Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton has an ugly seafront, tacky pier and is packed full of wealthy Londoners...

Is Brighton ugly?

• Yes, yes it is.

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • No. Blasphemer!

Votes: 42 60.9%
  • I shall sit on the rusty seafront railing.

Votes: 6 8.7%

• Total voters

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
...according to one of the world's most renowned travel guides.

Do you agree?

Top travel guide criticises Brighton and Hove

Brighton has an ugly seafront, tacky pier and is packed full of wealthy Londoners, according to one of the world's most renowned travel guides. The "dirty weekend" city is also noted for its large homeless population and monstrous-looking hotels, says the newly published Rough Guide to England. But while the respected travel book lists the negative aspects of the city, it also remarks on Brighton's fabulous shopping, nightlife and Georgian charm.

The guide says: "Much of Brighton's seafront is an ugly mix of shops, entertainment complexes and hotels, ranging from the impressively pompous plasterwork of the Grand Hotel...to the green-glass monstrosity of the Brighton Thistle Hotel."

But Brighton and Hove city councillor David Smith, chairman of culture, recreation and tourism, disagreed with the travel book.

He said: "I can't see how the writers of the guide have come to that opinion. Brighton is a brilliant city. Although Barcelona is a lot bigger than our city in terms of size and population, I am of the opinion we are equal culturally. We have got seven-miles of flat seafront, which very few seaside resorts in the world can boast, and wonderful shops, restaurants and nightlife. I have spoken to business leaders who say, when conferences are organised to be held in Brighton, twice as many people want to attend."

Mark Jones, chairman of Brighton and Hove Hotels Association and manager of Colson House in Upper Rock Gardens, Brighton, defended the city's accommodation.

He said: "We have a great city with a huge selection of top-class hotels. To call any one of them monstrous seems an odd choice of word. We have probably got the highest proportion of four-star hotels in the country."

However, the guidebook does lavish praise on Brighton's bohemian atmosphere, created by the city's gay community, students and holiday-makers. It says: "Brighton now highlights its Georgian charm, its upmarket shops and classy restaurants, and a thriving conference industry."

The guide also lists the "exuberant Royal Pavilion", which it describes as one of Britain's best-loved building, and the city's numerous excellent cafes, restaurants and bars.

Praise is also heaped on the "remarkably good-lucking" Lewes, which boasts "some of Englandís most appealing chalkland" and "numerous traces of a history". But other areas of Sussex are given mixed reviews.
Chichester is described as "attractive, if scruffy" and Hastings is a "part tacky, part pretty seaside resort" with "oddly neglected Regency architecture".

Top Travel Guide Criticises Brighton And Hove (from The Argus)</title>

Last edited:

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
Love Brighton but it is ugly mostly due to the Kings West thing and the centre.
East of the pier is better but still boring.
Marina is horrid to look at.
Hove between peace statue and end of lawns going west looks lovely on a sunny day.

The town looks lovely at night from the pier. never get tired of that.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Pretentious bollocks.

There are problems with Brighton but the sea front aint one of them - there is something for everyone there. I'd also say it is NOT packed with wealthy Londoners. It's true to say that London does descend on Brighton, but not just the wealthy.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
If you dont like Brighton, you should sit on Brighton beach with a few mates, a few cans and a BBQ, watch the sun set with the starlings playing in the sky, as the vibrancy in the background of other people doing the same, and the live music of Geminis keeps you company.

There is nowt better

and as for the "London by the Sea" tag, that can fcuk right off

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The best description I ever heard of Brighton was to liken it to a tired old tart living by the sea, not that complimentary but pretty much describes it to a tee, who would have it any other way?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I live in Saafend and when locals find out that I have moved there from Brighton every one of them asks incredulously "Why?" outside Brighton people love the place (as do I) its usually only those who are lucky enough to still live in GOC that slag it off.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I must admit...I left brighton a few years ago and have never properly returned. But when I do I really miss it....the glistening sea and the fact you take a drive uyp towards the racehill and the sight of green fields on one side and the ocean on the other makes it one in a million. I wil one day return, but theres no rush, plenty to see and do first.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I live in Saafend and when locals find out that I have moved there from Brighton every one of them asks incredulously "Why?" outside Brighton people love the place (as do I) its usually only those who are lucky enough to still live in GOC that slag it off.

