Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton and Hove Albion,the business model.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Many pundits are suggesting our latest managerial punt could be a mistake ( no shit Sherlock) but disregarding this lazy sort of captain hindsight journalism thus far the club seems to be much more aggressive in the transfer market and it's quite clear the manager wants more wingers than Douglas Bader to get us up the pitch faster.
Yes we have a few quid to play with due to previous smart acquisition and sell on profits.

I've a feeling in my bones we've changed course a bit and any new superstars we unearth will find it much harder to be using us as a stepping stone,in fact personally I'd like to think we do so well they wouldn't want to leave anyway.

Of course this is all pie in the sky gibberish as we all know it could go tits up but something has to change if the manager actually believes himself when he says we want to challenge the establishment,to me that's not just him saying it it's a message from TB that it's time to have a real go at it and our basic business model that's served us so well must now be altered to bridge the gap firstly in wages,and contract terms

I'm not suggesting radical changes like we start buying players because they've had a good game on the telly,but the plain fact is the establishment are very capable of playing their second choice team and still picking up points,and that's where we need to be regarding squad depth as we found out last season.

Kinel I'm waffling so do you feel a shift or change is happening in our much loved and revered business model,or are we just hoping things work out as they are and remain a solid EPL club but nothing more.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Certainly seems like we're moving fast in the transfer market, which could indicate a slight change in strategy. It's also influenced by the financial constraints others are operating under and our cash rich position. Strike while the iron's hot and all that.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I said on another thread that this window feels different - normally we start the new season with some new faces, yes, but the team is still recognisable from last season's. This year, I'm not sure we'll recognise 'our' team at first, though obviously we'll quickly get used to it.
Whether it's a change in policy, or just a recognition that the last half of last season showed that a good shake up was needed I don't know. My thoughts are slightly towards the latter - the last few weeks of the season felt like the end of several roads really. I do wonder what the team will look like at the start of the season though!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think the business model is changing.

I think the fabulous profits we made last summer and the window before was us taking a one off opportunity to rinse the hell out of Chelsea. I don't think we'll be sanctioning that many big sales in such a short space of time. They will be more spaced out

But I think the biggest change is that we will be more competitive on wages than we have been. I don't mean we're going full on Chelsea, Everton, Villa etc, but I think we'll move up the league table of average wages in the coming years.

Evidence one for this is all the business we're doing so early. Most of these players had the chance to hang around for a better deal closer to the end of the window. They were happy to take what we were offering.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I agree with the OP, I think there is a change in the air. After the fireworks of De Zerbi I think we have taken a turn to a much more business like approach. We've raised the floor with the team and we are now looking to push on and take a few chance on the way.

Hürzeler whilst clearly ambitious and passionate, seems completely grounded and focused, I think the players will take to him very well. Next up the transfer window so far, unlike in previous seasons, no f**king around. Additions so far young, quick, exciting and productive. Depth has been added to the attack and they seem to suit the new manager's style. Also DM addressed early also with Wieffer now able to keep Baleba company in the centre of the field.

I'm drinking the Kool-aid for the moment, I was down after RDZ chose to leave but I think we have regained momentum and top eight is now a legitimate aspiration rather than the wishful thinking I thought it was a few weeks ago.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
One thing I will say is that, as we all know, Tony Bloom is a professional poker player. Some will mistakenly think that means he's likely to take risks. But I think the opposite is true. You don't get to be a professional gambler by making risky bets. You get there by understanding the odds and knowing when to hold off and when to strike. Tony Bloom is absolutely not going "all-in" unless he is sure he has everything stacked up in his favor.

Having said that, Tony does seem to be making some big bets this transfer window. Which I believe he would not do lightly. He's not quite "all-in", but he's certainly putting a big stack of chips on the table. So personally, I find this very exciting.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
the transfer window so far, unlike in previous seasons, no f**king around.
But surely every year we're looking to do this, get our targets and players for key positions as early as we can.

I don't think it's fair to imply we "****** around" in previous years. It's just that this year we've managed to do it more successfully.

I don't know how we're managing this, but I do know we have a warchest like never before, so I reckon we're paying much better than we normally do. I've got a feeling when we see the table of how much we're paying to agents, we're going to be horrified!

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I think Minteh is going to be a great signing for us. I know it has been talked about on here, but to me it still feels like the significance of his signing may have passed a few people by.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
TB has a operated a very clear business strategy until now, a rarity in the PL with perhaps Liverpool and Spurs?, we set out to breakeven or make a profit. Calculated risks are taken on young talent to later sell for a profit. It worked and works.

