Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Plans to allow the United Kingdom an exemption from EU rules on freedom of movement for up to seven years while retaining access to the single market are being considered in European capitals as part of a potential deal on Brexit.

Senior British and EU sources have confirmed that despite strong initial resistance from French president François Hollande in talks with prime minister Theresa May last week, the idea of an emergency brake on the free movement of people that would go far further than the one David Cameron negotiated before the Brexit referendum is being examined.

If such an agreement were struck, and a strict time limit imposed, diplomats believe it could go a long way towards addressing concerns of the British people over immigration from EU states, while allowing the UK full trade access to the European market.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/24/brexit-deal-free-movement-exemption-seven-years

Interesting developments. Is this a last ditch attempt to keep us in the club as a semi detached member?

Also interesting that after being told continually that we can only have 'access' to the single market if we agree to free movement it appears the EU may in reality have a more pragmatic approach. Not sure what would happen after a 7- 10 year period though.

The devils will be in the detail but good news if we can retain a foothold in the single market. The Ultras won't like it if it's true though - they have said that they will fight any attempt to establish a Brexit-lite. IDS is claiming that a couple of dozen Tory MPs will resist and that could be enough to force a vote of confidence when the time came. Is it possible that she could be supported by enough members of the PLP to win it? I don't know. If she didn't there would be an election and I guess she would win that. Either way, interesting times.

I've got a view about what should happen at the end of the seven year period but I've had a nice day and I really don't want to be called a cretin by another Albion fan right now so I'll shut up.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
This looks like good news, hope it happens.

The devils will be in the detail but good news if we can retain a foothold in the single market. The Ultras won't like it if it's true though - they have said that they will fight any attempt to establish a Brexit-lite. IDS is claiming that a couple of dozen Tory MPs will resist and that could be enough to force a vote of confidence when the time came. Is it possible that she could be supported by enough members of the PLP to win it? I don't know. If she didn't there would be an election and I guess she would win that. Either way, interesting times.

I've got a view about what should happen at the end of the seven year period but I've had a nice day and I really don't want to be called a cretin by another Albion fan right now so I'll shut up.

Not exactly sure what the supposed offers really mean and considering the paper that is reporting it and you two Remainers consider it good news .. is perhaps worrying?

It would make a pleasant change to hear views on our future rather than rehashing /point scoring over the past.

I forgot to add playing the victim to the list ... oops there's that tedious point scoring slipping out again :angel:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Not exactly sure what the supposed offers really mean and considering the paper that is reporting it and you two Remainers consider it good news .. is perhaps worrying?

It would make a pleasant change to hear views on our future rather than rehashing /point scoring over the past.

I forgot to add playing the victim to the list ... oops there's that tedious point scoring slipping out again :angel:

If your tedious point-scoring is slipping out only occasionally then that is a real advance in my book!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
what you have not said is what sort of time frame you believe Turkey will join the EU within, given the phrase "Turkey are set to join the E.U." and what you know of the stage of the process they are at and conditions they must meet to have a chance of being accepted by the other members, including Greece.

You are right I havnt
What would be the point? It doesn’t change anything?

Most people seem to have moved on and are now discussing Britain's best options in the negotiated exit,
I dont see the point in debating old issues or debating why either side did this or that pre referendum.

If you want answers to questions there was a huge thread that discussed nearly every topic in length prior to the vote 984 pages
http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showt...please-keep-it-all-here)&highlight=referendum

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Plans to allow the United Kingdom an exemption from EU rules on freedom of movement for up to seven years while retaining access to the single market are being considered in European capitals as part of a potential deal on Brexit.

Senior British and EU sources have confirmed that despite strong initial resistance from French president François Hollande in talks with prime minister Theresa May last week, the idea of an emergency brake on the free movement of people that would go far further than the one David Cameron negotiated before the Brexit referendum is being examined.

If such an agreement were struck, and a strict time limit imposed, diplomats believe it could go a long way towards addressing concerns of the British people over immigration from EU states, while allowing the UK full trade access to the European market.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/24/brexit-deal-free-movement-exemption-seven-years

Interesting developments. Is this a last ditch attempt to keep us in the club as a semi detached member?

Also interesting that after being told continually that we can only have 'access' to the single market if we agree to free movement it appears the EU may in reality have a more pragmatic approach. Not sure what would happen after a 7- 10 year period though.

Its a somewhat strange article.
We are lead to believe there is absolutely no way The EU will negotiate on free movement and now they are willing to hand out deals........has someone from the EU let it slip their stance is not solid?
One thing people are forgetting in this whole process and is one of the reasons why we are in no rush to to invoke article 50 and show our hand,we can simply sit back and watch how the EU deal with Switzerland.
They must put into place their referendum decision to stop free movement and have quotas by feb 2017. Their negotiations were frozen whilst we had our referendum so their would be no influence. Both sides are at loggerheads yet the Swiss feel they now have the upper hand because of how we voted.
The Swiss situation will be sorted long before brexit is concluded........there are cards all over the table and we are yet to see the flop.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Fair enough if that's your view, although people are still discussing the details of the build-up to the First World War 100 years later so I'd say it's reasonable to discuss the tactics of the Leave campaign a month after the vote, and before its effects have been ratified.

