Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
It is a parody, but it is a reflection on how some of the more dim Brexiteers think.

Your answer is entirely correct - note the capital P on both of the first two words as opposed to the real idiot who uses one only on the first word.

As well as being correct about this deliberate parody you are also correct that other Johnston supporting Brexit lovers hold mind-numbingly stupid views...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If you put the real one on ignore but leave the parody off it it becomes super obvious

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Your answer is entirely correct - note the capital P on both of the first two words as opposed to the real idiot who uses one only on the first word.

As well as being correct about this deliberate parody you are also correct that other Johnston supporting Brexit lovers hold mind-numbingly stupid views...

Thank you - it all makes sense now.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My views were, are and I suspect remain that we were better in than out, however my side of the argument lost so out we have gone and these farcical negotiations are the final part I hope the noises are just the sabre rattling of the BRitish neo Fascists or as they like to style themselves Boris Johnsons Tory Party and that these do lead to a free trade arrangement.
I do agree with Dominic Cummings on one thing and that is this whole Brexit Covid huge Tory majority really is an opportunity to rewrite the way we deliver our democracy, I fear the Tories in fact all MPs will shy away when push comes to shove.
Only two countries in the World still have unelected clerics sitting making decisions on their nations laws, Iran is one the other is the UK the House of Lords where Lords Lord it over us, in what is a museium the Palaces of Westminster were destined and built for an imperial age and not the future.

We need
1. A form of proportional representation
2. An elected second house
3. A Judiciary that is indipendant of Government ( the Attorney General should not be an MP of the Government )
4. The speakers position should held by an indipendant Judge
5. New Parliment buildings out of London
6. Renegotiate the 1707 act of Union to include all the nations of the U.K. all as seoperate nations but combining of certain elements ( these might include defence, free trade, currency)

I was with you up to there.

PR allows extremists to get seats in parliament. Farrage would be in parliament. Admittedly he'd ptobablu be thrown out after aweek but, still.

PR is always favoured by Greens and Liberals because it is the only way they might get a whiff of power (in a coalition).

We had a coalition via the current systen recently, don't forget. The weakest shite house government in living memory, and one that sewqed the seeds of the referendum that gave us Brexit.

Not for me, thanks.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

PR allows extremists to get seats in parliament. Farrage would be in parliament. Admittedly he'd ptobablu be thrown out after aweek but, still.

PR is always favoured by Greens and Liberals because it is the only way they might get a whiff of power (in a coalition).

We had a coalition via the current systen recently, don't forget. The weakest shite house government in living memory, and one that sewqed the seeds of the referendum that gave us Brexit.

Not for me, thanks.

Completely disagree Harry. It certainly wasn't a coalition that put Brexit to the vote, and it won't be a coalition that will take us out 'no deal'. Of the 43 countries in Europe, only 3 don't have some form of proportional representation. It may be the 'Mother of Parliaments', but a lot of other things have been changed for the better in the last 300 odd years and It's been left behind.

And the seeds of the referendum pre-date even John Major's famous *******'s speech. Cameron simply thought it would be a way to cover over the cracks in the Conservative party over Europe once and for all. It was all about the Conservative party, not the country. Somehow, a small movement in voting percentages had given him carte blanche for an entire country (Not the greatest decision in political history)

This system has certainly put a small group of extremists in ultimate power and the house of commons and lords which are meant to provide balance, are completely powerless.

The percentage change in voting over mine (and your) lifetimes bears no resemblance whatsoever the various shifts in Government's power :nono:

Last edited:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

Not for me, thanks.

I struggle to see how the Tories will ever loose another election without it, of the 43 Countries in Europe 40 use Proportional representation only the UK, Belarus and France use first past the post and two of those three are currently questionable democracies

Jan 30, 2008

Not for me, thanks.

Come on H we've had extremists in Parliament before, chucky ,Sam ,Jo , Grieve etc and they all got shown the door , now we're taking back control so best to let go
Regards
DF

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
We need
1. A form of proportional representation
2. An elected second house
3. A Judiciary that is indipendant of Government ( the Attorney General should not be an MP of the Government )
4. The speakers position should held by an indipendant Judge
5. New Parliment buildings out of London
6. Renegotiate the 1707 act of Union to include all the nations of the U.K. all as seoperate nations but combining of certain elements ( these might include defence, free trade, currency)

Agree almost 100%, but I'm not convinced by 2. I think it would work better more completely independent like the Judiciary .

The PR doesn't need to be pure, just some form of secondary preference. That doesn't have to mean "coalition of parties", but "coalition of ideas" within a single party with a strong majority. If a party knows it needs to attract second choices, it will tailor it's policies accordingly.

As the electorate has shifted over the last few years, FPTP has delivered:

1) Coalitions
2) Weak majorities
3) Extremist MPs (on both left and right) hedging their bets and appealing to their core vote. knowing that will get them over the line.

Everything they warned you PR would deliver.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The PR doesn't need to be pure, just some form of secondary preference. That doesn't have to mean "coalition of parties", but "coalition of ideas" within a single party with a strong majority. If a party knows it needs to attract second choices, it will tailor it's policies accordingly.

thats not what happens though is it? where this is practiced, parties face the election on their idelogical policies then compromise on them to negotiate coalitions. though arguably better then current, where they compromise their ideology anyway after winning.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
"Hi, artists of the UK. We've taken away your freedom of movement and as such made it incredibly difficult for you to build your career as previous generations have in Europe. Would you mind doing some stuff for a UK festival so we can use you as propaganda to distract everyone from the breakdown of the UK? Oh, and you probably won't get paid. We'll be in touch."

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
EhbpJRsXsAEyilL.jpeg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thing is, Thatcher, whatever you thought of her politics, was a person of integrity.

would certainly not be happy with this shower.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Oh dear. It gets worse. I would say that we now know why the govt's chief legal advisor resigned. He saw this coming (or should that be Cummings?). I accept (reluctantly) that Brexit had to 'get done' but my word it's how Brexit has been done that raises huge questions about the competence and integrity of the mob holding the levers of power.

Britain has already breached the withdrawal agreement by tabling the internal market bill, prompting Brussels to plan legal action that could lead to financial and trade sanctions, according to a leaked EU legal opinion.

The European commission believes Boris Johnson’s government breached the terms of the treaty just by taking the first steps to pass a new law that would negate key parts of the agreement signed last year.

“Already by tabling the draft bill and pursuing the policy expressed therein, the UK government is in violation of the good faith obligation under the withdrawal agreement (article 5) because this bill jeopardises the attainment of the objectives of the agreement”, the commission lawyers write.

The commission has advised the 27 EU capitals that there are therefore grounds for the bloc to take “legal remedies” through the European court of Justice before the end of the transition period, leading to significant fines or potential trade sanctions.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I really don't know whether to believe this is a parody account of not. "Rule the waves"??! You do know it's not 1745 anymore right?

He meant 'waives the rules'

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
He meant 'waives the rules'

amazing how easily you can con people if you bring patriotism into it. Boris being a good example, mess up your hair and act like a bumblng Hugh Grant act on steroids, wave the Union Jack now and again for added effect. Back it up with enough media bias and your onto a winner, after all, no one ever asks why Rule Brittania at the proms was headline news while they are bombing the hell out of eachother in the west bank or a US election is going on. No, our civilisation is under threat and we must vote Tory to stop it, keep rolling off the cliches - woke, lefty, marxism. Of course theyŕe not brainwashed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here