Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
This characterisation suggests that the forthcoming referendum is sneakily a(nother) issue pitching the working class against the middle class (with you abandoning your new position to side with your roots in an act of sacrifice).
It also suggests that you and Sadiq Khan should be congratulated for achieving upward mobility -- which is all the more impressive given that socioeconomic mobility has been drastically curtailed in the last few decades.

Oh no. This particular comment isn't about Brexit. It's about people on here sneering at the papers that working-class people read and referring to them as 'scum' amongst other things.

But many thanks for the congratulations on my social mobility. It's always nice to be patronised.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Here is another gem... once a year, to suit the French need to be part of the wider picture.... the EU commission spends €100m to move the entire parliament to Strasbourg for one month... no other reason, just vanity it seems.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Oh no. This particular comment isn't about Brexit. It's about people on here sneering at the papers that working-class people read and referring to them as 'scum' amongst other things.

But many thanks for the congratulations on my social mobility. It's always nice to be patronised.
I'm working class and I don't read the sun, I think anyone that believes anything they read in a paper is a bit dim and should do more research before coming to a conclusion .

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
The latest figures from migration watch should be a concern to everybody whether you're an inner or an outer. Even the most fervent remainer must look at them and have concerns.

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/press-release/454

How can I be expected to believe this when they are funded by anti-EU shills? This fact alone totally and completely negates anything they could possibly say. /Leavemodeon

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Get out of what....?

There is no way we will vote Leave then continue to allow uncontrolled EU migration... defeats the object.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If we vote to leave and want to retain access to the single market by remaining in The EEA, reciprocal, free movement of people and workers will remain. The 'leave' camp can not conclusively tell us what will happen with immigration, because it's ultimately totally out of their control and they have no idea. If you want to believe Nigel Farage and his points system that he says we'll introduce, fine. He's not in Westminster. He's no more influence on things than a bloke down the pub. This vote is about the UK's membership of The European Union. It is not about our immigration policies. Therefore if you think that voting to leave defeats the object, then vote to remain. We'll have a say and a veto over who joins the EU in the future and what restrictions are placed on their citizens, if any, in regards to free movement. We'll have no say whatsoever outside the EU and nothing will change. Nearly half of net migration to the UK is non-EU citizens anyway. That's not going to be changed by voting to leave the EU either, as it has nothing to do with the EU.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Just so I am clear at least, you're reacting to the sneering at the general reading choice of the working class, not objecting to a newspaper that once hacked the voicemails of a murdered teenager having a pun turned against it? I personally don't forget the wrongs perpetrated by the paper during my lifetime. I think scum is about bang on for that particular title.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So your argument for why people should not believe experts in their field is that The Sun newspaper MAY be right about something for the first time?

If you'd said "The Sun are backing Brexit for xenophobic and racial reasons, as they have been for the last 40 years, and I agree with said reasoning", then at least you'd have garnered respect for your honesty. The notion that The Sun are doing any of this for any other reason than to appeal to it's racist readership to further it's own xenophobic overtones is nothing short of ignorant.
I didn't mention any reasons for the S*n's stand on this issue, or say anything about why they might have opted for Brexit. You did, you made up your idea of what their reasons might be, and then attributed that thinking to me so that you could be abusive. Pathetic.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm working class and I don't read the sun, I think anyone that believes anything they read in a paper is a bit dim and should do more research before coming to a conclusion .

I never said you did but the paper is aimed at and is overwhelmingly read by working-class people. I don't read it either but I don't think the people that do are scum or brainless bigots/sheep.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Just so I am clear at least, you're reacting to the sneering at the general reading choice of the working class, not objecting to a newspaper that once hacked the voicemails of a murdered teenager having a pun turned against it? I personally don't forget the wrongs perpetrated by the paper during my lifetime. I think scum is about bang on for that particular title.

I'm reacting to the way that people are sneering at 'Sun reader'. There's nothing quite like it for making people feel a little bit superior.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Thought not. Did you read those links (one of which didn't appear to work). Couldn/t see anywhere that David Cameron said what he is alleged to have said in the poster. Yes, he has previously said he would support Turkey joining the EU, why wouldn't he? Problem is he knows Turkey are decades away from fulfilling 33 of the 35 requirements to join and irrespective of what Cameron says, if Cyprus says no then Turkey isn't going to join.

With regard to the leaked documents, they are merely leaked documents showing the suggestions of an overseas diplomat which are not Tory policy.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Fully expected the Dirty Digger to jump this way, it must mean there is more money for him out of Europe....not sure how many Liverpudlians will believe him though?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm reacting to the way that people are sneering at 'Sun reader'. There's nothing quite like it for making people feel a little bit superior.

