Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's good (if unsurprising) that your daughter has found herself a part-time job.

I'm sure the £50 a week (plus tips) she's earning right now, will absolutely balance out the lack of proper long-term career opportunities resulting from the inevitable economic downturn we're heading for, and also entirely make up for the loss of her birth-right - of freedom to live and pursue her chosen career in 27 EU states.

I'm sure she's very grateful to you.

Waiting, bar work etc have always been part time, non career building, student type jobs so not sure what the "proper long-term career opportunities" has to do with it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So basically your problem was that bars wanted to hire staff who would be around for a while rather than turn up for a few months then bugger off again, including missing out around the busy times (e.g. Christmas)?

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
How could I answer your question ? If you don't know the answer how would I ? It's a mystery,

Because you voted for it.
Were you not just moaning about brexiteers being described as thick?
Voting on something that will have have a massive effect on the country and not considering the implications of it seems a bit thick to me.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Waiting, bar work etc have always been part time, non career building, student type jobs so not sure what the "proper long-term career opportunities" has to do with it.

The point being made was that being able to find a part time job is great but is it better than joining the workforce at a time with a strong economy is better than a weak one?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
So basically your problem was that bars wanted to hire staff who would be around for a while rather than turn up for a few months then bugger off again, including missing out around the busy times (e.g. Christmas)?

Usually your posts are at least fairly intelligent and logical ( even if I disagree with them ) ..... this one is just assumption and no knowledge. Miss W is a local ( B&H born and bred ) and LIVING in the city all of the time. Why would she not be here at busy times ? :facepalm: #stupidleaversymdrome

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
This reminds me of [MENTION=17469]melias shoes[/MENTION], who said his job was threatened by EU immigrants but in the previous post said they were all unqualified, uneducated and couldn’t speak English. Someone replied and suggested he needed to up his game if he felt threatened by this lot. :lolol:

Anyway. I’m not suggesting this is the case with Miss WS; I wouldn’t have an issue with her serving me my rabbit croquettes.

My job has never been threatened I'm too good at it. I said some were unqualified at it. Not all and I think I've mentioned that I have some good friends from eastern Europe especially a father and son from Lithuania. I think I also said that it was one of the reasons that our money was being kept down. As for uneducated I can't recall saying that but I'm sure someone will enlighten me if I did. Up steps Watford chap.
I also recall You saying that keeping our money down that you don't like a race to the bottom or words to that affect. None of what I said was in a derogatory manner merely pointing out what I see.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Each to their own, but personally I would prioritise my kids long term career opportunities over the part-time crappy jobs they did to pay for their fun at College and Uni :shrug:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My job has never been threatened I'm too good at it. I said some were unqualified at it. Not all and I think I've mentioned that I have some good friends from eastern Europe especially a father and son from Lithuania. I think I also said that it was one of the reasons that our money was being kept down. As for uneducated I can't recall saying that but I'm sure someone will enlighten me if I did. Up steps Watford chap.
I also recall You saying that keeping our money down that you don't like a race to the bottom or words to that affect. None of what I said was in a derogatory manner merely pointing out what I see.

To be fair, if I remember rightly, you said that foreign workers were unskilled, lazy and did far less work than the locals. I don't remember you calling them uneducated.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Each to their own, but personally I would prioritise my kids long term career opportunities over the part-time crappy jobs they did to pay for their fun at College and Uni :shrug:

Why can't both be important ? The former can help people get the latter.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I made a few replies on this and said I have a few friends that are Polish and eastern European. :wink:

Bernard Manning had a Pakistani accountant :thumbsup:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Usually your posts are at least fairly intelligent and logical ( even if I disagree with them ) ..... this one is just assumption and no knowledge. Miss W is a local ( B&H born and bred ) and LIVING in the city all of the time. Why would she not be here at busy times ? :facepalm: #stupidleaversymdrome

The assumption was that the bars etc. have employed European people instead of students, surely even you aren't going to argue that the vast majority of students at Sussex are not locals? So why would they employ students who may or may not be local rather than a European who is local and will work there all year round?

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This is such a British attitude to the profession.

One positive effect of the hipster / artisan scene is that areas of work such as Barista, waiting, bar work, street food etc have had something of an image change and a lot of people quite rightly now see the art and value in such roles.

Unfortunately there will always be a sector of society who view the hard working people who fill these roles as some kind of underclass, put on this earth to quietly serve them and do their bidding for minimum wage.

And that ignorant attitude isn’t confined to the upper classes. Plenty of the working and middle class “I’ve had the steak, she’s had the prawns” mob are happy to treat people who work in service industries as serfs who deserve nothing but contempt.

As regards the argument that foreigners keep wages down, a progressive government would tackle the British employers who pay these low wages, not foreigners who are employed by them.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Well according to remainers I don't know what I voted for so how on earth would I know how the deal that is agreed resembles 'what I voted for' ?

Fair enough. I cant speak for all, but when I say you didn't know what you were voting for, I don't mean you didn't know what you wanted, just that you couldn't know what you would get. I was interested in how close you think it will be to what you wanted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here