Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
So if I say that we will be worse of post Brexit, I haven't made a forecast, even if I say those words on the basis of something I have read that someone else wrote?

And I doubt Carney or Minford did the donkey work themselves, they got their employees/associates/underlings to do it for them, so they actually didn't make forecasts either.

I just don't buy the line that Brexiteers don't make forecasts.

Fair enough. I think I'm done here then as I can't for the life of me figure out how you are interpreting the word commission to mean actually doing the work yourself.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Errr .... the rules state 2 years FROM triggering A50 .... so it's always going to be two years !

Its not what you and your friends were predicting though. It was instant Armageddon the day after the vote. The goalposts are now moved on a daily basis by remainers as they are proved incorrect time and again. A bit like yourself who now wants a 5yr window to impending doom

Don't look at me - It was the democratically elected government of the UK that pushed it back to 5 years after the vote :lolol:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
As I pointed out in my earlier post, IF he had triggered Article 50 the day after the vote we would be leaving in June 26th this year (6 months time). That was the timescale when the forecasts were made.

Since then, TM delayed triggering Article 50, called a GE, and requested a further 2 years membership of the EU.

The end result of which is that instead of leaving in 6 months (June 2018), we are still in the EU for another 3 years (Dec 2020) moving the timescale to 5 years. And you expect the effect on the economy to be the same over the initial 18 months.

I can't believe that you didn't understand that. After all, we've both been on here long enough for me to know you're not Ppf or Two Profs :wink:

Eh? I think we're talking at cross purposes here and I think you are ignoring the big question of what was it about triggering Article 50 that would cause the collapse and why it never happened when we did finally trigger it. I'm sorry but I'm done for tonight, I'm shattered.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Eh? I think we're talking at cross purposes here and I think you are ignoring the big question of what was it about triggering Article 50 that would cause the collapse and why it never happened when we did finally trigger it. I'm sorry but I'm done for tonight, I'm shattered.

It's not just the triggering, but also the delays and extensions to membership put together.

But Fairy Muff, Let's call it a night and see you on the official match thread tomorrow where we'll have more in common :thumbsup:

Up the Arse and Liverpool (i feel a bit dirty saying that)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And this is the guy who was widely attacked by lots of ‘expert economists’ in the 1980’s when he advised Thatcher to deregulate the economy/City of London and cut taxes. This was said to be suicide for the UK public finances and would cause a huge recession..

And he’s been dining out on that ever since....and got a lot wrong since as well. He was an incendiary figure and he was attacked for this as much as his infamous 80s paper. And his latest utterings on Brexit hinge totally on an exponential increase in productivity....the very thing Britain has rarely had and is currently rock bottom at. He’s failed to explain how the bed-rock of his theory will be achieved.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Don't look at me - It was the democratically elected government of the UK that pushed it back to 5 years after the vote :lolol:

I wasn't arguing that, just stating that GB PLC was supposed to go to wrack and ruin on day 1 and not year 2 or 5 which you all seem to be pinning your hopes on after your initial absolute failure. Pessimists Utd currently losing.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
And he’s been dining out on that ever since....and got a lot wrong since as well. He was an incendiary figure and he was attacked for this as much as his infamous 80s paper. And his latest utterings on Brexit hinge totally on an exponential increase in productivity....the very thing Britain has rarely had and is currently rock bottom at. He’s failed to explain how the bed-rock of his theory will be achieved.

Yep. As I’m sure you know the productivity in Germany HT means you could go home after work on Thursday evening after four days work and still be more productive than the Brit who finishes on Friday evening after five days

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You state you dismiss all forecasts from experts, I prefer critically review them and form a judgement.

Yes, the majority think Brexit is bad for the British economy.

I'm still waiting for a compelling argument where this huge export market exists in the rest of the world. I trade a lot with Asia but its one way traffic, China for example is a very protectionist market for everyone

Perhaps a Brexiteer can give me an example where our current trade arrangement is holding us back and give me an example of a large opportunity that will fill the EU void

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Yes, the majority think Brexit is bad for the British economy.

I'm still waiting for a compelling argument where this huge export market exists in the rest of the world. I trade a lot with Asia but its one way traffic, China for example is a very protectionist market for everyone

Perhaps a Brexiteer can give me an example where our current trade arrangement is holding us back and give me an example of a large opportunity that will fill the EU void

Doesn’t really matter what you or others think, doesn’t change the outcome of the vote does it. We voted to leave and that is what we are doing.
Returning more sovereign law making powers to Westminster, ending the primacy of the ECJ and taking control of our borders and ending free movement is going to be a vast improvement to the crapshow deal we currently have to endure. You cant put a price on this sort of freedom.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Doesn’t really matter what you or others think, doesn’t change the outcome of the vote does it. We voted to leave and that is what we are doing.
Returning more sovereign law making powers to Westminster, ending the primacy of the ECJ and taking control of our borders and ending free movement is going to be a vast improvement to the crapshow deal we currently have to endure. You cant put a price on this sort of freedom.

The crapshow that we currently have to endure is Davis' attempts to make inertia look like progress.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
And you despise the notion that labelling people that disagree with you is pathetic? Yeh, right, and the moon's made of green cheese......

Pastafarian is a special case, a very special case, he has proven himself an utter bellend over the long course of this thread, and is quite partial to throwing the odd bit of abuse himself, not just the self abuse he has his bookmarks for.

Sweet of you to stick up for him though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here