Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Somewhat depends on your opinion of why we leave. For me, it's less about the money ( i.e. if we as a country or individuals gain or lose financially ) and more having the power over our own rules and destiny. Having power devolved to the people as close as possible ( as the UK is doing ) or centralising the power ( as per the EU ). I don't, nor won't, put a financial 'price' on that - I'm not money or wealth driven - aka greedy.

OK, so no economic arguments then, what is it we can do outside of the EU, that we could not do in it, that you see as a positive, that has nothing to do with economics.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I am sure my single mum on the breadline in Grimsby would be concerned with money but I am surprised that you would equate this with greed.

The mum is of course my hypothesis. Perhaps I could offer an actual relative living near Grimsby, a father grieving the fact that the higher education and early career dreams of two of his children are being compromised by the loss of their status as citizens of a wider Europe. More greed?

Grieving?
This sort of over-dramatization is hardly appropriate in the light of current events.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
A youtuber with around a quarter of a million subscribers or a heavily sedated man talking bollox on a football forum.
Difficult choice.

Who is heavily sedated?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
A youtuber with around a quarter of a million subscribers or a heavily sedated man talking bollox on a football forum.
Difficult choice.

ArsenalFan tv has over 1 million subscribers, number of followers doesnt corrolate with level of expertise.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Grieving?
This sort of over-dramatization is hardly appropriate in the light of current events.

Ok. Not 'grieving'. How about 'deeply regretting'? Or whatever term you prefer for seeing your children's aspirations being given an unnecessary whack.

(It seems that "not giving much of a toss' might appeal to some people, but it's a free country.)

Meanwhile, on the subject of word-choices, what do you think of someone on the breadline being worried about the financial consequences of Brexit being described as 'greedy'?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Brexit will be spun even more now. Any bad economic outcomes will be entirely the fault of Coronavirus, whilst there could be an upswing in the economy following the Tories Damascene conversion to borrowing and spending - which the Brexiteers will claim is all to do with Brexit.
Leavers claiming positive outcomes as a result of Brexit? Well I never - who'd have thought it? Outrageous!

I mean, it's not as if remainers were queuing up to blame everything negative that ever happened on Brexit, was it?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Leavers claiming positive outcomes as a result of Brexit? Well I never - who'd have thought it? Outrageous!

I mean, it's not as if remainers were queuing up to blame everything negative that ever happened on Brexit, was it?

You're absolutely correct, we should look to the future, think positively, and see what benefits we can list, rather than blame everything on Brexit.

I'll be right on the case, the moment I get back from dinner :thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I agree with a number of my leave supporting friends that this thread seems to be so negative these days, that I thought we should look for positives in order to get us in a more positive mindset going forward.

So, as promised, I've sat up most of the night trawling through news and government information sites (and of course our leave supporters posts on here) to create the list of Brexit Benefits, so here goes.

1. Menstruating women will have the Tampon tax cut a year earlier than the rest of the EU due to Brexit, saving an average of £1.85 per woman.

Now this saving is of course, subject to Johnson not extending the 'transition' period, but I think we should be able to take a man like Johnson's word on that.

And of course, it means that the £15million annual tax revenue that goes to fund women's charities such as domestic abuse refuges will be cut, but they shouldn't put a financial 'price' on that - they shouldn't be money or wealth driven - aka greedy. It's the principle that matters.

I thought maybe we could keep this list going and add the Brexit benefits as they each become proven. We can all join in Leavers and Remainers, start to unite the country, and start to believe :thumbsup:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I agree with a number of my leave supporting friends that this thread seems to be so negative these days, that I thought we should look for positives in order to get us in a more positive mindset going forward.

So, as promised, I've sat up most of the night trawling through news and government information sites (and of course our leave supporters posts on here) to create the list of Brexit Benefits, so here goes.

1. Menstruating women will have the Tampon tax cut a year earlier than the rest of the EU due to Brexit, saving an average of £1.85 per woman.

Now this saving is of course, subject to Johnson not extending the 'transition' period, but I think we should be able to take a man like Johnson's word on that.

And of course, it means that the £15million annual tax revenue that goes to fund women's charities such as domestic abuse refuges will be cut, but they shouldn't put a financial 'price' on that - they shouldn't be money or wealth driven - aka greedy. It's the principle that matters.

I thought maybe we could keep this list going and add the Brexit benefits as they each become proven. We can all join in Leavers and Remainers, start to unite the country, and start to believe :thumbsup:

I am sure the benefits will seem to come rolling in......
If we all believe enough and stop acknowledging the difficulties.....

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

2. It will theoretically be possible to stop live animal exports.

That's always been the main benefit in my book, although it might not happen and you have to balance it against the greater likelihood of us importing the meat of abused animals.

(You won't get much of a response from Brexit enthusiasts by the way. It seems that their common tactic is, when pulled up on some palpable falsehood, is to disappear for a while, presumably in the hope that everyone has forgotten about it when they return. GT49er and Westdean Seagull offer recent examples.)

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

That's always been the main benefit in my book, although it might not happen and you have to balance it against the greater likelihood of us importing the meat of abused animals.

(You won't get much of a response from Brexit enthusiasts by the way. It seems that their common tactic is, when pulled up on some palpable falsehood, is to disappear for a while, presumably in the hope that everyone has forgotten about it when they return. GT49er and Westdean Seagull offer recent examples.)

I only come on here occasionally for amusement at all the hand-wringing. That way, as well as being amused, I keep clear of the spite and invective. Simple really.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I'm afraid we can't count theoretical 'possible' benefits. Once the government actually bans live exports, i'll add it to the list immediately.

After all, we left the EU and Got Brexit Done 6 weeks ago, so I would imagine the proven benefits will start rolling in imminently.

Last edited:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I see the new 'off the shelf' Leaver phrase for other posters expressing Brexit concerns is now 'hand-wringing'
Simple really.......

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I only come on here occasionally for amusement at all the hand-wringing. That way, as well as being amused, I keep clear of the spite and invective. Simple really.

You keep clear of the spite and invective? I'm sorry, but that is not right. You called me a lying bullshitter (or possibly a bullshitting liar) recently. You were wrong, having misread a post. When this was made clear, you simply disappeared for a while.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
So will COVID-19

a) give Johnson a pretext for a walk-away/no deal?

b) have no discernible impact on the negotiations?

c) prompt a sensible (short?) extension to the process?

Given that I think June is the peak of the pandemic and the time when we need to put in our definitive position, it could be argued that we simply won't have the resources to cope with both? (I'm assuming that negotiators are not immune.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here