Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Are Remain supporters showing their true colours?

By definition supporting Remain is down grading sovereignty and democracy, so itcan be expected that there would be quite a few of them sneering at a pure form of direct democracy, a referendum. To me this is very grubby.

The scare mongering has become Doom mongering and attempts to further destabilise the country. How far are they/you willing to go?
Civil War? Seriously, Democracy is the replacement of violence as a method for change to governance.Why do you not understand this? Why do some treat it with so much contempt?

Cameron and Osborne chose project fear instead of just telling the country all the decent things the EU do, but leopards can't change their spots. That is the way the Bullingdon Toffs go about things, do as we say or you'll get a damn good thrashing you dirty plebs
The messages I got from the whole campaign was "if you vote (insert yes or no here) really bad things will happen".

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Or perhaps more kindly, like anyone dealing with a major loss, they are going through the Kubler-Ross five stages of grief: Denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.

I think most are still somewhere between 1 and 2, with a little bit of 3.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Now is the time to be pro Europe! It's only the EU we voted to leave, we still love our European neighbours and we need to show them :love:

Just because we don't agree with the direction of EU politics doesn't mean we want to close our borders.
Indeed... a point that despite being repeated ad infinitum across the media, seems to escape those in the Remain camp.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I started this thread in order to gauge others views on the certainty of the British peoples decision to leave the EU. In view of the parliamentary petition story, it looks as though this is going to be a defining viewpoint.

In the meantime chaos is turning into crisis - which proves the importance of this decision being valid and robust - and bad feeeling is rife.

Just for the record I'm 72, been voting centre right since the seventies and voted to Leave. I used every ounce of logic, information and experience I possess in order to make an informed decision.

So I got the result I wanted, I'm just not happy with the margin as I don't believe enough people were as convinced as I was and let's be honest, many peoples reasons were muddled.

Unfortunately, judging by the response, most people couldn't care a toss - not a great sign of the extreme sophistication desirable at a time like this and when the weaker side of democracy is revealed.

Agree, a very balanced view.

It's clear we have 48% who voted remain, a known outcome for the future. 52% voted leave, but we don't know what that means in real terms. How does that equate to forming new policies? What if only half the 52 end up being happy, do we end up leaving the EU but with a new politics that only 26% wanted!?

No wonder Johnson & Gove looked like they were attending a funeral on Friday, their victory is also their defeat. Despite all the rhetoric and metaphors about healing, this is a shit storm and they both know it. They know they can't appease all the 52 or the 48. It's a political nightmare.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Now is the time to be pro Europe! It's only the EU we voted to leave, we still love our European neighbours and we need to show them :love:

Just because we don't agree with the direction of EU politics doesn't mean we want to close our borders.

:love:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Look this is all a bit silly now.

There won't be a 2nd referendum on the binary question of whether we leave the EU or not.

We are gone.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The messages I got from the whole campaign was "if you vote (insert yes or no here) really bad things will happen".

It was a shocking campaign from all politicians, from all sides. No one sold us the EU, they both tried to sell us a vision of life without it - whatever way you voted both those campaign visions were mainly lies. The country has been let down by our elected members badly.

Even those happy with Leave, they will fudge something so badly in trying to reconcile and compromise that no one will end up happy. Even as a Remain voter, I'd almost feel better today if Boris had got on that stage and said "we should leave now, I have a plan, I want to lead this country, and take us forward'. I'd have hated it in equal measure, but at least reassured someone is standing by their convictions!

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
By definition supporting Remain is down grading sovereignty and democracy, so itcan be expected that there would be quite a few of them sneering at a pure form of direct democracy, a referendum. To me this is very grubby.

The scare mongering has become Doom mongering and attempts to further destabilise the country. How far are they/you willing to go?
Civil War? Seriously, Democracy is the replacement of violence as a method for change to governance.Why do you not understand this? Why do some treat it with so much contempt?

As far as I can remember the only person talking about bullets is your boy Farage.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
… or was the bar set too low to account for a rounding error?

Would we get the same result in another referendum held just next Thursday?

Should the requirement to change the status quo have been greater- 55%, 60% or whatever?

Is this mandate to quit the EU with all the incredible implications really valid?

Well 24% did it for dodgy Dave! :lolol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The COMBINED referendum thread

To make our job easier, and as some of us like a game called football, there will be some merging of threads, if you could keep it all on the one then much appreciated.

Ta x

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It was a shocking campaign from all politicians, from all sides. No one sold us the EU, they both tried to sell us a vision of life without it - whatever way you voted both those campaign visions were mainly lies. The country has been let down by our elected members badly.

Even those happy with Leave, they will fudge something so badly in trying to reconcile and compromise that no one will end up happy. Even as a Remain voter, I'd almost feel better today if Boris had got on that stage and said "we should leave now, I have a plan, I want to lead this country, and take us forward'. I'd have hated it in equal measure, but at least reassured someone is standing by their convictions!

Someone needs to stand up and let people know what is happening next. With the country split so much what is needed is strong leadership and clear direction of how this is all going to work. Boris looking terrified is helping no-one.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

No one has said what we're going to expect.

We had the shock of a Leave vote, the markets dropping, our prime minister resigning, and one gloating buffoon.

So where was the leadership to tell us what would happen, who had a speech to reassure us of our bright new future? Who had the balls to get up and sound prepared for this outcome, how we'd go about forming a plan!?

No one did. No one has. The silence is deafening. Gove and Johnson ducked it like two schoolboys caught burning their pens in the Bunsen burners, with the acrid air filling the classroom.

Yes I voted Remain. But even Leave voters must have expected more political motivation than this!!??

Take our country back, more like shit their pants...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It has had to take a result like this for our politicians to hopefully wake up and see their own errors. If you don't have anyone guiding you, then eventually everything comes off the rails.

it is such a shame that it took the political games of the bullingdon boys to get the voice of the people heard. Question is: is anybody listening?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Please tell us all the facts that you researched. I just want some clarification that I was wrong with my remain vote. Trust me there is very little on the site that supports Brexits move but please feel free to engage.
Remember it's debate , please feel free to list your exit reasons

Unfortunately I am away for the next week so am unable to respond to your request but I suspect my reasons have already been outlined by many others in the debate on here over the last few weeks. Also it's difficult to convey the reasons through a few sound bites on a forum as the decision was a tough call. I suspect you aren't really that interested in my thoughts anyway especially as there is little any of us can do now to change the resul. It's time to accept that we are where we are and to move on in as positive a manner as possible.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Jesus wept that is wrong.

And we didn't even vote on booting people out.

We simply voted on whether or not we stay in the EU. Nothing more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here