Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton 7 Charlton 0 1983 - Were you there - I wasn't

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
7-0 declared. Ring failed his chance.

And I was at the 3-4 defeat when Gerry fell had his best game and there were probably about 10,000 from the Albion, i.e. more than the home fans and the Old Valley was by favourite away ground; just like a bigger and better Goldstone Chicken Run.

You were either there and most fans were, or you weren't (some fans were not born which is fair excuse). And the team nearly did not make it so bad was the traffic congestion to London.

PS: we were undefeated at the start of the match.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
kalinski said:
Just getting this right...was this the Case hattrick?

If so my Dad couldn't go so i went on my own but he told me that he had spotted Case in the all night cafe looking the worse for wear late Friday night (early Sat). My Dad was going to work. He told me that Case would be useless....he wouldn't believe me how he had played!!!!

Yep thats the one.

Jul 5, 2003
October 1st 1983 - Oh what a birthday present that was! To be honest, Charlton weren't at all bad that day. They had almost as many shots as we did. The big difference was that we could finish and they couldn't.

If I remember correctly we scored with almost every attack we had in the first half and all 7 goals were scored in the first hour or so.

A bloke from work went to the game with his Charlton supporting mate and he said that is was the best display of finishing he had seen in 30 odd years of watching Charlton.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I was there, and what a superb day it was.

I was stood on the West .... with my mum! :blush:

My mate Chris has spent the years since saying "Come on, I've NEVER seen 7" whenever we've scored as many as 3, in the vain hope that I would no longer have seen a bigger win than him.

Yep, you've guessed it, despuite being a STH for many years, my mate had to work, and couldn't make the Northwich game this season. :lolol:

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
Mellor 3 Ward 4 said:
No - go on one more guess then I'll tell you!

(He wasn't a regular -18 games that season and 2 goals)

Was it Gerry Fell ? a great game and took an hour looking for the car afterwards.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
cheshunt seagull said:
I was there. East terrace with my dad.

Should have been 8-0, Muir missed a sitter late on.

Was Muir the fella who played mostly in the reserves and went on to play upfront for Tranmere and score loads?

Last edited:

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
I was there with the cousin of a friend who was over visiting from Ireland. He was more of a GAA type and hadn't been to a football match before.

Talking to him later, he'd clearly assumed that we win 7-0 every week...

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
I was there

Back of the North Stand as always.

Remember a copper asked me the score as he had lost count!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here