Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Briatore quits F1 over Piquet crash

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I would like to see a heavy punishment for this. I doubt that they will get chucked out, they will sight in their defence that the actions of 2 people shouldn't affect the jobs of a further 700 renault F1 employees.

I'm still not convinced Piquet will ever find another drive however.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I'm still not convinced Piquet will ever find another drive however.

Me neither, because (1) no-one likes a grass and (2) he may have been told to crash this one time but the other 26 times were down to him being plain shit.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Effectively an admission of guilt from Renault then. They devised a "crash strategy" to enable Alonso to win. Briatore and Symonds should consider themselves fortunate that Piquet wasn't seriously injured or worse, or its not just the FIA they'd be answering to. As for Piquet - thats his F1 career over now, for sure.

What a shower of SHIT Formula 1 is nowadays.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
So who do they DQ Alonso now then, and if so who actually won the race?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

They probably will. Fortunately even if Alonso were disqualified it would not affect the outcome of last year's chamionship - Lewis Hamilton would have won by 3 clear points rather than a single point.

If this had affected the outcome of the championship, in my opinion, it would have bought the sport into disrepute. In fact, it would actually have totally ruined the legitimacy of the sport.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Prsumably Alonso will "deny all knowledge" of this scheme, and there'll be no evidence directly linking him with being in the know about it, so the result will stand.

Massa is probably a bit pissed off though to say the least, being as he lost the championship by a point. I think Hamilton came 3rd in that race, with Massa finishing well down the field after getting caught up in all the safety car malarky.

What a shower of SHIT Formula 1 is nowadays.

Too true. They make the rules up as they go along and are an incestuous bunch of pr**ks.

What I've just noticed on the Beeb is Webber being asked if he would ever do such a thing and he didn't say no. "it would take an awful lot of money for me to do that" when the bloke is already a multi millionaire.

TOSSERS all of them :angry:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If this had affected the outcome of the championship, in my opinion, it would have bought the sport into disrepute. In fact, it would actually have totally ruined the legitimacy of the sport.

I think that ship has already sailed mate.
F1 is a joke.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
would it be harsh to suggest Piquet should be banned too for deliberat dangerous driving?

He might trust his judgment to have clipped the wall and spin out, but what if the following driver had damage to the car which cause them to crash, or had say a piece of debris hit them on the head? would you want to race on the same circuit as Piquet?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
If Piquet is immune from prosecution then that's plain wrong. By his actions he endangered the lives of spectators and stewards. What's more, if anyone had been killed or seriously injured, he would (presumably) have told any enquiry that it was an accident. Irrespective of whether or not anyone would want to employ him he should be banned from driving a race car for life.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What I've just noticed on the Beeb is Webber being asked if he would ever do such a thing and he didn't say no. "it would take an awful lot of money for me to do that" when the bloke is already a multi millionaire.

I think I saw that interview "live" in the paddock on Sunday. I thought Webber said "it would take an awful lot for me to do that" (not mentioning money as such, perhaps just alluding to team politics/certain circumstances), but it struck me as an odd response at the time when I saw it.

DID he actually mention money then ?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Double whammy for Renault as their car sales in Brazil have dropped considerably since the Piquet affair.

1 thing which puzzles me. In the light of all what has happened, if the FIA has access to the radio traffic...how did they miss it 1st time around? Is it a case of they can't monitor all the radio traffic all of the time?

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
I think I saw that interview "live" in the paddock on Sunday. I thought Webber said "it would take an awful lot for me to do that" (not mentioning money as such, perhaps just alluding to team politics/certain circumstances), but it struck me as an odd response at the time when I saw it.

DID he actually mention money then ?

That's how I heard it as well. Not saying that Webber is a mate of mine or anything but he chats to my brother in law a bit and he is a very straight bloke. Ask him a direct question you get a direct answer. The obvious answer to the above question would be to bat it away like a politician but being an Aussie and all, he doesn't seem to think like that.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
It's not uncommon for them to use codewords during radio transmissions but to have for for "please deliberately crash into the wall" is a bit of a stretch.

I hope to god FIA still impose sanctions if Renault are found guilty, despite two people Piquet said were responsible have now left the team. Just because they have left shouldn't leave the team immune.

Re Webber - apologies if I misunderstood his comments but it would have been better for him to say he would have nothing to do with things like this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here