Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Well done for posting an article that comes up with next to no solutions as to how to solve the problems of exiting the customs union and policing the border. I guess that is what happens when you blindly post links to articles.

I particularly like this comment: "For large businesses, the UK has proposed that compliance checks should principally be carried out electronically, and where physical spot checks are needed, they should be done remotely, away from the border itself." These checks would examine compliance based upon certain standards - these would be EU standards.

Lazy posting. It would be better if you actually outlined what your solution is.

Alternatively, we could agree that being part of a group of nations with similar standards and shared interests that trading together under agreed tariffs and standards makes sense.

We are no longer an economic super power. Let's learn to play a part in the world more befitting of our stature and in the interests of our people. If we wish to walk away from the EU table - which is mad - then let's not walk away from the simplicity of a customs union.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Any chance we might now accept that Brexit is a very bad idea and move on. It's just not going to work in our interests is it.

Or are we happy to let our local GP, Liam Fox try to negotiate a trade deal with President Xi Jinping?

Maybe we can better serve the interests of our children by being a strong voice within a powerful trading block, like er, the EU.

What about the will of the majority of voters in the referendum?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I knew that, thanks. That's because The British Government have ruled out a EU/UK customs union, (red lines and all that), which wouldn't threaten to damage the constitutional integrity of this country, so it seems the other realistic options are somewhat limited at present.

Still, our own free trade deals with Swaziland are much more important than the Irish border anyway.

As i suspected you havnt been paying attenttion, it was quite clear it was mentioned an Irish customs union would damage the constitutional integrity of the nation, A EU/UK customs union damaging the constitutional integrity seems to only exist in your head

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Well done for posting an article that comes up with next to no solutions as to how to solve the problems of exiting the customs union and policing the border. I guess that is what happens when you blindly post links to articles.

I particularly like this comment: "For large businesses, the UK has proposed that compliance checks should principally be carried out electronically, and where physical spot checks are needed, they should be done remotely, away from the border itself." These checks would examine compliance based upon certain standards - these would be EU standards.

Lazy posting. It would be better if you actually outlined what your solution is.

Alternatively, we could agree that being part of a group of nations with similar standards and shared interests that trading together under agreed tariffs and standards makes sense.

We are no longer an economic super power. Let's learn to play a part in the world more befitting of our stature and in the interests of our people. If we wish to walk away from the EU table - which is mad - then let's not walk away from the simplicity of a customs union.

It also contains this economical with the truth snippet too:

And in any case, Ireland and the UK already have differential visa policies – for instance, South Africans can enter Ireland visa-free but are required to complete a full visa application for the UK.

The British High Commission and Irish Embassy in India issue reciprocal visas for both countries, likewise The British and Irish Embassies in China.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Have you really not noticed in all the negotiations the EU have published their preferred option on everything.
Please tell me you have noticed this.
They have given their version of everything, their own guidelines say they must give appropriate recommendations to finding a solution in published slides and guidelines, which they do when they publish in their presentations.

Read their material and educate yourself

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/bre...nts-article-50-negotiations-united-kingdom_en

ps im very competent, i can smell people like you a mile off

Blimey, those Europeans! What a sneaky bunch. Why can't they be more like our guys and turn up with a few things jotted on the back of a beer-mat, only to realise that they'd left the beer mat in the pub and so bullshit their way through a negotiation while those anal Euro-******** pull their hair out with frustration. This is EXACTLY why we need to get out of their bloody club. We'll muddle through, you see if we don't.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Thanks for posting something. But it still has the same issues as Westdene Seagull's two border solution above with added technology. How will you get Ireland and the DUP to agree to it. And, even you must admit, your proposal is fairly complex. 13 months to implement that unless the EU grant us an extension ?

(If this was really a starter, why didn't the government put it forward as part of the phase 1 negotiations and get it agreed ?).

More mildly amusing than hilarious and as I said last night it was just a response in kind to the childish name calling aimed at me. I am sure you are both lovely really :kiss:

And if you re-visit last nights postings you will find that only one person regressed to name calling, despite being being asked 'not to let yourself down' :angel:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What about the will of the majority of voters in the referendum?

But, what majority? We are talking about a 52% to 48% difference. That is not a huge majority. It demonstrates a dissatisfaction with the EU and it's not an endorsement of a hard Brexit.

Factor in the numbers that did not vote, and only 37% voted to leave the EU.

The referendum signalled a need for change. As parliament is sovereign - and always has been - it should now be permitted to play its role and negotiate a change in our relationship with the EU that is in the interests of the UK as a whole. All the signals say that hard Brexit would be extremely damaging to the UK. However, certain power-crazed ideological politicians who are more interested in the sound of their own voices than the good of the people are playing with our future - I include that snake in the grass Corbyn in this, as well as Boris and his cronies.

