Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Briatore quits F1 over Piquet crash

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
another nail in the coffin for F1, too much politics and controversy for whats supposed to be the "Pinnacle" of motor racing.
The sooner Ecclestone & Mosely f*** off the better for everyone concerned.

Withnail

Jan 16, 2004
Lincoln
Renault have admitted they are guilty. Is that the end of them now?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
The Renault Formula One team issued the following press release on Wednesday:

The ING Renault F1 Team will not dispute the recent allegations made by the FIA concerning the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix.

It also wishes to state that its managing director, Flavio Briatore and its executive director of engineering, Pat Symonds, have left the team.

Before attending the hearing before the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Paris on 21 September 2009, the team will not make any further comment.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I thought Briatore and Bernie were mates? What with Max Mosley, Ron Dennis and now Briatore leaving the scene it's all change.

What a soap opera this season has been...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can he now be considered unfit to run a football club?? Hope so but doubt it

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
absolutely - I somehow doubt that Briatore orchestrated the whole thing himself whilst the rest of the team were competely unaware.

Its 100% apparent that Symonds was part of it, as was Piquet. The transcripts of the team radio make that very clear. They were offered immunity to turn Briatore in, though.

From the transcripts it does seem as though the rest of the team were actually in the dark*. [* ..not sure about ALonso, mind]

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
bizarrely I find it amusing and somewhat confusing. Is there a rule that says that you cannot crash the car deliberately? yes it's morally wrong, and dangerous, but does it actually contravene any rules/laws?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
bizarrely I find it amusing and somewhat confusing. Is there a rule that says that you cannot crash the car deliberately? yes it's morally wrong, and dangerous, but does it actually contravene any rules/laws?

His deliberate crash gave an unfair advantage to his team mate so you could argue its the same as taking another driver out.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London

I think there's a rule saying you're not allowed to do anything either purposefully or through negligence that puts the safety of drivers, spectators or anyone else at greater risk than you normally get driving round at 200mph.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Its 100% apparent that Symonds was part of it, as was Piquet. The transcripts of the team radio make that very clear. They were offered immunity to turn Briatore in, though.

From the transcripts it does seem as though the rest of the team were actually in the dark*. [* ..not sure about ALonso, mind]

Can we find these transcripts anywhere?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here