I have often found that there are very few people (over 25) that were born in Brighton and stayed in Brighton.

Most people are not from here, but moved in, and love it.

Not sure why this is though, just something Ive noticed in my time here

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Compared to most seaside resorts in this country you certainly can't call it tacky. Go to places like Scarborough and Blackpool then you see true tacky.

It's not full of Londoners because most of them are still stuck in a queue on the A23

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I have often found that there are very few people (over 25) that were born in Brighton and stayed in Brighton.

Most people are not from here, but moved in, and love it.

Not sure why this is though, just something Ive noticed in my time here

Too true. Since my relocation to Essex I have met quite a few Brightonians who have left (none of whom support the Albion incidentally) and the majority regret it.

I too want to return was soon as I can, but I have good reasons for being away at the moment ( I am not in jail btw)

For many Brighton is an aspiration and natives should remember that for all it's faults GOC is the best town in the UK.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Love Brighton but it is ugly mostly due to the Kings West thing and the centre.
East of the pier is better but still boring.
Marina is horrid to look at.
Hove between peace statue and end of lawns going west looks lovely on a sunny day.

The town looks lovely at night from the pier. never get tired of that.

You call that ugly? Surely Madiera Drive and Kings Road are the most beautiful stretches of seafront in the country, architecturally (not including the four lanes of traffic!)

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
If you dont like Brighton, you should sit on Brighton beach with a few mates, a few cans and a BBQ, watch the sun set with the starlings playing in the sky, as the vibrancy in the background of other people doing the same, and the live music of Geminis keeps you company.

There is nowt better

and as for the "London by the Sea" tag, that can fcuk right off

Correct. Sat night was perfect. Few beers, watch the sun go down, seafront all lit up, lots of lasses to look at and you get to PISS in the sea. Brillio.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Ugly is Stoke, Luton, Oldham or Croydon, Brighton could be better but it could be a hell of a lot worse. Anybody who thinks it's ugly clearly doesn't get out much. You want an ugly seaside resort (as some people think of Brighton) well try Great Yarmouth or Morecombe for a start, let's also not not forget the 'Golden Mile' surely the tackiest stretch of beach anywhere in the world.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Brighton is a city with character, more so than most other cities. It's a lovely place to live, steeped in history with a unique vibrant atmosphere.
Trouble is, these travel writers find it far to easy to slag off seaside resorts and pass them off as tacky!

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
You call that ugly? Surely Madiera Drive and Kings Road are the most beautiful stretches of seafront in the country, architecturally (not including the four lanes of traffic!)

What about what's behind the four lanes of traffic?
Odeon1.gif

I was not talking about The Pavillion (if you put it as your avatar to make a point. I was merely saying that the Kings West and The Brighton Centre imo are ugly and spoil the seafront.

I also don't find the vast expanses of rendered embankment particularly pretty

BUT I have spent many a happy afternoon stretching into the evening dawdling between the piers (level with the beach so that I don't see the bits I find ugly), drinking, chatting and people watching and I'm always impressed when I get a glimpse of the peregrine...used to think it was made up.

I have spent more than half my life here and I love it. I can't forsee me ever wanting to leave here.
Brighton is a great place to live, the best I know about.

the reviewers have been slated for their portrayal of all the british resorts, obviously .

they are :

twats
ignorant
sun shines outside of their arses,

love Chic Spanish culture
and

looking for headlines to sell their book

LC

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
I'm at work and in a hurry and subject deserves more time but I don't want to get the boss upset again.
I piss about too much on this as it is.

Please be assured I truly would not want to live anywhere else and mean no offence.

eg I quite like Mondrian but think Cy Twombly needs a slap...different opinions and tastes that's all. Go to http://www.artchive.com and have a look.

Or just put artchive into a search thingy

Last edited:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
What about what's behind the four lanes of traffic?
Odeon1.gif

That has now been changed to the new look club oceana, and I think its a beach themed bar on that corner now. Looks so much better in that picture.

Agreed about the Brighton centre though.

The only area I really dislike of central Brighton is London Road from St Peters Church to Preston Circus - its a shambles and needs changing.

Luckily the one way system means its not the 1st thing you see as you drive into Brighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here