Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
This is an extract from an article about anti-vaxers: I think it could equally be applied to debating with Brexiters.....

Too many of us buy into the old, and slightly vain, liberal idea that good and rational speech will always win out over bad and logically incoherent speech. And that people who disagree with us are less complex and more stupid than we are. Freedom of expression is critical to democracy in its own right, but insights from cognitive psychology put paid to the idea that the truest idea will win out, particularly in a world where social media platforms make most profit out of the stuff that hardens our views by making us angry. Campaigners who want to change minds have to be much smarter than simply explaining what makes other people so wrong.

Interesting and insightful but I would be wary of generalising across the population as a whole. To balance things out (a little) look at the drop in Johnson's approval ratings. Evidence and rationality can still prevail.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Interesting and insightful but I would be wary of generalising across the population as a whole. To balance things out (a little) look at the drop in Johnson's approval ratings. Evidence and rationality can still prevail.

Yes, I agree...

You cannot fool all the people all the time.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
You ,McNob and Watford bloke..... Three hard-core

Regards
DF

Thanks for your input.... although I don't recognise the monikers of the other two. Was it a rather weak attempt at a put down? Do tell....

More importantly, you are repeating a term you have read and applied it to several fellow NSC posters. Can tell us what the '5th column collective' actually means or was it just another case of you following someone's else lead without any thought?

Finally, please ask your proof reader to supervise your punctuation. Often it seems like a six year old has typed your comments........

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As the thousands of posts on here prove, the 5th column collective don't do smart, let alone trying for 'smarter arguments' ... perhaps better served applying to the prevent programme for deradicalistion .. small steps.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

I'm not sure that an ardent Unionist who campaigns and votes for a border in the Irish Sea, and then when they get it, decides they don't want it with absolutely no idea of any alternative, should really worry too much about what other 'smarter' people are up to :dunce:

forrest-gump-running-forrest-gump.gif

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I'm not sure that an ardent Unionist who campaigns and votes for a border in the Irish Sea, and then when they get it, decides they don't want it with absolutely no idea of any alternative, should really worry too much about what other 'smarter' people are up to :dunce:

View attachment 144858

Until he can explain what he means by '5th Column Collective' and how that term applies to fellow Albion supporters on this site then I hold his comments with the contempt they deserve....

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I would like clarification from the people who use it; they are the only ones who know what they mean by it. Snide.....

Indeed.

I think clarification is also required when folk use the term 'Boris supporter' without any evidence of voting history or alike.

Just for consistency like.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Complaing about dehumanising labels while replying to an account called 'Grizzling Gammon' ... comedy gold [emoji106]

He's not complaining.

Calling someone a 5th columnists implies they are a spy or traitor.

Calling one's self 'grizzling gammon' on a football forum is amusing, in context (which it always is when you reply).

Your idea of comedy gold isn't likely to get you a second series. Not even on Channel 5 :shrug:

Apart from that, another brilliant post, finger on the pulse (emoji not working thought), etc.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Indeed.

I think clarification is also required when folk use the term 'Boris supporter' without any evidence of voting history or alike.

That's much easier and less controversial; the clue is in the name. It's those who defend the mendacious behaviour of our woeful PM, whether or not they voted for him that are the issue, like.

Last edited:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020

View attachment 144858

I find it odd the so called 'smart' ones are not so smart to even have the self awareness to notice the divide and rule and pawns they are. Succesfully groomed to turn against even their own supporters

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Complaing about dehumanising labels while replying to an account called 'Grizzling Gammon' ... comedy gold [emoji106]

I don't seek dialogue with you; it's never worth it for either of us. However, when you refer specifically to me I prefer to reply to you directly.

I assume you mean 'complaining'.

It would be helpful in responding directly to your accusations if you define what you mean by calling several posters on here (presumably including me) a 'fifth column collective'. We are fellow Albion supporters who clearly do not share your fixed world view; I don't know you and so I would not presume to call you a fascist, but I reserve the right to challenge your political beliefs.

Can you explain your use of the derisive term 'fifth column collective' or not? If you don't understand the term properly, don't apply it to people vacuously.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Indeed.

I wonder where the chapter 'trying to slam it into reverse at speed' without looking a complete **** is in the troll manual

ThornySoreCrayfish-max-1mb.gif

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here