Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Plenty of the team EU regulars on here.

The government and the EU have come up with a deal, it has been rejected by parliament (by MP's on all sides) despite the EU repeatedly saying it's the only deal on offer. Parliament came up with numerous options, Bercow picked his favourites but they all failed to get a majority. The government, ERG, Labour, Lib Dems, SNP, DUP, second referendum supporters and all the other factions all voted for their favoured options for numerous partisan reasons.

They have collectively failed to deliver they are all at fault.

It's almost like there is no majority in parliament or the electorate (or anywhere else) for any single leave option. Well, who could have seen that coming :facepalm:

Oh well, look on the bright side, you won and got exactly what you voted for :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Plenty of the team EU regulars on here.

The government and the EU have come up with a deal, it has been rejected by parliament (by MP's on all sides) despite the EU repeatedly saying it's the only deal on offer. Parliament came up with numerous options, Bercow picked his favourites but they all failed to get a majority. The government, ERG, Labour, Lib Dems, SNP, DUP, second referendum supporters and all the other factions all voted for their favoured options for numerous partisan reasons.

They have collectively failed to deliver they are all at fault.

So with no workable majority and needing to get into bed with the DUP to even form a 'strong and stable' government, knowing full well she was up against the ERG faction within her own party, the government had no responsibility to seek any form of concensus for what deal to negotiate with the EU back in 2017. You conveniently forget it was May who set up her own red lines for those negotiations, not the EU, and the EU came up with the only deal that fitted with those red lines.

You must be so partisan in your support for the Tories that you cannot see they take the lion's share of the blame.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Basically the EU saying you can have Brexit, exactly fulfilling the referendum result if you remain in a customs union. Something Parliament supported more than May's deal.

So remind me who is thwarting Brexit again?

Yes, that is leave. Similar to Norway, or Switzerland, or both? No one considers them as EU states. Then after a while we could decide to leave that or reintegrate. Seems very sensible. Only loonies would argue the opposite

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
So with no workable majority and needing to get into bed with the DUP to even form a 'strong and stable' government, knowing full well she was up against the ERG faction within her own party, the government had no responsibility to seek any form of concensus for what deal to negotiate with the EU back in 2017. You conveniently forget it was May who set up her own red lines for those negotiations, not the EU, and the EU came up with the only deal that fitted with those red lines.

You must be so partisan in your support for the Tories that you cannot see they take the lion's share of the blame.

May had consensus in her party when she set out the red lines it was only when she began to diverge from them the trouble started.

I have repeatedly blamed the May government for mishandling the negotiations especially as it gave the remain forces within parliament more of a chance to undermine/reverse the referendum result.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It's almost like there is no majority in parliament or the electorate (or anywhere else) for any single leave option. Well, who could have seen that coming :facepalm:

Oh well, look on the bright side, you won and got exactly what you voted for :thumbsup:

Someone who knew that May would call an election with a slim Tory majority then knew she would lose that majority despite having a 20+ point opinion poll lead, running against a divided, shambolic opposition, with a terrible leader ... so no one.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
May had consensus in her party when she set out the red lines it was only when she began to diverge from them the trouble started.

I have repeatedly blamed the May government for mishandling the negotiations especially as it gave the remain forces within parliament more of a chance to undermine/reverse the referendum result.

Let's be fair, I can only think of one group that you haven't repeatedly blamed for the outcome of the result of the referendum ???

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Someone who knew that May would call an election with a slim Tory majority then knew she would lose that majority despite having a 20+ point opinion poll lead, running against a divided, shambolic opposition, with a terrible leader ... so no one.

Or alternatively, anyone who gave it a little thought prior to the referendum and realised that the word 'Leave' was just an emotive phrase with no detail or definition. They may then have spotted that taking the result 'Leave' and trying to plan and implement a simple emotive phrase could prove a little problematic.

But luckily, I understand that everyone knew exactly what they were voting for ???

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Varadkar seems very positive this evening, almost too positive...
Which, by definition, means Arlene will hate it.

Has the letter from labour MPs given Johnson enough votes to throw the DUP under the bus ?

A customs union for NI-only seems more likely tonight ?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Has the letter from labour MPs given Johnson enough votes to throw the DUP under the bus ?

Labour MP's need to be very careful about throwing NI under a bus, it won't end well

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

I think I'm more skeptical.

I think it suits both parties to say that they think a deal is on the cards, so that when it doesn't happen they can blame the otherside. Given the UKs recent stance on prematurely laying blame on the EU/Ireland I wonder if Ireland are looking for an opportunity to place this back in the UKs camp.

Also there is the potential the Johnson is stringing Ireland/the EU along with the idea that a deal is possible to keep the idea alive for as long possible to avoid asking for an extension.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

I think it suits both parties to say that they think a deal is on the cards, so that when it doesn't happen they can blame the otherside. Given the UKs recent stance on prematurely laying blame on the EU/Ireland I wonder if Ireland are looking for an opportunity to place this back in the UKs camp.

Also there is the potential the Johnson is stringing Ireland/the EU along with the idea that a deal is possible to keep the idea alive for as long possible to avoid asking for an extension.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed eh, it would be really irritating if Johnson somehow got a deal over the line.....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

theres also the potential Johnson wants a deal, best outcome for him going into an election.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
theres also the potential Johnson wants a deal, best outcome for him going into an election.

I sure Johnson does want a deal, this would make him very popular; he knows this.

Is a deal that is acceptable with both the EU and the ERG/the DUP possible though?

I can't help but think that this evenings optimism, primarily from Varadkar, is only political.

We shall see!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I smell a NI only customs union, rumours of this seem rife all over FB.

Strongest rise in GBP in 7 months

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here