Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton fans views needed

Prentice

Jan 24, 2011
Hi guys, I write a pre-game article before all our games and part of that involves an interview with opposition supporters. If you could fill out the following and return it in a reply, then I'll pick the better ones if there's quite a few and post a link to the article here.

Code:
[b]1] What were your pre-season expectations and how are you faring compared to those?[/b]

[b]2] Poyet is quite highly rated as a manager by most, where do you think his career will take him?[/b]

[b]3] It seemingly looks like you're going to be promoted, are you gutted that Palace are going in the other direction?[/b]

[b]4] What are your squad's strengths?[/b]

[b]5] And your squad's weaknesses?[/b]

[b]6] Tell us something new, something old, something blue and something borrowed about Brighton & Hove Albion FC[/b]

[b]7] If you could have one Watford player for your starting XI, who would it be?[/b]

[b]8] What is your opinion on Watford FC, as a club, team and set of supporters?[/b]

[b]9] What do you think of Vicarage Road?[/b]

[b]10] Were you there at your place for Chris Eagles super half way liner?[/b]

[b]11] Which is more important to you guys this season, a good cup run or concentrating on pushing for promotion?[/b]

[b]12] Last but not least, what are your match predictions?[/b]

Cheers for that guys. Enjoy the trip down if you're coming, click here for a visitors guide on Vicarage Road and best of luck with the rest of your season, hopefully see you next year!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Any news on what team you might put out? I see you rested a couple of key players in the last round. No doubt Gus will make changes as well.

Prentice

Jan 24, 2011
I imagine we won't field our strongest XI but there'll be a decent team out, we don't have enough players to do otherwise!

Gilmartin will play instead of Loach I'd have thought, and probably a few youngsters out of Bryan, Bennett, Hodson, Mingoia, Massey etc will start.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
] What were your pre-season expectations and how are you faring compared to those? Top 10 maybe flirting with play offs. Anyone who says they expected us to be where we are at the moment is LYING.
2] Poyet is quite highly rated as a manager by most, where do you think his career will take him? As far as he wants to go. Im sure he isnt doing it for the money so he has the luxury of picking which job he wants. Thus he will probably avoid basket case clubs like Palace and Charlton. My money is on the Chelsea job at some point in the future. But he wants to/needs to prove himself.
3] It seemingly looks like you're going to be promoted, are you gutted that Palace are going in the other direction? Yes it woud have been great to play them in the Championship. If for whatever reason we dont go up then PLEASE let them be relegated so we can play them at our new stadium.
4] What are your squad's strengths? 19 league goals conceded this season says it all.
5] And your squad's weaknesses? If Murray isnt playing we tend not to score too many goals. He brings something out of the other players.
6] Tell us something new, something old, something blue and something borrowed about Brighton & Hove Albion FC
The Amex, The Goldstone, Our kit, Gillingham FC
7] If you could have one Watford player for your starting XI, who would it be? John Barnes.
8] What is your opinion on Watford FC, as a club, team and set of supporters? Family friendly club, inoffensive and has Elton John as its celebrity fan. Would say well run now but became a bit of a basket case club when Vialli was about.
9] What do you think of Vicarage Road? Never been so looking forward to it.
10] Were you there at your place for Chris Eagles super half way liner? Not personally but I believe its up there with the best goal scored by an opposition player.
11] Which is more important to you guys this season, a good cup run or concentrating on pushing for promotion? PROMOTION
12] Last but not least, what are your match predictions? Narrow defeat. I reckon 2-1 to Watford.

Last edited:

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
1] What were your pre-season expectations and how are you faring compared to those?

Play offs. Looking good...

2] Poyet is quite highly rated as a manager by most, where do you think his career will take him?

Will undoubtedly end up managing a top Premiership team, possibly a top Spanish team as well.

3] It seemingly looks like you're going to be promoted, are you gutted that Palace are going in the other direction?

Nope. For too long they have had the league position bragging rights.

4] What are your squad's strengths?

Three or four players that are too good for L1, and an incredibly bright new manager.

5] And your squad's weaknesses?

Lack of depth in key positions.

6] Tell us something new, something old, something blue and something borrowed about Brighton & Hove Albion FC

New; Falmer
Old; Goldstone
Blue; The struggle of the past years
Borrowed; Withdean

7] If you could have one Watford player for your starting XI, who would it be?

Scott Loach. Ankergren won't be around forever, I'm not that hopeful of our backups, and Scott Loach is a very good, young, English keeper.

8] What is your opinion on Watford FC, as a club, team and set of supporters?