I must admit, if I see someone reading or buying The Sun, I can't not question their judgement, or at least their memory or moral compass. We rally against politicians lying to us, or anyone in positions of power, and yet a newspaper can repeatedly lie, and I mean tell some absolutely earth shattering lies, can make the callous incomprehensible decision to hack a murdered teenagers phone, listen to the voicemails and DELETE them, without telling the family, police.....and yet, and yet despite this, people still buy it. How is that possible? How did this newspaper not find itself in oblivion? I'm still stunned so many people buy it. It's unbelievable really what they've done and got away with. It doesn't make me feel superior, it makes me feel a bit sick.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I must admit, if I see someone reading or buying The Sun, I can't not question their judgement, or at least their memory or moral compass. We rally against politicians lying to us, or anyone in positions of power, and yet a newspaper can repeatedly lie, and I mean tell some absolutely earth shattering lies, can make the callous incomprehensible decision to hack a murdered teenagers phone, listen to the voicemails and DELETE them, without telling the family, police.....and yet, and yet despite this, people still buy it. How is that possible? How did this newspaper not find itself in oblivion? I'm still stunned so many people buy it. It's unbelievable really what they've done and got away with.
100% agree

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Get out of what....?

There is no way we will vote Leave then continue to allow uncontrolled EU migration... defeats the object.

Here's the thing - the type of migrants a lot of people are worried about are simply not from the EU.
Here's another - we already control our own borders despite being in the EU. (Whether we allocate sufficient resources to control them effectively is entirely a different argument).

Being IN the EU has allowed us to make the arrangement with France, that 'our' border controls are on their soil. Because of this it is the French who are forced to deal with the problematic refugee camps around Calais. Vote Leave, and why would the French agree to maintain that arrangement? (They won't). They'll let anyone leave France bound for the UK to happily get rid of them. We can stop them in Dover but then what? Being out of the EU isn't going to stop those North Africans and other desperate people trying to get here, in any way, shape or form.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Here's the thing - the type of migrants a lot of people are worried about are simply not from the EU.
Here's another - we already control our own borders despite being in the EU. (Whether we allocate sufficient resources to control them effectively is entirely a different argument).

Being IN the EU has allowed us to make the arrangement with France, that 'our' border controls are on their soil. Because of this it is the French who are forced to deal with the problematic refugee camps around Calais. Vote Leave, and why would the French agree to maintain that arrangement? (They won't). They'll let anyone leave France bound for the UK to happily get rid of them. We can stop them in Dover but then what? Being out of the EU isn't going to stop those North Africans and other desperate people trying to get here, in any way, shape or form.
This is true, I've said before leaving won't stop people coming, what do the LEAVERS suggest we do, machine gun them as they roll into Dover??

Kosmonaut

Proud Hoveonian
Feb 10, 2013
Hove
What kind of person actually votes based on what trash papers like The Sun tell them to? How about we put all those people in a separate island somewhere and let them declare EU independence and have them deal with the consequences.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I have been reading the Sun since the 70's,and enjoyed it most of the time.I can also spell idiot.I retired at 59,mortgage and debts all paid off,comfortably off etc.,which is,I suspect,a great deal better off than you.I presume half the people slagging off the Sun/Murdoch are unemployed/unemployable to have so much free time on an internet chat site!As to the poster who declared he spends 9 months of the year in EU countries,where does he spend the other 3,la-la land????

So you enjoyed reading The Sun's version of the Hillsborough 'Truth', the fabricated interview with the widow of Colonel 'H' Jones and the hacking of the phone of a dead child?

Not saying it's wrong, it takes all sorts. It does show your moral values though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I must admit, if I see someone reading or buying The Sun, I can't not question their judgement, or at least their memory or moral compass. We rally against politicians lying to us, or anyone in positions of power, and yet a newspaper can repeatedly lie, and I mean tell some absolutely earth shattering lies, can make the callous incomprehensible decision to hack a murdered teenagers phone, listen to the voicemails and DELETE them, without telling the family, police.....and yet, and yet despite this, people still buy it. How is that possible? How did this newspaper not find itself in oblivion? I'm still stunned so many people buy it. It's unbelievable really what they've done and got away with. It doesn't make me feel superior, it makes me feel a bit sick.

It's all fair points but I guess people have different priorities. I'd also add that I am sure that every single newspaper has done something that is not only illegal but morally reprehensible. it's the nature of the beast. The fact that dodgy journalists also move from paper to paper, Take Daniel Boffey for example - used to write hatchet jobs on the Labour party for the Mail but is now employed by the Guardian, prove that it's an industry-wide problem and newspapers are remarkably devoid of morals when it comes to who they will employ and what they will write to keep their circulation up.

All newspapers know their readership slants and prejudices and the journalists twist the stories to pander to those prejudices. That's all that happens. The broadsheet readers who believe they are getting more impartial news are probably the most deluded of the lot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here