Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brian Bromley is it true?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Afraid not, Mel Hopkins and (the) Bobby Smith both died in late 2010.

And Derek Leck died last summer.

Sad about Brian Bromley though - he was a fabulous player in that promotion season.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
He wasn't with us that long (the A-Z states 55aps & 3 goals) but he had a tremendous influence on that promotion season. Indeed, that book reminds me that he was made captain during the run in, not bad for a new player.

As for 'that' goal, from what I recall it was a murky day and Tranmere were stubborn opposition but BB took the ball from his own half on a long run before smashing past the robust Tommy Lawrence, a formerkeeper for Shankley's Liverpool.

Bromley also had the bushiest sideburns since Engleburt Humperdinct!

Unfortunatly Albion, and Bromley, had a mare the following season, but thanks for the memories.

Remember that game and goal clearly FG, I was a regular in the North Stand with my mates at that time. Still remember the song we sang for him that season to the tune of Mcnamaras band,

His name is Brian Bromley he's the leader of the team
What team?
The greatest football team that the world has ever seen
You've never seen anything like them in present or in past
And as for Aston Villa you can stick them up your arse
La la la laaaaa
la la la la....la

Happy days
RIP Brian

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Just heard the news and saddened by it. As stated previously, he was a driving force in midfield in that tremendous promotion winning season under Pat Saward. That goal against Tranmere was just one of those ' special ' moments you always remember.
RIP Brian.

Bolton don't realise he played for us. From their official website:

Bolton Wanderers are saddened to have learned that former player Brian Bromley passed away on Friday 9 March, aged 65 years.

The inside-forward represented the Whites between 1963 and 1968 having made his debut against Sheffield United as a 16-year-old.

In total, he appeared 184 times in all competitions for Bolton, scoring 26 goals.

In November 1968, the former England youth international moved to Portsmouth for a fee of £25,000.

Brian also represented Reading, Darlington and Wigan before ending his playing days with non-league Waterlooville.

0,,1004~10596368,00.jpg

It would appear that alcohol played a part in his demise. From the Fratton Faithful forum, Brummiebluenose writes:

He did become a publican but certainly hasn't run a pub in the dozen or so years that I've been in Portchester.

Was a regular in most of the local pubs round here, mostly sitting quietly with a pint and watching footy on the tele.

He worked part time as a barman in the Portchester social club in recent years, but sadly did drink an awful lot.

I don't know all of the details of his untimely death, but he was very "Yellow" last week - draw your own conclusions.

He was a gentleman though - always polite and never (in my company) claimed to know more about football than anyone else, though he certainly had a few good "contacts".

A nice bloke!

Last edited:

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
Just seen this and agree with the sentiments above. He was a massive part of the great 71/2 promotion and had a great partnership in midfield with John Templeman.

I saw the Tranmere goal from the chicken run and thought at the time that he had just hit it and hoped. But he said in interview afterwards that he saw Lawrence off his line and deliberately hit it over him. Class!

RIP Brian

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
Last night,according to my Pompey friends,there was a tribute to Brian Bromley last night coupled with the clapping for Fabrice Muamba prior to the start of the Birmingham game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here