Anyone that beats Leeds in a play off final gets my backing.
Should probably be doing slightly better than they are.

9] What do you think of Vicarage Road?

Good, old, traditional ground.

10] Were you there at your place for Chris Eagles super half way liner?

Nope. But I've watched it many times on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flsLHcBRPgQ)

11] Which is more important to you guys this season, a good cup run or concentrating on pushing for promotion?

Promotion, without a doubt.

12] Last but not least, what are your match predictions?

I think we'll give it a good go, but come away with a loss. But, I don't think many will be too disappointed, as we can then concentrate on the league.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
1] What were your pre-season expectations and how are you faring compared to those? TOP HALF MAYBE PLAY-OFFS

2] Poyet is quite highly rated as a manager by most, where do you think his career will take him? YOU CAN NEVER TELL. HES CERTAINLY GOT THE POTENTIAL

3] It seemingly looks like you're going to be promoted, are you gutted that Palace are going in the other direction? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA - NO

4] What are your squad's strengths? STYLE OF PLAY .WE SEEM TO AHVE GOT REALLY GOOD PLAYING THE WAY GUS WANTS US TO. DEFINITELY NOT BENNETT OR MURRAY... LOOKING TO SEE THEM BOTH FREE TRANSFERRED IF THEY DONT BUCK THEIR IDEAS UP

5] And your squad's weaknesses? BENNETT... NOT WORTH MARKING. CANT RUN, CANT PASS OR CROSS AND HIS FREE KICKS ARE ABYSMAL

6] Tell us something new, something old, something blue and something borrowed about Brighton & Hove Albion FC - JAKE CASKEY, ENGLAND CAPTAIN OF THE FUTURE, WE WERE HAMPIONS OF BRITAIN IN 1910, .... AND WHITE STRIPES AND NOT BORROWED BUT NABBED... ERIC STEELS AND THE POSK THE FOUNDATIONS OF YOUR GREAT TEAM OF THE EIGHTIES... FROM US TO YOU

7] If you could have one Watford player for your starting XI, who would it be? - WILL BUCKLEY

8] What is your opinion on Watford FC, as a club, team and set of supporters? - ALWAYS BEEN A FAMILY CLUB, LIKE US

9] What do you think of Vicarage Road? NEED DEVELOPMENT

10] Were you there at your place for Chris Eagles super half way liner? NO BUT SEEN IT

11] Which is more important to you guys this season, a good cup run or concentrating on pushing for promotion? PROMOTION IS THE BE ALL AND END ALL. IF WE FIELD RESERVES AGAINST YOU I WONT MIND, UNLESS IT UPSETS THE TEAM BLEND

12] Last but not least, what are your match predictions? - HEART DRAW AT YOURS AND WIN AT OURS, HEAD SAYS 1-0 MOST LIKELY TO YOU BT EVEYRTHIGN DEPENDS ON THE TEAM WE PLAY

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
1) After three years of struggle, I would have been genuinely happy with a challenge for the play off places, as long as we came in the top ten. I didn't think we would win the league with the likes of Southampton, Sheffield Wednesday, Peterborough, Huddersfield and Charlton to compete against.

2) Gus has been a revelation, doing things no other Brighton manager has done. Hopefully his career will last a few more years with us, but I think it depends on Harry Redknapp leaving Spurs. When he does, I think it would be hard for Poyet to turn down Spurs if it was offered to him.

3) Derby games are always great, there haven't been many in recent years, but to lose to them in the first season at The AMEX, or maybe first ever game there, doesn’t bare thinking about.

4) Keeping the ball, not many teams can do it, but we seem to have the knack. The opposition can't score if we have the ball. There are no real superstars in our team, just lots of very good footballers performing very well.

5) We waste a lot of great chances at goal.

6)
New - A third division football team, that can string 10 passes together. has that ever been done before?
Old - We won the charity shield once. About the same time as the Titanic was sailing to New York
Borrowed - We once borrowed Phil Neale's son as the great prospect to hold our useless defence together. He made it it worse, we came 23rd in Division 4.
Blue - we once had to have a kit for 2 seasons in the wrong shade of because of an error on the order

7) It would have to be Danny Graham, he scores for fun, that’s what we are missing from our team. If we could take our chances, we would be half dangerous!

8) Watford aren't really a team we have encountered much in my Brighton supporting life, they always seem to produce legendary players such as John Barnes, Kevin Phillips and Luther Blissett. I always loved them for thrashing Leeds in the 2006 play off final.