I'm probably a Re-Leaver https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/05/12/forget-52-rise-re-leavers-mean-pro-brexit-electora/ - reluctantly. I recognise that what has happened has happened. But, I can't stand by and watch the same people that convinced the British electorate to make the wrong decision drive through the negotiations to leave.

I lay the blame for where we are now firmly at Theresa May's door. She is not a PM; she is not leading the UK - she is shepherding the cats in one small part of her own political party in the hope of keeping the Tories together. I hope that post 29th March 2019 the Tories are obliterated out of site. As a political party, they deserve to die for what they have done to this country.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
As i suspected you havnt been paying attenttion, it was quite clear it was mentioned an Irish customs union would damage the constitutional integrity of the nation, A EU/UK customs union damaging the constitutional integrity seems to only exist in your head

I appreciate you appear to have taken an overdose of idiot tablets this morning but I was specifically referring to a UK/EU customs union as a solution and asked you how this would damage the constitutional integrity of The UK, not the Irish Sea border suggestion which would.

As I suggested above, it appears the very important ability to be able to strike free trade deals with Swaziland overrides any issues in regards to Northern Ireland and the relationship with our friends and neighbours in Dublin.

Carry on though/as you were.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Blimey, those Europeans! What a sneaky bunch. Why can't they be more like our guys and turn up with a few things jotted on the back of a beer-mat, only to realise that they'd left the beer mat in the pub and so bullshit their way through a negotiation while those anal Euro-******** pull their hair out with frustration. This is EXACTLY why we need to get out of their bloody club. We'll muddle through, you see if we don't.

So you agree then, they publish opinions on everything and its reasonable to want to see what they are proposing through publications.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
All this trouble for zero benefit to the UK.
All we get is a divided country. Look at it on here. People who held opposing views used to have a bit of a laugh and ribbing on here now we have people calling women *****.
Thanks Brexit.
What a total mess.

Indeed - and some posters using the very pleasant phrase of 'Spacktard' !

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
But, what majority? We are talking about a 52% to 48% difference. That is not a huge majority. It demonstrates a dissatisfaction with the EU and it's not an endorsement of a hard Brexit

Its an endorsement of leaving The EU though as laid out in legislation.Some people call leaving and following through on what was voted for hard brexit.
Its just Brexit to normal people,

So even less voted to Remain in the EU than previously thought

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
But, what majority? We are talking about a 52% to 48% difference. That is not a huge majority. It demonstrates a dissatisfaction with the EU and it's not an endorsement of a hard Brexit.

The referendum signalled a need for change. As parliament is sovereign - and always has been - it should now be permitted to play its role and negotiate a change in our relationship with the EU that is in the interests of the UK as a whole. All the signals say that hard Brexit would be extremely damaging to the UK. However, certain power-crazed ideological politicians who are more interested in the sound of their own voices than the good of the people are playing with our future - I include that snake in the grass Corbyn in this, as well as Boris and his cronies.

I'm probably a Re-Leaver https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/05/12/forget-52-rise-re-leavers-mean-pro-brexit-electora/ - reluctantly. I recognise that what has happened has happened. But, I can't stand by and watch the same people that convinced the British electorate to make the wrong decision drive through the negotiations to leave.

I lay the blame for where we are now firmly at Theresa May's door. She is not a PM; she is not leading the UK - she is shepherding the cats in one small part of her own political party in the hope of keeping the Tories together. I hope that post 29th March 2019 the Tories are obliterated out of site. As a political party, they deserve to die for what they have done to this country.

The majority of voters in the referendum.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Thanks for posting something. But it still has the same issues as Westdene Seagull's two border solution above with added technology. How will you get Ireland and the DUP to agree to it. And, even you must admit, your proposal is fairly complex. 13 months to implement that unless the EU grant us an extension ?

(If this was really a starter, why didn't the government put it forward as part of the phase 1 negotiations and get it agreed ?).

The alternative hard border or non agreement are worse options, they will have to make a choice at some point. The UK government did set out some ideas in position papers but deciding what the border solutions could be without knowing our future trade realtionship was never realistic was it.

Plus two year extension which I think will be agreed.

And if you re-visit last nights postings you will find that only one person regressed to name calling, despite being being asked 'not to let yourself down' :angel:

Really? .... "No doubt J Shit Tory Cheerboy will say 'Rubbish', though."

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
All this trouble for zero benefit to the UK.
All we get is a divided country. Look at it on here. People who held opposing views used to have a bit of a laugh and ribbing on here now we have people calling women *****.
Thanks Brexit.
What a total mess.

People had a bit of a laugh and ribbing on here? Was that when you were calling people every name under the sun?
As you know unless your English is terrible *****.has never been gender specific.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here