Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton charged

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
The amount of yellows & reds don't not equate to the number of fouls that we have committed. There was a thread the other day showing the disparity. Other players in the Championship seem to have more guile than our players, committing more fouls but not getting booked for them. As for the Navarro 'tackle', watching it again on the FL show highlights, Navarro had already kicked the ball before the Southampton player fell over his outstretched leg.

Exactly, part of being a top player is the 'ability' to get away with a lot more!

Indeed, Navarro hardly touched him...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Wasn't gus charged last season for his reaction to a terrible referee decision (possibly post-match comments), but when he had his trial, they were lenient with him, presumably because the bad decision was provocation. I would like to think the FA would take that into consideration.

Though, you'd have to look at the cards

Dunk Yellow - Questionable whether it was a foul, but I don't think it was so clear that it can be deemed unjust. In this instance you can't blame poor refereeing, he was booked for the foul, not his reaction to the following wrong penalty decision.
Taricco Red - Can totally argue against this, he was reacting to an embarrasingly bad decision. No, you can't swear at a ref, but in the face of such injustice, when the ref has been swearing, perhaps this should be taken into consideration.
Navarro yellow- Can't really question this. It wasn't about the injustice of Walton's decision, it was a foul. He may have got the ball first, but it was not a good tackle.
Calderon yellow- This, like dunk, was for a foul and was born out of the players frustration with Walton's ineptitude. It was, however, not a foul. So, shouldn't really count.
Noone yellow - I don't remember this one, i says on espnsoccernet it was for dissent after conceding a foul. Given decisions made by Walton, I'd say this is probably mitigated.
Barnes yellow - Dissent as above.

So, I would argue that the FA should look at the game and look at Barnes, Noone, and Taricco's cards as a reaction to bad refereeing, Calderon's as a mistake by the ref, and should dismiss the charges, while reminding the club that although they understand the players' frustrations, the referee's decision is final, and dissent, even dissent to a poor decision, is not acceptable, and next time there won't b such leniency.

And if we have so many yellows and they include dissent, the club should then face charges, regardless of the performance of the ref.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It does depend on how bad the fouls are though, others may have committed more, by they may be for minor things such as pushing at a corner etc.

Painter's red card at Leicester which was for a second yellow. The first yellow was a 50/50 ball and the second yellow was for handball when his hands were down by his side and ball to hand. It was nowhere near the penalty area, and was a shocking decision. The ref made it to make up for disallowing a goal when Leicester were called back to take a free kick instead of playing advantage. I was there so saw it for myself.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Painter's red card at Leicester which was for a second yellow. The first yellow was a 50/50 ball and the second yellow was for handball when his hands were down by his side and ball to hand. It was nowhere near the penalty area, and was a shocking decision. The ref made it to make up for disallowing a goal when Leicester were called back to take a free kick instead of playing advantage. I was there so saw it for myself.

That's true. No way should Painter have been sent off there

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
When you compare the tackle that Gully Prada put in on Painter that earned him a Yellow with the fouls that Navarro/Dunk/Calderon committed it does seem a bit unjust. I know i'm biased but he lunged in high & studs up and on another day could easily have had a straight red.

Noone was gobbing off at the lino for his yellow.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
£5,000 fine , if we plead mitigating circumstances backed up by overwhelming evidence it will be increased to £10,000.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Something needs to happen, as it is getting out of hand. As much as we want to blame the ref, we need to improve our discipline

Not fussed about them, we're bottom of the discipline table and need to sort ourselves out
f***ing hell, your a barrel of laughs mate.

It applies to the Southampton game, nothing more. And yes, you can blame the ref, as he acted and performed like a twat.

So we are bottom of the discipline table. Get over it. Worry about something more important, or are you a ref or FA worker yourself, and as such hate to be questioned, even though your own official are to blame in this case.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
f***ing hell, your a barrel of laughs mate.

It applies to the Southampton game, nothing more. And yes, you can blame the ref, as he acted and performed like a twat.

So we are bottom of the discipline table. Get over it. Worry about something more important, or are you a ref or FA worker yourself, and as such hate to be questioned, even though your own official are to blame in this case.

Haha, no nothing to do with referees or the FA. Yes there are mitigating circumstances for the red card and some of the yellows against Saints. But it still doesn't change the fact that our discipline (or lack of) is getting worse, which is only going to cause problems for the club. We're seen as a dirty cheating team by lots of other clubs, which is a shame.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I really don't see any way the FA (or FL - I wasn't sure who ran this stuff) could have let the Southampton game go with the TV clearly showing our Man Utd-esque crowding and bumping the ref antics.

One of our players - Barnes I think it was - barged straight into the ref and could easily have gone for that alone.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

this maybe so but surely the ref is there to make sure the laws of the game are adhered to not make up his own rules, so he made a mistake why make the other team pay for it
the FA really do need to get a grip of the bad reffing its OK to have a go at players indiscipline but you can't do that and turn a blind eye to a ref who has clearly lost the plot.
where have all the refs gone like Taylor or even Thomas who saw the rules were adhered to and got on OK with the players.
we also seem to suffer from other teams playing on the fact that Gus and Tanno and to a point the team are passionate about decisions that are clearly wrong, how would we all feel if such a blatantly bad decision was made in the workplace there would be clear rules about it and whatever was wrong would be put right ....but we are talking about the FA which is akin to the North Korean administration and as transparent as a lead coffin.

nothing will ever be done until the FA lose a substantial amount of money after being sued by a large club over a crucial decision which loses a club either promotion or cause a club to be relegated
IMHO this is why the FA do not like the idea of using technology for close decisions because the refs would be made to look very silly ...........look we all make mistakes even the better refs make mistakes but do we remember them the bad refs make mistakes and don't learn from them because they don't have to.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Referees are 'punished' - it's just not quite so public. Both teams get to rate the officials - you can bet at least one of last Saturday's managers would have been damning of Walton's performance. Additionally, an assessor will have been present to review his performance. Results feed into what is, effectively, a league table of officials and where you lie in that determines what appointments you get.
And as Walton is a Premier League ref enough bad ratings will see him demoted to reffing more games in the Championship.

Oh.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
That's the stupid thing isn't it, not good enough for the top flight but it doesn't matter if you're not good enough for the lower leagues

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought it was about getting 5 yellow cards, just read that it's for our reaction to the award of the second penalty.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Massive cop out by the FA. The players' reaction to the first penalty was much worse than the second, yet they are charging us over the second, because they don't fancy scrutinising what led to the first, too closely. Pathetic.

"Albion have been charged by the FA with misconduct following their 3-0 defeat at Southampton last Saturday.

The Seagulls have been charged "for failure to ensure its players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion."

They have until 4pm on Monday to respond.

The charge relates to the SECOND penalty awarded by referee Peter Walton, according to the paperwork supplied to the club by the FA.

Walton had already incensed Albion by awarding Saints a 57th minute spot-kick when replays clearly showed Lewis Dunk's challenge on Jose Fonte was outside the area. Mauricio Taricco was sent-off for swearing in the ensuing protests.

Albion were also angry when Walton awarded Saints another penalty in the 68th minutes for a challenge by sub Inigo Calderon on Rickie Lambert.

The paperwork supplied to the club about the charge by the FA refers only to that incident."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here