9) Vicarage Road is one of the old school grounds with character. I prefer those to the new identikit stadiums that have been cropping up in Reading.Doncaster/Derby/Cardiff etc.

10) In 12 seasons watching Brighton at Withdean, that is without doubt the greatest goal I have seen at Withdean. It probably would have been the best goal I have ever seen, if I had not been at Selhurst Park, when David Beckham did his thing…

11) The push for promotion without a doubt is our main objective. Gus doesn't like the cups and keeps fielding weakened sides. Somehow we are still in The FA Cup. We are never going to win it, so the League takes priority. It doesn't even matter if we don't win the league, just as long as we go up.

12) I think our cup run will come to an end, but the 3,500 of us going will have a good old sing song and laugh whilst we're there. Prediction 2-1 Watford.

Brett M

Last edited:

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
1] What were your pre-season expectations and how are you faring compared to those?

Play offs was my target for this season, after seeing how much we had improved under Gus last season.

2] Poyet is quite highly rated as a manager by most, where do you think his career will take him?

He is a very good manager, and if he stays with us for a couple of seasons and proves himself he could go anywhere.

3] It seemingly looks like you're going to be promoted, are you gutted that Palace are going in the other direction?

Of course, as I have only supported albion for a few seasons I have yet to have the chance to see us play them, so will be annoying for it to happen but not the end of the world, theres always the cup.

Defence. Calde, el-abd, painter, and greer all class players.

Up front, Murray is our main goalscorer, we have Barnes, Sandaza, and Wood not that they are shit, but not as consistant as Glenn.

6] Tell us something new, something old, something blue and something borrowed about Brighton & Hove Albion FC.

New - We are top of league one!!!!
Old - FA Cup final 1983.
Blue- Most of our home kit.
Borrowed - Lua Lua from newcastle, scored some unreal goals.

I know nothing about Watford. Based on a quick google would be Danny Graham with 18 goals this season.

Your seen a decent set of supporters, not violent or anything like that.

Looks pretty old but I see it is set to be redeveloped so should be up there with the championships best soon enough.

Wasnt supporting Albion then due to my age.

11] Which is more important to you guys this season, a good cup run or concentrating on pushing for promotion?

Promotion, but a cup run would be nice.

Watford 1-2 Brighton and Hove Albion

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Upper mid table

Hopefully with us to at least the top of the championship, before getting a chance with a midtable prem club taking them into europa or whatever it is and perhaps to the edge of the top four before getting a chance to move to a bigger club, either here or abroad. I don't see him going to chelsea while abramovich is there.

Not particularly.

Defense, passing the ball, keeping possession, at least when in a confident mood.

I'm sure we have them...

-The Amex stadium our bright shining future
-1901 the year the club was born.
-The dominant home colour of out club
-Chris Wood, new zealan international on loan from West Brom has slotted into the team and has been improving each time he plays.

Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with them

I like Elton John.

Never been

I was, and to this day it frustrates me that Henderson came out so far when the watford player was already being accompanied by a defender, and then head the ball so hard if he was planning on just dinking it past the watford player, or why into the danger area if he wasn't instead of just knocking it out of play, and that has blinded me to the quality of the goal.

Cup runs are fun, but definitely promotion.

I think either way it will be a clear result. 2-0, maybe 3-0. Not sure which team will win though.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Top 4. (If Gus said during the close season we had a better squad and a better prepared squad, and our form second half of last season was 5th place, who am I to argue with his outlook?) Nicely on track.

The top. Too good for an English side to take on.

Nah. 'Gutted' isn't the right word. More 'indifferent'.

A midfield with imagination, creativity and speed.

A decent defence that concedes at set-pieces

New - optimism
Old - fear mixed with hope
Blue - half of our kit
Borrowed - for ages, I'd have said 'time', but now I'd say 'a shit stadium'

Luther Blissett, for I am he.

Traditionally known and appreciated as a family club - a concept which was groundbreaking during the 1980s.

That yellow, black and red is still a bit too noisy for my liking.

Yep. The git.

Promotion. But we're not abandoning the Cup just yet.

Entertaining game. Competitive til the final whistle. Narrow Watford victory.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
1] Was hoping for play-offs so very happy at the moment.

2] As he is consistantly linked with top jobs, a promotion will only enhance his growing reptutation he's forged over the football we play. I'd love for him to be a long-serving Brighton legend, but he will struggle to turn down the bigger jobs soon.

3] No, but it's a shame as on current performances of both clubs, I'd be hopeful of a win.

4] Greer's compsure on the ball and Taricco's training has really made El-abd into the league one Jamie Carragher. He's everywhere and throws himself in front of everything.