What's changed now? Some older well paid players are off, we're buying 3 to 4 players to fill the gaping holes in last year's squad. Paid for by the saved payroll and the huge profits in recent years.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
But surely every year we're looking to do this, get our targets and players for key positions as early as we can.

I don't think it's fair to imply we "****** around" in previous years. It's just that this year we've managed to do it more successfully.

I don't know how we're managing this, but I do know we have a warchest like never before, so I reckon we're paying much better than we normally do. I've got a feeling when we see the table of how much we're paying to agents, we're going to be horrified!
We have tended to do a lot of serious business at the end of the window though. The model has has provided us with the warchest for this summer and we have unleashed it early. The plan had been to get us into this position and we have taken advantage.

The plan for Bloom and Barber seems to be coming together quite nicely. I too have no doubt the agent fees will be horrifying.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I agree with the OP, I think there is a change in the air. After the fireworks of De Zerbi I think we have taken a turn to a much more business like approach. We've raised the floor with the team and we are now looking to push on and take a few chance on the way.

Hürzeler whilst clearly ambitious and passionate, seems completely grounded and focused, I think the players will take to him very well. Next up the transfer window so far, unlike in previous seasons, no f**king around. Additions so far young, quick, exciting and productive. Depth has been added to the attack and they seem to suit the new manager's style. Also DM addressed early also with Wieffer now able to keep Baleba company in the centre of the field.

I'm drinking the Kool-aid for the moment, I was down after RDZ chose to leave but I think we have regained momentum and top eight is now a legitimate aspiration rather than the wishful thinking I thought it was a few weeks ago.
I don't think it's a change at all...............it's just the long-term strategy bearing yet more fruit. It was pretty clear in the January window that the club were keeping their pile of chips (carefully built through operating the same strategy for a while now) for a) the fire sale by a few clubs b) the inability of many other clubs to splash the cash because they don't have it and c) until De Zerbi was gone (suspect TB/PB knew then they were going to have to part company with him)

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I don't think it's a change at all...............it's just the long-term strategy bearing yet more fruit. It was pretty clear in the January window that the club were keeping their pile of chips (carefully built through operating the same strategy for a while now) for a) the fire sale by a few clubs b) the inability of many other clubs to splash the cash because they don't have it and c) until De Zerbi was gone (suspect TB/PB knew then they were going to have to part company with him)
I actually agree with all of that. I guess the change I am feeling is that it is a higher level than before, with our liquidity giving us that extra boost to act more decisively than before.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Don’t see the business model changing but thought the playing side began to derail second half of 23/24 season. Probably the first time since 18/19 season. TB/PB stepped up their response then just as they seem to be doing now.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
I don't think it's a different strategy at all. It's just a good market for us at the moment and we can take advantage.
I'd frame it as the same strategy but scaled up, less so in response to last season's failures and more so in recognition of how well we have done financially and the opportunities that has created for us.

Some might argue that scaling up defeats the purpose of the strategy, which is in part to keep player costs low in an effort to ensure sustainability. However, IMV, it makes sense to spend more (proportionately) as revenues increase, at least on transfer fees if not wages, and adjust accordingly if revenues fall.

The problem is when clubs spend beyond their means in pursuit of sporting success - I don't see us doing that right now.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I think it's still the model but ramped up and spending early. Where we'd get a player for £5-10m, it's now £10-20m

We are the highest spenders in the PL this summer so far and 3rd highest internationally. That's not how it's been.

View attachment 1854678
20240710_173400.jpg

Attachments

• 20240710_173350.jpg
    20240710_173350.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 32

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
I think it's still the model but ramped up and spending early. Where we'd get a player for £5-10m, it's now £10-20m

We are the highest spenders in the PL this summer so far and 3rd highest internationally. That's not how it's been.

View attachment 1854678View attachment 185467
Assuming a) we do not make any major sales this summer and b) we make another major signing (or even two), we might still be in the top five come August 30. Not out of the question.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I don't believe the model has changed but our circumstances have. When you're just trying to survive in the Premier League, you can find players under £10m that are good enough. Once you're trying to punch above your weight in the top 10, there are going to be far fewer bargains. Even at £30m though, we're still looking for players we could sell for twice that in a couple of years.

I think it's also a recognition that a few players left sooner than was ideal so we need to strengthen. With no European football to contend with, maybe we can really rock the boat again. Over to you Herr Hürzeler...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here