Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridge car park!!! F*****g joke!!!!

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I use the uni and think it is excellent. One gripe I have is the inability of the stewards to manage the zebra crossing at the end if the game. It would be easy to hold the traffic, let some people cross and then do the opposite. Instead they stand and watch as traffic and pedestrians jostle to use the same bit of road at the same time. It's not difficult and frankly I don't see the point of them otherwise.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I understand doing it last night, but serious question here: with the trains and buses available, why on earth would you drive regularly?!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I understand doing it last night, but serious question here: with the trains and buses available, why on earth would you drive regularly?!
Cos I don't finish work in the better half of Sussex on a Saturday until 13:15.
Making the journey to Mill Road a stressy ball ache.

That said, I'm so happy with the uni parking it'll be hard to give up, even though I can't afford it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

That said, I'm so happy with the uni parking it'll be hard to give up, even though I can't afford it.

Exactly the same as you i work up until the last moment....and park in someones driveway at Coldean for a small fee..and arrive at ground at 2.55 normally

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sat in the north end of the ESU for the first time nice view tried to get the crowd going they looked at me if I was wierd

I am convinced there are two dead people in front of our lot in East Upper North End.
When Albion scored these two oldies (older than me anyway)looked like they had been embalmed---not a fecking flicker of life.
They are new fans? this season ----- shirley the cleaners would notice them an bag em up-------------whats the point:mad:

All the cleaners called Shirley?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Because I live in Ashington and I like to have a drink at the ground after the match.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Exactly the same as you i work up until the last moment....and park in someones driveway at Coldean for a small fee..and arrive at ground at 2.55 normally

Because I live in Ashington and I like to have a drink at the ground after the match.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
I parked in Bridge Car Park for the first and last time last night. The whole experience was a disgrace. To get into the car park, I queued for approx 20 mins from the traffic lights on the main road from about 6.40 pm to 7.00 pm. It wasn't that there were many cars in the queue, it was just that they were not moving. When I finally got to the car park entrance, it became clear why: the elderly man taking the £15 parking fee was fumbling around in the dark for ages to find change to give to each driver as they drove in. So rather than use some common sense and have a stash of fivers in his pocket ready to distribute, he held everything up. When I complained about how long it was taking, he said they weren't expecting the car park to be so full and I should have got there earlier. Having left work at Thurrock at 4.50 pm to get there that was not the answer I was looking for, and I told him so . Also he had run out of tickets so he couldn't give me one. Knwing it would be shambolic trying to exit after the match, i returned to my car at 10.30pm. I sat in my car for 20 mins and decided to wait before trying to exit. I observed that at the bottom of the car park where I was the traffic trying to get out had not moved at all. So after 20 mins I simply drove to the top of the car park and got out in about 4 minutes. As I exited through the narrow tunnel, I felyt sorry for the people still waiting at the bottom of the car park. Sensible stewarding would have eased the problem considerably. I am writing a formal letter of complaint tomorrow to the club.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
At least you got to sit in a warm car. You could have had the lovely experience of the complete turnip head of a driver on the Number 29 from the university stop. I only ever use that service as a last resort - my choice is normally the train from Lewes. However, I heeded Ernest's warning last night. Got to the prison crossroads stop in time for the 1919 bus, only to be informed by the other bloke waiting there that he had run to catch it and it had gone at 1916. Obviously Brighton and Hove Buses feel no need to run to a timetable. So, I had to wait for the 1934, which actually came more or less on time, thankfully finding out that the kick off was delayed.

