Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton boss Gus Poyet warns Lewis Dunk suitors BBC Website

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Brighton & Hove Albion manager Gus Poyet says any Premier League club interested in central defender Lewis Dunk will have to pay a high price.

The 19-year-old has started all of Albion's games this season.

Poyet told BBC Sussex: "Sometimes you cannot keep players forever. We couldn't do it with Andrew Crofts or Elliott Bennett.

"They'll have to pay. I'm not bothered. Everybody's got a price. Dunky has got his price because of the way he plays."

Poyet added: "If he goes to play in the Premier League, I can't control that. I can control him while he's here, and make sure he does his basics."

Dunk graduated through Albion's Centre of Excellence and Scolarship system, and was offered his first professional contract in April 2010, having made his first-team debut in the penultimate game of the 2009/10 season.

How much can we hold out for DUNK if Phil Jones went for £16.5m.

Great English player we have brought through, should we cash in or try and hold to him???[/B]

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
It's early doors but I would be devastated if we didn't get at least £5m plus add-ons for him. From what we have seen so far, he has the makings of a future England centre back.
What odds would you get on a Phil Jones/Lewis Dunk England CB pairing at the 2018 world cup I wonder?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
A 19 year old player PROVEN in a team that is top of the Championship is worth a lot more than £5 million.

This is absolutely spot-on, if he was the difference between the Albion getting promoted or remaining in the Championship then his value would be many times a £5m valuation.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
If find that comment a bit strange from Gus.Without a doubt Lewis is playing well & has cemented his place in the team even when adam & Tommy are fit again.The last thing we want is for Lewis to start thinking he is better than he is & starts getting cocky.Also let's see how he plays when Adam & Tommy are fit & he has competition for his place which he has not had so far this season.

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
It's early doors but I would be devastated if we didn't get at least £5m plus add-ons for him. From what we have seen so far, he has the makings of a future England centre back.
What odds would you get on a Phil Jones/Lewis Dunk England CB pairing at the 2018 world cup I wonder?

have you seen the price proven teens in the championship go for £8 + mil !!!

TBH I think he will want to stay with his home town team and try gain promotion with us

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Having watched Chelsea last night (the goal apart and to be honest it was a very good goal) if I were to have a Lewis in my back four it would be spelt with an s and not a z and followed by the word Dunk - not their guy.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
If find that comment a bit strange from Gus.Without a doubt Lewis is playing well & has cemented his place in the team even when adam & Tommy are fit again.The last thing we want is for Lewis to start thinking he is better than he is & starts getting cocky.Also let's see how he plays when Adam & Tommy are fit & he has competition for his place which he has not had so far this season.

Perhaps he knows that Dunk is already being approached by premier league clubs and/or the club has had enquiries about his availability.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Perfect situation for us really. If a Premier League club comes in with a huge offer then great, let him go. As usual Gus will just find and average player from the division below to replace him and make him amazing.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Rumours in these parts that Villa are intersted in young Mr Dunk.

Here's Johnny!

All work and no play.....
Nov 27, 2008
Worthing
If we're still in the mix and he's starting in Jan and a prem club came in who are flirting with relegation and offered a position as a squad player would Dunk want to go?

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Clearly none of you read the Argus Q&A!

Q:

Comment From Russ in Rhodes
Hi from Rhodes Greece, Andy just a little concerned about both yourselves (The Argus) printing stories and Gus stating that any Premiership wanting to come in for Dunk will have to raise there money offers if there are indeed anyone interested. We have come a long way over the last couple years and part of that is down to the manager but also down to the quality of players we have brought on board it seems a little silly now to be talking about the possibilities of selling our better player/s. Your opinion as always welcome.

A:

Wouldn't worry about that Russ. Gus was just giving an honest answer to a question from my radio colleague Johnny Cantor. I suspect Johnny asked it because, as I later found out, Warren Aspinall had apparently mentioned on air about Dunkly catching the attention of Harry Redknapp. Every player is effectively for sale at every club at the right price and in the right circumstances.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Clearly none of you read the Argus Q&A!

Q:

Comment From Russ in Rhodes
Hi from Rhodes Greece, Andy just a little concerned about both yourselves (The Argus) printing stories and Gus stating that any Premiership wanting to come in for Dunk will have to raise there money offers if there are indeed anyone interested. We have come a long way over the last couple years and part of that is down to the manager but also down to the quality of players we have brought on board it seems a little silly now to be talking about the possibilities of selling our better player/s. Your opinion as always welcome.

A:

Wouldn't worry about that Russ. Gus was just giving an honest answer to a question from my radio colleague Johnny Cantor. I suspect Johnny asked it because, as I later found out, Warren Aspinall had apparently mentioned on air about Dunkly catching the attention of Harry Redknapp. Every player is effectively for sale at every club at the right price and in the right circumstances.

Thus it has all arisen from Aspinall's comment- and you can carry as much weight on that comment as you believe, really..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here