Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton has an ugly seafront, tacky pier and is packed full of wealthy Londoners...

Is Brighton ugly?

• Yes, yes it is.

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • No. Blasphemer!

Votes: 42 60.9%
  • I shall sit on the rusty seafront railing.

Votes: 6 8.7%

• Total voters

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
after reading the book 'Brighton in the 60's' you realise what a complete mess the council and the gullible locals made of Brighton 40+ years ago.

It's a disgrace what they tore down and 'regenerated' in that decade. the people at the council then should be charged with the attempted murder of regency Brighton.

they approved the kingswest, the top of the metropole, sussex heights, the old churchill square and the albion hill flats

they condemned the old beford hotel, many many beautiful theatres and a large section of land between canon street/west street/western road. they tried to knock down the grand too.

i agree, brighton does have an ugly seafront - take your blinkers off and walk from the steine to the grand. i suppose brighton is a scruffy city, always has been 'the town helping police with their enquiries'.

read the book, it's quite depressing really.

Dandyman

In London village.
after reading the book 'Brighton in the 60's' you realise what a complete mess the council and the gullible locals made of Brighton 40+ years ago.

It's a disgrace what they tore down and 'regenerated' in that decade. the people at the council then should be charged with the attempted murder of regency Brighton.

they approved the kingswest, the top of the metropole, sussex heights, the old churchill square and the albion hill flats

they condemned the old beford hotel, many many beautiful theatres and a large section of land between canon street/west street/western road. they tried to knock down the grand too.

i agree, brighton does have an ugly seafront - take your blinkers off and walk from the steine to the grand. i suppose brighton is a scruffy city, always has been 'the town helping police with their enquiries'.

Top post. I can also remember as a kid the numerous rumours of corruption and backhanders that accompanied the building and planning of that era.

Thank f*ck Lewes was mainly spared.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
I have often found that there are very few people (over 25) that were born in Brighton and stayed in Brighton.

Most people are not from here, but moved in, and love it.

Not sure why this is though, just something Ive noticed in my time here

I'm a 'native' Brightonian!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ugly? what they mean is, it hasnt been designed. apart from some typically modernist concreat blocks (ie Odean) i think thats what is normally called character and is one of the attractions. scruffy and proud of it. frankly, if the same book describes Hastings as "pretty" beyond the old town/fishing sheds, then its value is only as toilet paper.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905

Precisely, and if they had had their way in the 1970s the A23 would have been diverted through the North Laines to large numbers of gleaming multi-story car parks near North Street.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The council are still guilty of the most wilful of neglect. Just look at the old bandstand. How long's it been rotting away now? Nothing a couple of days of concerted graft wouldn't put right, but they'll continue to let it rot until some wise guy pikey rolls up in the middle of the night and makes off with it. And they're pricing the GENUINE independent shops out of the North Laine. And London Road should have been fully pedestrianised twenty years ago. And the old buildings are gently rotting away like in any seaside resort anywhere. Unless they're being gentrified by ugly quick-buck Londoners who moved down here 'for the lifestyle' which seems to involve sitting in Starbucks reading The Independent and gleefully counting the returns on their property portfolio and generally having as little to do with the town around them as possible.

Still wouldn't live anywhere else in the UK mind. Still feel like I'm on me holidays when I'm down the seafront and the sun is shining. And the Albion IS the community :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here