I think this illustrates quite well that many Brexit voters simply do not realise the significance of what they have done. It seems they got conned by the simplification of the implications by the leave campaign. Leaving the EU doesn't simply mean saving money and preventing foreigners from coming here.
I hear so many calls for "just get it done now, come on, it'll be easier"

It'll take about 8 years to get fully out and billions in lawyers fees (legal procedure is always dragged out). 8 years of political turmoil could throw up any change. 8 years in politics is a loooooooong time.
I really wouldn't get your hopes up for the end result you're desperate for, Brexiters.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
what the end result that we are leaving the EU? we voted to leave the EU and we will leave the EU
what end result have you imagined?

I'm 90% sure we will leave. I'm 100% sure the end result of our exit will be almost nothing like most Brexiteers hope for or expect. Many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Word to the wise: If Brexit has taught us anything it's that you shouldn't assume "everyone knows" or that things are too obvious ;-)

well said......yep precisely what we have been trying to explain page after page to the remainers on here as they desperately try to pigeon hole leave voters into categories
the reasons for voting are wide.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
perhaps you could convince the moaners on here who dont believe this

I'm 90% sure because it's going terribly so far and I'm pretty sure it'll get worse, as we will be stupid enough to leave. 10% of me lives in hope that if something as daft as a referendum on Europe can happen, then as daft as us actually voting to leave followed by the walk outs and chaos after the vote perhaps something just as unexpected will happen and someone will find a way to put a stop to this Brexit insanity. Perhaps, but unlikely.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I'm 90% sure because it's going terribly so far and I'm pretty sure it'll get worse, as we will be stupid enough to leave. 10% of me lives in hope that if something as daft as a referendum on Europe can happen, then as daft as us actually voting to leave followed by the walk outs and chaos after the vote perhaps something just as unexpected will happen and someone will find a way to put a stop to this Brexit insanity. Perhaps, but unlikely.

if i were you i would put your disney dreams on hold and acknowledge brexit means brexit, carry on with your 10% dream it will never happen if it makes you happy but one day you will have to step into the real world

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I think this illustrates quite well that many Brexit voters simply do not realise the significance of what they have done. It seems they got conned by the simplification of the implications by the leave campaign. Leaving the EU doesn't simply mean saving money and preventing foreigners from coming here.
I hear so many calls for "just get it done now, come on, it'll be easier"

It'll take about 8 years to get fully out and billions in lawyers fees (legal procedure is always dragged out). 8 years of political turmoil could throw up any change. 8 years in politics is a loooooooong time.
I really wouldn't get your hopes up for the end result you're desperate for, Brexiters.
Conned?
It's the best thing to happen to this country while the EU will inevitably crash into the unknown.

I'll be glad when this article 50 is triggered and the sooner the better....happy days :)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
if i were you i would put your disney dreams on hold and acknowledge brexit means brexit, carry on with your 10% dream it will never happen if it makes you happy but one day you will have to step into the real world

Well that's the tragedy of it. The madness will continue, very likely until we exit and beyond. As I said though, things are so bonkers that nothing would surprise me. Not even a veto of Brexit. But that is very likely straw clutching on my part. As we both agree, who knows!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Well that's the tragedy of it. The madness will continue, very likely until we exit and beyond. As I said though, things are so bonkers that nothing would surprise me. Not even a veto of Brexit. But that is very likely straw clutching on my part. As we both agree, who knows!

out of interest how is it you can be reasonable early in the mornings yet later on in the day you are a complete mental ****?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
After several thousand posts on this thread nothing has really changed. Nobody at the beginning could predict the final outcome of a remain or a leave and that is still the case. Both sides clutch at any piece of news that supports their case only to see a new development that undermines that.

All I know is we are where we are today but who knows what twists and turns the coming days, weeks months and years will bring

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Its a somewhat strange article.
We are lead to believe there is absolutely no way The EU will negotiate on free movement and now they are willing to hand out deals........has someone from the EU let it slip their stance is not solid?
One thing people are forgetting in this whole process and is one of the reasons why we are in no rush to to invoke article 50 and show our hand,we can simply sit back and watch how the EU deal with Switzerland.
They must put into place their referendum decision to stop free movement and have quotas by feb 2017. Their negotiations were frozen whilst we had our referendum so their would be no influence. Both sides are at loggerheads yet the Swiss feel they now have the upper hand because of how we voted.
The Swiss situation will be sorted long before brexit is concluded........there are cards all over the table and we are yet to see the flop.

There has been much confusion around the triggering article 50 question which is unsurprising considering the lack of contingency planning . Some Brexiteers wanted it triggered asap as they don't trust the government to deliver Brexit and some remainers seem to think we are delaying because we are trying to avoid Brexit. It was always likely to be the best option to wait as it is in our national interest to do so.

As you point out the Swiss situation has some bearing on the free movement question. We also need time to establish our red lines,formulate a negotiating strategy and to gather the relevant negotiating expertise before embarking on years of complex political/trade negotiations. But most importantly we are in relatively strong position as the EU can't move forward until we officially start the exit process. We also still have use of our EU veto so could cause considerable problems if provoked.

It does look like the EU were bluffing re single market access = free movement which many of us thought would be the case despite continuously being told the opposite was a 'fact'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here