Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton football violence trial.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Fans' rampage wrecked pub, court told
by Nigel Freedman

Tables and chairs were hurled through a pub window as rival fans clashed in a huge resurgence of football violence, a court heard.

The trouble erupted in The Lanes, Brighton, hours after Brighton and Hove Albion played Leeds United at Withdean stadium last season.

Christina Laing, prosecuting, described the incident - a throwback to the dark days of violence at grounds across England in the Seventies - as football hooliganism at its worst.

She said people were shocked and terrified as Brighton fans hurled missiles at Leeds supporters at The Pump House pub in Market Street.

Staff and customers cowered in a back room as advertising signs and chairs and tables from nearby restaurants were thrown through the windows.

Miss Laing told Hove Crown Court the Brighton fans even had their own photographer taking pictures of the incident.

The pictures were seized days later after they were taken into a shop in Brighton to be developed.

The court was told that they were later used along with footage from CCTV cameras to identify and arrest a large number of men.

Sami Abulbashar, 20, of Stonery Road, Portslade, and John Mack, 49, of Walmer Crescent, Brighton, deny violent disorder on October 23.

Miss Laing said: "A huge amount of damage was caused.

"Everyone who witnessed what happened was shocked and terrified at the level of violence."

Miss Lang said there was evidence the clash had been planned.

She said Brighton fans had been at The Sussex pub in nearby East Street and had left moments before the violence erupted.

Miss Laing said: "A group of 25 men faced the Pump House chanting: ëSeagulls, Seagulls and come on out if you want it.'

"Staff heard one of the Leeds fans say, ëthey are here' and they got up and pushed towards the door.

"Fighting began and stools were used to smash windows and other missiles were thrown at the pub."

Paul Sewell, the pub manager, said tables and chairs were raining through the broken window.

Barmaid Katrina Drake phoned the police but was so terrified she had an asthma attack and could not complete the call.

Her colleague Darren Nolan said in his statement: "I could hear screaming and windows being smashed.

"I went to the front of the pub and watched in disbelief."

Miss Laing alleged that both Mack and Abulbashar were in the thick of the violence.

A number of Leeds fans were injured but left the scene as police arrived.

Mack was arrested at a nearby taxi rank after a short chase but told police he had gone to see who had thrown a missile at him after he left The Sussex to investigate what was causing the commotion outside.

Abulbashar was arrested at his home on November 4.

He claimed he was a passer-by and had not hit anyone.

The trial continues.

What is a 49 year old man doing in all of this? A hooligan from the first time round? Pathetic.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Trouble involving Leeds fans-surely not?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
BarrelofFun said:
They were burberry wearers and dont think they had actually been to the football that day

That was my understanding also. "Brighton fans" in the least possible way.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
maffew said:
f***ing lousy timing to be on the front page of the argus with the party conference (even though the decision is prob already made)

I thought exactly the same...

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
BarrelofFun said:
If I remember rightly when the argus first published the case, I think they had been in the pub all day.

The original article

The trouble is NSC always has this view that these people are not Albion fans and yet a number of them having been going for donkey's years. Just worryingly they show their support at times in a way that most do not view as acceptable.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
yes true,think most know of some of the loons and you cant slag them off for them being loyal,ive seen certain lads at carlisle,and other long distance trips.that day seemed more mental in town than normal,the atmosphere etc,that only leeds seemed to generate

Richard Whiteley

Sep 24, 2003
Christ, it's the usual defend the thugs on NSC.

Have a story about immigrants overstaying visas and everything is their fault, but good old fashioned Football hooligans dishing out salt of the earth violence to other good lad wankers whilst traditionaly hurling chairs through Pub windows and terrifying passerbys in a man's game kind of way and we've all got the wrong end of the stick.

f*** their loyalty and f*** them and all like them.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Richard Whiteley said:

Have a story about immigrants overstaying visas and everything is their fault, but good old fashioned Football hooligans dishing out salt of the earth violence to other good lad wankers whilst traditionaly hurling chairs through Pub windows and terrifying passerbys in a man's game kind of way and we've all got the wrong end of the stick.

You're not wrong-it's the moron element that helps the NIMBYs form (and express) their opinions of ALL Albion fans.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Richard Whiteley said:

But then there is also an element of the NSC hang them out to dry as well, just as bad.

They are on trial at present and so have not been found guilty, yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here