Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Ok, sorry shouldnt have started my post with 'you still dont get it' , blame your mate Lincolm Imp he got me mad :)

yep enjoy the day ......

Well I'm sorry I got you cross but my point was actually a general one - that portraying the situation of it being 'us versus the rest of Europe and everyone's got it in for us' is just wrong; a standard and heavily-used tabloid technique to wind people up.

If you don't think that way, then great - I'm sorry I misinterpreted your post. Anyway, off to the Amex shortly (and I won't be quiet there either).

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Well I'm sorry I got you cross but my point was actually a general one - that portraying the situation of it being 'us versus the rest of Europe and everyone's got it in for us' is just wrong; a standard and heavily-used tabloid technique to wind people up.

If you don't think that way, then great - I'm sorry I misinterpreted your post. Anyway, off to the Amex shortly (and I won't be quiet there either).

Why dont you lend that same logic beyond the borders of the EU, the EU seem to want to be/is a powerful political and trading bloc, how is it the Remainers are saying we will be punished for no longer being within the EU, why would the EU make that stance, of them against us ?

Where have you read from me that Europe has got it in for us, you seem unable to grasp the concept of working with them, being partners and neighbours but we needn't be carralled into a rigid burgeoning political members club and paying billions for that priviliged, ultimately the refrendum was clear the majority of those that voted didnt want to either ??

Last edited:

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I think the whole concept of the EU is ok but it seems to fall down because the people in power don't seem to be like the average normal member of society. Also many European countries have such different cultures that it lends itself to people not necessarily abiding by the rules laid down. For example when in places like Portugal you still see tradesman hanging off ladders without a scaffold pole in sight. Try that in the UK and you are likely to be incarcerated for decades or fined your lifetimes earnings by health and safety.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
With respect, that comment suggests you have a persecution complex. It is not us against the rest. No one is ganging up on us. It's not millions of nasty foreigners wanting to do us sturdy Brits down. Such talk is the fuel of xenophobia.

*Health warning. I am not suggesting Britain has 17 million xenophobes.
You were doing OK until you tried to compare the view that SOME who disagreed with certain views are xenophobic. Take on the views not justify the opposing views under a tag.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Why dont you lend that same logic beyond the borders of the EU, the EU seem to want to be/is a powerful political and trading bloc, how is it the Remainers are saying we will be punished for no longer being within the EU, why would the EU make that stance, of them against us ?

Where have you read from me that Europe has got it in for us, you seem unable to grasp the concept of working with them, being partners and neighbours but we needn't be carralled into a rigid burgeoning political members club and paying billions for that priviliged, ultimately the refrendum was clear the majority of those that voted didnt want to either ??

Interesting post, which misses the point I made in the one you were responding to. My point was that for people to claim - wrongly - that it's 'the UK versus everyone else' is an enduring technique used by the anti-EU tabloids. Just that. Nothing else. You'll note that I accepted that you don't think that way. I've no idea what led you to make the points about punishments and partnerships and billion pound payments in your first and second paragraphs - it certainly wasn't my post.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Interesting post, which misses the point I made in the one you were responding to. My point was that for people to claim - wrongly - that it's 'the UK versus everyone else' is an enduring technique used by the anti-EU tabloids. Just that. Nothing else. You'll note that I accepted that you don't think that way. I've no idea what led you to make the points about punishments and partnerships and billion pound payments in your first and second paragraphs - it certainly wasn't my post.

Big Gully, missing the point?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
With respect, that comment suggests you have a persecution complex. It is not us against the rest. No one is ganging up on us. It's not millions of nasty foreigners wanting to do us sturdy Brits down. Such talk is the fuel of xenophobia.

*Health warning. I am not suggesting Britain has 17 million xenophobes.

I thought it was a Remain campaign narrative, often repeated on NSC that it will be us against the rest as the mighty EU seeks to punish us to deter further splitters ....

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I thought it was a Remain campaign narrative, often repeated on NSC that it will be us against the rest as the mighty EU seeks to punish us to deter further splitters ....

Precisely, he seems to be tripping over his own logic, it is the Remainers that suggest that the UK's global position and influence will be adversely effected and weakened on leaving, whilst he proclaims staying inside the EU will allow us to effectively posture and influence against others.

By default his preferred position is one of perceived power and influence, which in essence is exactly the 'them and us' scenario he now somehow condemns.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
You thought that? Just shows how wrong you can be.

The Foreign Secretary (Hammond, on the run up to the referendum) has warned Britain will be punished by the European Union for leaving because other countries will not want to see it "succeed" alone.

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-02-14/public-pessimistic-about-pms-eu-deal-survey-shows/

House of Lords warned EU will punish UK if it votes for Brexit

https://www.euractiv.com/section/uk...ned-eu-will-punish-uk-if-it-votes-for-brexit/

UK should be punished if it leaves EU to deter other exits

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...it-leaves-european-union-to-deter-other-exits

..president of the European Commission has warned British voters ahead of next month’s referendum on EU membership that “deserters will not be welcomed back with open arms”.

https://www.ft.com/content/5a40e4c0-1e6e-11e6-b286-cddde55ca122

Possible memory failure due to excessive celebrating after yesterday's goalfest?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The Foreign Secretary (Hammond, on the run up to the referendum) has warned Britain will be punished by the European Union for leaving because other countries will not want to see it "succeed" alone.

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-02-14/public-pessimistic-about-pms-eu-deal-survey-shows/

House of Lords warned EU will punish UK if it votes for Brexit

https://www.euractiv.com/section/uk...ned-eu-will-punish-uk-if-it-votes-for-brexit/

UK should be punished if it leaves EU to deter other exits

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...it-leaves-european-union-to-deter-other-exits

..president of the European Commission has warned British voters ahead of next month’s referendum on EU membership that “deserters will not be welcomed back with open arms”.

https://www.ft.com/content/5a40e4c0-1e6e-11e6-b286-cddde55ca122

Possible memory failure due to excessive celebrating after yesterday's goalfest?

That must have taken you as long to put together as it took me to walk up Wolstenbury Hill this afternoon but I am afraid you are all missing my point. Why you've put together a raft of links highlighting that the EU will be tough and vitriolic negotiating opponents for a Brexitting UK I have no idea. Unlike the many Leavers who said the EU would be a pussy if we left I always thought the organisation would come after us. Never said otherwise. The simple point I was making is that the Europhobes of UKIP and the tabloids have invariably tried to present the UK's membership of the Union as being a case of the United Kingdom fighting the other 27. One against the rest. It's an old propaganda stunt for cranking up the troops.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The simple point I was making is that the Europhobes of UKIP and the tabloids have invariably tried to present the UK's membership of the Union as being a case of the United Kingdom fighting the other 27. One against the rest. It's an old propaganda stunt for cranking up the troops.

I don't think this was the case, i think most who voted to Leave saw it as Germany and France against the other 26 nations.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't think this was the case, i think most who voted to Leave saw it as Germany and France against the other 26 nations.

Out of interest what makes you think this of 17 million voters?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here