone-in though, and their names are already well known, then whats the difference in posting the names on here ? Why is it supposedly still a big secret if this information is so widely known already ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
DK has publicly stated he is interested in cash injections in the club but as yet, apart from FBS, I have yet to see one bar the 40 note fund.

BensGrandad said:
It is not for me to name them on NSC as this must be a decision made either by them or persons acting on their behalf.

But what is the harm of you naming them if their identities are already in the public domain on Ian Harte's phone-in - "common knowledge" as you earlier stated? Just simply repeat what you thought was said on the BBC, what is wrong with doing that?

It is this mysterious coyness of yours that is damaging the credibility of your case. Until you put some hard details down, we will continue to have a fairly useless circular argument of which I'm sure even you must be tired of by now.

brighton rock said:
who's paying for falmer?

Grant and his even bigger mate Debt.

Sergi Gotsmanov

Feb 23, 2004
West of Palookaville
Bloody hell.

Roll on the start of the season then all this bollocks can stop.

Don't get greedy people. Chairmen come and go. All you can hope is that you have someone who loves the club and does the best they can.

Dk has done both of these and we are having the most successful time in our history.

Read the history books guys. Pick any season. We have always struggled to balance the books.
Some supporters have always slagged of the board and always will.

And above all remember, we could have been playing Torquay on a Tuesday night but we're not.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I would have thought that the moment there is an OK to the Falmer development, investors will be prepared to put money into the club.

If I had money, I would not put it in now as we do not have anything of value to act as secutity!

It is obvious the club will never be allowed to fall into the hands of a Bill Archer again, therefore I think the idea that a 'Roman Abramovitch' type character stepping in is very remote.

I think it is to DK's credit that he has managed to get the likes of Norman Cooke to continue to invest in the club when it must be obvious that he will not get the return on his investment.

Is the bloke who runs the car cleaning franchise at Hove Station and lives in Woodland Drive one of teh "hidden investors"?

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
the so called investers should be showing the colour of their money now, one of the things needed to make falmer a good investment is a team in the top two leagues of football its much use having a 23,000 seater stadium in division 2
to make falmer pay good away surport will be needed from the likes of leeds and west ham,
new players now are a must to keep the club stable in the future

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
But Rocky this is the arguement in a nutshell at the moment.

Falmer is the be and end all now...nothing else matters...therefore it doesn't matter what division we are in. Until Falmer is built we are treading water. It doesn't matter if we can only get 7000 at home, we are not spending anymore money on Withdean, because we do not need to...it doesn't matter.

This is what makes it so frustrating being an Albion fan at the moment. We have these great seasons with promotions/championships etc etc, but it doesn't matter what we do, we are still in the same lifeboat bobbing along waiting for an aircraft carrier to come along and pick us up ( ie Falmer decision)

Bottom line is if Falmer is Yes today, we wont be in it for the next 3 years anyway...DK is trying his best not to spend any money at all, hence the playing budget is shite and has been for the last few years. But again...it doesn't matter

Harsh but reality I am afraid

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Can't understand why people keep blabbing on about where are these investors etc,so give it a rest as you all no that there is loads of investers out there its a fact.

Look at other clubs investors neverend full stop and i would be shocked if the albion never had any investors interested:nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here