Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton and Hove Albion,the business model.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yes. We might. But we signed 9 players last summer so would it be any different if we signed 8 or 9 players this summer.
By the time we've bulked out the u23 team, we might well go through that 8 or 9.

Another difference is that there were major sales. So what we spent was much less than what we got in. Of course, there might be this summer, but lets say they are being less widely trailed

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
By the time we've bulked out the u23 team, we might well go through that 8 or 9.

Another difference is that there were major sales. So what we spent was much less than what we got in. Of course, there might be this summer, but lets say they are being less widely trailed
Well its likely we're selling Undav and Gross and i wouldn't rule out another sale if a big offer comes in.

Yes. it will be no surprise if we make 8 or 9 signings this summer but i doubt it will be a lot more so similar again to previous summers.

But the OP is trying to make the argument that contracts (all of which seem to be the standard 4 or 5 years or 4 + 1), wages, and fees and markets/age profile/experience) are somehow different, we're "going for it" and the model is different.
Apart from the fact that the club have said nothing of the sort then i'm struggling to find evidence of that.
Yes. last season we signed Dahoud, Fati and Igor that didn't quite fit the model. But we know what happened there.

Last edited:

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
No doubt in my mind that change is afoot,you only have to look at the signings the women's team have made to realise a shift from we're doing ok to it's time for more.
How the changes effect our business model is unclear but for sure there's definitely more skin in the game from Mr Bloom.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
No doubt in my mind that change is afoot,you only have to look at the signings the women's team have made to realise a shift from we're doing ok to it's time for more.
How the changes effect our business model is unclear but for sure there's definitely more skin in the game from Mr Bloom.
Its funny that where others see change i just see Albion doing what they've done for years.
Albion have had a top 4 target in the WSL for years and have invested heavily to try and reach that goal but post Lionesses then the WSL is more competitive than ever so they've struggled (to extent they've bumped around the lower end of the table) and they've also had hiccups with previous coaches who haven't worked out.
Not sure signing Fran Kirby or a new coach or indeed making progress on a new stadium indicates anything other than continuity rather than "change is afoot".

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think the club felt stung a bit last season by accusations of lacking ambition. PBOBE spent a lot of media time towards the end of the season attempting to play these down. Maybe the healthy activity this transfer window and the appointment of new directors is partially in response to that. If so, hurrah!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Last season we reportedly bid £40Mish for Kudus, Colwill, and later Dewsbury-Hall. We didn't get any of them obviously, but the club were in the market for players with more proven ability, and higher price tags.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Certainly seems like we're moving fast in the transfer market, which could indicate a slight change in strategy. It's also influenced by the financial constraints others are operating under and our cash rich position. Strike while the iron's hot and all that.
Have to disagree with this being some sort of indication of change.

The club has been VERY quick on the transfer market for a lot of years with no more than two first team players (usually less) joining in August (or later) since the summer of 2019 when Mooy, Maupay and Webster all arrived in early August. Nearly the same number when you look at "after pre-season training started" rather than "August+".

Probably not too different this time around, don't think there will be more than 2 more first team players arriving.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think the club felt stung a bit last season by accusations of lacking ambition. PBOBE spent a lot of media time towards the end of the season attempting to play these down. Maybe the healthy activity this transfer window and the appointment of new directors is partially in response to that. If so, hurrah!
Their response to someone who criticised the club quite openly last season about lacking ambition was to er, show him the door.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Their response to someone who criticised the club quite openly last season about lacking ambition was to er, show him the door.
Sure. But its not beyond the realms of possibility that that criticism was reflected on at board level, taken on board in part or in full, and has prompted a bit of fresh impetus for the coming season. A partial re-boot if you like

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think there's been a conscious change and as I said I think the "playing budget" if such a thing exists is going to rise more sharply than we've seen in other years.

But I can't ignore also that there's a large element of randomness with the targets which become available and the signings that we land, so it's quite hard to separate that from what the conscious change of approach has been

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Sure. But its not beyond the realms of possibility that that criticism was reflected on at board level, taken on board in part or in full, and has prompted a bit of fresh impetus for the coming season. A partial re-boot if you like
. Of course fees will increase and three years of finishing 9th, 11th and 6th, some big sales and Europe will mean a different set of circumstances to the those first few years of Hughton and Potter - but whats the actual criticism that you think has been taken on board ? Weir and Barber reaffirmed their recruitment / club model just a few days ago via https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/my-albion-tv/my-albion-audio
I think you're looking for something that isn't there.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think there's been a conscious change and as I said I think the "playing budget" if such a thing exists is going to rise more sharply than we've seen in other years.

But I can't ignore also that there's a large element of randomness with the targets which become available and the signings that we land, so it's quite hard to separate that from what the conscious change of approach has been
Yes...because the (unchanged) strategy and model has banked the cash that allows that to happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here