Coming back was another story altogether. Having just missed the 2152, which was about to leave at 2201 (I was told by the driver it was full), I waited for the 2222. As usual, it didn't arrive until several minutes after its booked time. The driver came to the door and told us that he couldn't take us all, even though the queue was far shorter than usual (most having gone on the previous bus). He started counting everybody and I got on, being near the front. Apparently, one young lad got the hump and swore at the driver, though I didn't hear this. Within a few minutes, he cut the engine and sat stone faced in his cab, and we sat there for 20 minutes, with several of the passengers wanting to go to Uckfield, Crowborough or beyond. Eventually, one of the lads going to Uckfield called his old man, who was a police officer. The next bus turned up and those of us going to Lewes got off the original one, just as the police turned up - no idea what happened then, as we left. Brighton and Hove Buses will have received a large volume of complaints today. I was fuming, as I knew I had a very long day of work ahead of me. I didn't get home till 2340, when it should have been at least half an hour earlier, and I realise I was nowhere near the latest. Sure, I am spoilt by London Buses, but if that's the standard of Brighton and Hove Buses, then you can keep them.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I parked in Bridge Car Park for the first and last time last night. The whole experience was a disgrace. To get into the car park, I queued for approx 20 mins from the traffic lights on the main road from about 6.40 pm to 7.00 pm. It wasn't that there were many cars in the queue, it was just that they were not moving. When I finally got to the car park entrance, it became clear why: the elderly man taking the £15 parking fee was fumbling around in the dark for ages to find change to give to each driver as they drove in. So rather than use some common sense and have a stash of fivers in his pocket ready to distribute, he held everything up. When I complained about how long it was taking, he said they weren't expecting the car park to be so full and I should have got there earlier. Having left work at Thurrock at 4.50 pm to get there that was not the answer I was looking for, and I told him so . Also he had run out of tickets so he couldn't give me one. Knwing it would be shambolic trying to exit after the match, i returned to my car at 10.30pm. I sat in my car for 20 mins and decided to wait before trying to exit. I observed that at the bottom of the car park where I was the traffic trying to get out had not moved at all. So after 20 mins I simply drove to the top of the car park and got out in about 4 minutes. As I exited through the narrow tunnel, I felyt sorry for the people still waiting at the bottom of the car park. Sensible stewarding would have eased the problem considerably. I am writing a formal letter of complaint tomorrow to the club.

I know the bulk of people prepay for the car park but it does amaze me that the staff fumble around for change when they give you a ticket when they're standing next to an open car boot on which they could prepare the change. Just have a wad of fivers and a load of pound coins and you're away.

As for your getaway, I did exactly the same thing, I couldn't believe there were people queuing patiently down the bottom when all you need to do is drive up the top and you're out within minutes.

Where the stewarding is badly required is when cars are funnelling in from 3 or 4 directions to get through the one exit on departure. God knows how there hasn't been a prang at that junction.

There is now one bus a day through Alfold (a weekday only 'service') going to Guildford (dep 09.15) or Cranleigh (dep 13.04). Getting to the Amex via Guildford requires three trains and via Cranleigh I'd need to get another bus and three trains or just (whoopee!) three more buses and route via Henfield; there's then the difficult decision about at which bus/train station should I spend the night? The nearest train station is Billingshurst (only a six mile walk) but I'd end up at either Horsham or Barnham station for the night.
On Saturdays I could walk to Cranleigh (4.5 miles) but the 'three bus' option would leave me stranded in Brighton. By train I'd finish up at Billingshurst (eventually).

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I'm not sure how but I found the bridge car park fine last night, we left dead on the final whistle, granted we sit right by the entrance so are out very quick but we walked back to the bridge car park at a fairly quick walking pace and wa sin the car and out of the car park in about 10 minutes no drama at all.

The problem with the car park is the cars have to contend with pedestrians also piling through the narrow exit tunnel as well which slows the cars getting out until the rush of people has died down. Its a shame that there isn't an alternative way through for pedestrians as this would make the getaway much easier.

The stewards never use common sense and let groups of pedestrians though and then stop them to allow cars through and vice versa and just let everyone go as a free for all. if they managed that better it would work so much better.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

Because there are no trains within 3 miles of where you live for instance.
And buses take way too long to get home with and you have to queue for them in the cold/wind/rain.
In the car when you are queuing you can have the heater/radio on and you get home a lot quicker.

Why on earth would you want to travel by train/bus when you got a car?

Mew

Aug 16, 2011
Why doesn't north stand chat collectively do something to sort the problem? Granted you can't change the way in as the club are charging for it but nothing to stop setting up some organisation on the way out. If one guy on his own can ease the congestion, why not get it organised then show the club how to do it?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Why doesn't north stand chat collectively do something to sort the problem? Granted you can't change the way in as the club are charging for it but nothing to stop setting up some organisation on the way out. If one guy on his own can ease the congestion, why not get it organised then show the club how to do it?

Generally speaking, if I and hundreds of others were paying £15 apiece to park a car for two hours, I would expect the people charging that extortionate rate to do that bit of the f****** job themselves.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Mill Road Park and Ride (which was a bit of a shambles on the way in, but on the way out, I left the stadium on 90 minutes, queued for bus, got on bus and back to the car and on my way back westwards on the A27 within 25 minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here