5] Squad depth. Calderon's recent ban meant Taricco had to play 3 games in a week. He did a blinding job mind you.

6] New - We finally get to move into our new stadium this year, sponsored by a locally based American Express, in the first instance of them affiliating with a club and risking losing rival fans. Simon Jordan doesn't have a credit history Amex would want anyway.
Old - Albion have been top for 17 league games - a club record since 1910 when we won the league and were champions of England
something borrowed - Kazenga LuaLua - his loan signing really kick-started our form and we want him back please Newcastle!
Blue - Crystal Palace when we go up and they replace us.

7] Scott Loach - Have no doubt he'll play for England

8] Always had a soft spot for the Hornets. Good family club and like to see you do well.

9] My last visit was a 4-3 win over Luton and a 22 man punchup about 16 years ago. Bet it looks the same.

10] Sadly no. Belter though and better than Beckham's as it was more controlled.

11] Promotion - The Amex Stadium deserves higher level football

12] Heart says we'll sneak it, but head says we'll be lucky for a draw, even if you did concede 4 your last game.

EDIT - thanks for the link for visiting fans. It's really handy.

Last edited:

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
Hi guys, I write a pre-game article before all our games and part of that involves an interview with opposition supporters. If you could fill out the following and return it in a reply, then I'll pick the better ones if there's quite a few and post a link to the article here.

Code:
[b]1] What were your pre-season expectations and how are you faring compared to those?[/b]

I expected us to reach the play offs, no better, no worse.

[b]2] Poyet is quite highly rated as a manager by most, where do you think his career will take him?[/b]

Like all Brighton fans i hope he is here for a very long time! Unfortunately, sooner or later a big premier league team is certain to come and take him off us though.

[b]3] It seemingly looks like you're going to be promoted, are you gutted that Palace are going in the other direction?[/b]

As much as i hope we do go up, i still think its too early to say it, but IF we do, then i will certainly be hoping Palace stay up.

[b]4] What are your squad's strengths?[/b]

Our back 5, the small amount of goals we have conceded and just how well they keep the ball, and how composed they are under pressure.

[b]5] And your squad's weaknesses?[/b]

Without Glenn Murray we are average.

[b]6] Tell us something new, something old, something blue and something borrowed about Brighton & Hove Albion FC[/b]

New: Craig Noone, new signing from Plymouth, looks to be a very exciting, tricky winger. Old: Withdean Stadium (almost anyway) Blue: The roof of our stunning new stadium. Borrowed: Chris Wood, the WBA Striker has completed a season long loan deal with us.

[b]7] If you could have one Watford player for your starting XI, who would it be?[/b]

I don't know if he has played for you yet, but Andros Townsend.

[b]8] What is your opinion on Watford FC, as a club, team and set of supporters?[/b]

Seem like a farily friendly bunvh from what i've experienced.

[b]9] What do you think of Vicarage Road?[/b]

Haven't been for a few years, but i quite liked it, and we should be able to make some great noise in it!

[b]10] Were you there at your place for Chris Eagles super half way liner?[/b]

I was not, but i remember it well.

[b]11] Which is more important to you guys this season, a good cup run or concentrating on pushing for promotion?[/b]

Pushing for promotion, compared to going up, a cup run is absolutely nothing in my opinion.

[b]12] Last but not least, what are your match predictions?[/b]

Should be a very good match, as both teams seem to score plenty of goals, and play fast, exciting football. I'll go for 3-2 Watford

Cheers for that guys. Enjoy the trip down if you're coming, click here for a visitors guide on Vicarage Road and best of luck with the rest of your season, hopefully see you next year!

:thumbsup:

You need to buy a strip of those allotments so away fans don't have to trek round them!
I quite like the ground, one of the side stands reminds me of the West Stand at the Goldstone.

6] Tell us something borrowed about Brighton & Hove Albion FC
The name Albion was borrowed from WBA. (may it never be returned).

Last edited:

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
1] What were your pre-season expectations and how are you faring compared to those? I was hoping for 6th Place but we are currently doing better then we expected and hope to win Championship football for Falmer !

2] Poyet is quite highly rated as a manager by most, where do you think his career will take him? I think he needs to stick with us for another few years to see what he can do. Very promising manager.

3] It seemingly looks like you're going to be promoted, are you gutted that Palace are going in the other direction? Not at all.

4] What are your squad's strengths? Going forward and frustrating teams in a build up for a goal.

5] And your squad's weaknesses? Haven't got many.

