Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
And I never said he did. He stated "The fact is a LARGER proportion" - therefore to get this dubous "fact" you would need to ask enough people to get the required 8,700,001 people which would then make the proportion who are not net contibuters to the economy as per his stated FACT.

The age and socio-economic make-up of every part of the country is known. The way every part of the country voted is known. By plotting the two known facts together in a sophisticated way independent academics far cleverer than me, with far bigger computers than I will ever own, can establish the way different sections of society voted. For example, they know that there was a gender balance. They know that higher rate taxpayers TENDED to vote Remain. And they know that retired people, who TEND to pay less tax than younger ones, tended to vote Leave.

You don't actually have to ask everybody personally.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Not as thick as you though if you can't grasp that the B-right-on was responding to the person who claimed that most leave voters weren't net contributors , hence B-right-on mentioning that both him and his wife are in he 40% tax bracket, not just that he "had a job".

Oh lordy. He didn't claim that most leave voters weren't net contributors. Read it again.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Most/greater proportion, not a lot of difference is there ?

I should really let your interlocutor deal with this but there is a misunderstanding going on. He said that a greater proportion of Leave voters (than of Remain voters, obviously) were not net tax contributors. He did NOT say that most Leave voters don't pay tax, which is what you inferred.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I should really let your interlocutor deal with this but there is a misunderstanding going on. He said that a greater proportion of Leave voters (than of Remain voters, obviously) were not net tax contributors. He did NOT say that most Leave voters don't pay tax, which is what you inferred.

Yes it will largely be left to the remainers to support the country through what is looking like a rocky period in our history. More than anything I hope we still have a United Kingdom at the end of it, there's a lot at stake

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Yes it will largely be left to the remainers to support the country through what is looking like a rocky period in our history. More than anything I hope we still have a United Kingdom at the end of it, there's a lot at stake

Why will it be "largely be left to the remainers to support the country", please tell me

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Correct, just proves you all backed the loser in this case.

Absolutely - agree with you all the way. And that was my very point - people shouldn't try to use an individual example or anecdote to prove a wider truth. It doesn't work.

(For what it's worth, my family has a fantastic record in voting for losing candidates - and even parties in my case - in general elections.)

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
The age and socio-economic make-up of every part of the country is known. The way every part of the country voted is known. By plotting the two known facts together in a sophisticated way independent academics far cleverer than me, with far bigger computers than I will ever own, can establish the way different sections of society voted. For example, they know that there was a gender balance. They know that higher rate taxpayers TENDED to vote Remain. And they know that retired people, who TEND to pay less tax than younger ones, tended to vote Leave.

You don't actually have to ask everybody personally.

What a total and utter load of cr@p. He stated as a FACT that the greater proportion of Leave voters were not net controbutors. There was 17.4 million Leave voters. That means there was 8,700,001 or more (hence "greater proportion") of those 17.4 million who were are not net contributors to this society.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

What a load of sore loser bo##ocks. We will be in for a rocky period if we have bank fiasco part 2

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I didnt infer that at all, thats why i said not net contributors , instead of saying they dont pay tax, its simple really, and you either knew that and are wriggling, or youre very stupid, its definitely one of the two.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not as thick as you though if you can't grasp that the B-right-on was responding to the person who claimed that most leave voters weren't net contributors , hence B-right-on mentioning that both him and his wife are in he 40% tax bracket, not just that he "had a job".

It seems you have missed what was actually posted as well, no such claim was made.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You can cling on to whatever ideas you like but in my family too, we all work and we all voted leave except for one 18 yr old who wasn't sure and on the day, voted to remain. We include two graduates from Oxbridge and another family member who is a MENSA member, not thick by any stretch and all working and contributing to the economy.

And no, we are not bigots or racists either.

Well done you, but nothing I have said or nicko31 said in his post, is challenged by that.
Out of interest, what was it that got you to cast your vote to leave?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not all, Not most, infact i said a "greater proportion". There will be 40% dual income householders that voted out, though till today I'd never come across one...

look at the polling breakdown from said experts with data and computer (probably some flaws in the data gathering but this is the best we probably have). look at AB, thats "higher" and "intermediate" managment and professional, these are likely to be high earners - 43% are leavers. look at C1, "junior" managers, professionals, most likely degree educated these days and many will be high earners in some industries - 51% leavers. So what we have is a substantial minority of higher rate tax payers voting to leave. so if you dont know any high earning leave voters, you dont know many.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here