Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton boss Gus Poyet warns Lewis Dunk suitors BBC Website

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I understand we have to let players move on if Premiership clubs come sniffing, but our situation has changed drastically in a very short space of time. If clubs want our best players now we shouldn't be letting them go to better themselves, we should be demanding top dollar for them. I want £8 million plus for someone as quality as Dunk, if we let him go like we did Bennett and Crofts then we'd be mugs. I should point out that we had to let EB and AC go, but I think we under valued them, we shouldn't have to now.

Lush

Mods' Pet
World of difference between the price of top League 1 player and the price of a top Championship player, even when they are effectively the same player.

If we sold Elliott Bennet now, we'd get more for him.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
basement figure of £10mil. Outstanding performer in a team that is top of the championship, and he's only 19, oxo-chamberlain went for that money from league one.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Presumably he's supported the Albion all his life? Now that we're on the up I doubt he'd want to leave. If we go up then he'll stay, if we don't we may need the extra cash. He's only 19, he wont go anyway.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Rumours in these parts that Villa are intersted in young Mr Dunk.

If I hadn't been born & raised a Villa supporter I'd cheerfully tell Big 'Eck to f***ing well do one! That said, if we (The REAL Albion) can't hold on to Master Dunk when crazy lucre is flying around in January, I think he'd be a brilliant aquisition & I'm sure his talent would be carefully nurtured at Villa Park. The worse case scenario for me (& probably for young Lewis) is if he went to a club with more money than is healthy & hardly gets any first team football. I bloody well hope he stays put though, at least for this season...

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Agreed. We know what he can do - but he hasn't proved it over a given period.

Who is going to cough up silly money for someone so... inexperienced?

I give you Chris Smalling.
From Maidstone to a handful of games for Fulham then £12 million i think to Man Utd.

Your right we will probably get £3 million plus add ons.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
If we remain top, it stands to reason his value will go up. He is a local lad, and if we were in the premiership next season i suspect he would stay. Either way it is a win win for the Albion. All clubs have to sell when the price is right. Will be interesting how he copes with the next four games, could be a good indicator. Quality strikers like Carroll, Suarez,Beckford,Becchio and Murray !!

Good luck Lewis glad to have you here and long may it continue.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
If Oxocube-Chambermaid was worth £12 million then I'd expect Barca to accept a straight swap for Messi for our Lionel.

Craig4004

Aug 30, 2011
Peacehaven
I think if he was gonna leave, 1: he would go to a premiership club that's unlikely to go down. 2, not go until next summer (dependant on where we finish this season) and 3, if Gus would let him go for the right price. He's been amazing so far thus season and I really hope he doesn't go. If we go up thus year, I don't reckon he will leave anyway :) fingers crossed!

Great defenders are rarer treasure than goalscorers, and there's no doubt he'll be a wanted man if he keeps playing so well. It's the sorry fact about success - we have to watch the team getting cherry-picked by 'big' clubs - and maybe even the manager.
However, Dunk isn't going to want to be in a struggle, even in the Prem - so the longer we stay at the top the more chance players like him may consider staying as a better option.

Come the end of the season, Bennett might be glancing to the club he left and thinking the grass wasn't necessarily greener.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here