7] If you could have one Watford player for your starting XI, who would it be? Danny Graham.

8] What is your opinion on Watford FC, as a club, team and set of supporters? Good team, wish them well on their play off challenge, supporters noise isn't the best.

9] What do you think of Vicarage Road? I've never been.

10] Were you there at your place for Chris Eagles super half way liner? I was indeed, superb goal.

11] Which is more important to you guys this season, a good cup run or concentrating on pushing for promotion? I think anyone would answer that promotion is much more important to us, Championship football for Falmer has always been our goal.

12] Last but not least, what are your match predictions? 3-1 each way.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Was hoping for play-offs. Table says it all.

Wherever he wants. He is amazing.

Not at all. I hope this is just the start of their descent.

Cover in most positions. Ball retention, generally.

Ha. Nice try Malky.

NEW: New stadium, badge and kit for next season.
OLD: Number 15 Gary Hart, has been at the club for 78 years.
BLUE: The ROOF of the new stadium. Its a sore point for some UNGRATEFUL PRICKS on here.
BORROWED: Withdean. Its shit, but the loan of it kept us alive.

Danny Graham, no question. Not only is he a great striker in his own right, but he's Glenn Murray's
mate too, so could help persuade him to sign a new deal.

You really are a 'nothing' club to me, sorry. I wish you no harm, but have no strong feelings either way.

Only been once, for the cup game in 84 or 85. Hope its improved a bit since.

Yes. I blame our keeper, Wayne Henderson, for his shocking header - for not heading it into touch. Decent strike though!

Promotion >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cup.

1-1 draw and back to Withdean.

SW17

Jan 2, 2007
South London
1] I expected top 5, knew that the chairman would not accept another relegation battle. Never expected us to be this high for this long.

2]Can't really tell this early, he's definitely made the best start to being a manager as possible, he's got a great chairman behind him and a club with a future it's upto his own judgement where he goes next, there'll be offers around the corner.

3] Seriously I don't want them to drop if we go up. The rivalry could really get going again if we're both in The Championship. Would be funny to be a league above them though.

4] The back four are easily the best in this league.

5] Not many from the youth set up now which isn't really a weakness

6] We won the Charity Shield in 1910. Our old ground is now a Toys R Us. Noel Gifton-Williams played for us on loan. Liam Bridcutt is on loan for us from Chelsea now -so he's a Blue

7] Have heard good things about Will Buckley

8] One of those teams you like to see do well, have always played nice football, they're run properly and the youth's a good set up. Like them really.

9] Always nice to see an old ground get developed instead of just moving to a new 'warehouse' (us excluded for obvious reasons) That old stand needs a facelift. Pity that it's so far from station and egg-chasers use the pitch once a week.

10] No but I've seen it enough times to last the rest of my life

11] Don't worry about that, I've got moneyon Glenn Murray to be top goal-scorer in League 1 and he's on the bench some weeks. Promotion without a doubt.

12] I think you'll win say 3-1. Just going to enjoy the day because whatever happens we can't drop any points!

Code:
[b]1] What were your pre-season expectations and how are you faring compared to those?[/b] i thought we would be mid table at best,doing slightly better

[b]2] Poyet is quite highly rated as a manager by most, where do you think his career will take him?[/b] away from brighton chelsea or spurs via another club

[b]3] It seemingly looks like you're going to be promoted, are you gutted that Palace are going in the other direction?[/b] very gutted i love them soppy guys and girls

[b]4] What are your squad's strengths?[/b] poyet keeps them all on their toes,no big time chalies all squad players

[b]5] And your squad's weaknesses?[/b] murray a cut above and if he's not there well?

[b]6] Tell us something new, something old, something blue and something borrowed about Brighton & Hove Albion FC[/b] new we aint skint no more,old me,blue the falmer roof wanted green,borrowed withdean

[b]7] If you could have one Watford player for your starting XI, who would it be?[/b] none those who play in watford stay in watford

[b]8] What is your opinion on Watford FC, as a club, team and set of supporters?[/b] good family club happy to see them win

[b]9] What do you think of Vicarage Road?[/b]would like it finished

[b]10] Were you there at your place for Chris Eagles super half way liner?[/b] might have been

[b]11] Which is more important to you guys this season, a good cup run or concentrating on pushing for promotion?[/b]league for all  other brighton fans cup for me

[b]12] Last but not least, what are your match predictions?[/b] 1-2 to brighton

thanks very much sir:thumbsup:

Prentice

Jan 24, 2011
Click here for the Match Preview thread.

If anything is inaccurate or completely wrong, please point it out!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here