Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You may be correct - I've not seen evidence of this though. Why would it not be possible for us to buy hormone inject beef from the States ( obviously clearly marked as such ) AND sell our own non-hormone injected beef to the EU ?

Why would we want to take steps backwards? Seems a bit shit if the benefit of leaving is having a load of shitty meat dumped on us.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
i think it only shows that EU is not the most significant issue for the future.[/QUOTE

Yes and meanwhile our hapless government are completely consumed and paralysed with Brexit desperately trying to hold their party together.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You may be correct - I've not seen evidence of this though. Why would it not be possible for us to buy hormone inject beef from the States ( obviously clearly marked as such ) AND sell our own non-hormone injected beef to the EU ?

I admit I may be wrong. But if we were to allow imported Beef produced that way, we would have to allow our own farmers the opportunity to produce Beef in the same lower cost per carcass method, and for full equality, fed on GM crops. It should be possible to segregate herds enough to satisfy the EU that organic beef is just that, I don't know if that would involve some sort of oversight from the EU on our methods and if that would be acceptable to Pretty pink pastafairy and JCFG.
Personally, if I had the choice of beef marked organic from a country where hormone production and GM food crops are allowed and standard beef from one where those are banned, I would probably take the latter.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Why would we want to take steps backwards? Seems a bit shit if the benefit of leaving is having a load of shitty meat dumped on us.

I admit I may be wrong. But if we were to allow imported Beef produced that way, we would have to allow our own farmers the opportunity to produce Beef in the same lower cost per carcass method, and for full equality, fed on GM crops. It should be possible to segregate herds enough to satisfy the EU that organic beef is just that, I don't know if that would involve some sort of oversight from the EU on our methods and if that would be acceptable to Pretty pink pastafairy and JCFG.
Personally, if I had the choice of beef marked organic from a country where hormone production and GM food crops are allowed and standard beef from one where those are banned, I would probably take the latter.

All fair points - I suspect the shoppers would quickly kill off hormone fed beef though. Maybe after leaving, the UK could become the world leader in animal welfare - ban live exports / imports ( something the EU aren't up for doing ) and not importing any Parmesan cheese ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All fair points - I suspect the shoppers would quickly kill off hormone fed beef though. Maybe after leaving, the UK could become the world leader in animal welfare - ban live exports / imports ( something the EU aren't up for doing ) and not importing any Parmesan cheese ?

The Tories, never. Labour might. But if anything did change it would just flip-flop between whoever is in power. Hence the need for an over-arching authority......

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Maybe Leo could start importing Argentinian beef.Would taste much nicer than the EU Red Rum beef substitute.:lolol:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The Tories, never. Labour might. But if anything did change it would just flip-flop between whoever is in power. Hence the need for an over-arching authority......

Which shouldn't be the EU given their stance on live exports and the treatment of cattle in the Parmesan industry.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I'm not sure about shoppers stopping any lowering of food standards. I suspect that there are always people who are struggling so much that they will take the cheapest option on offer whatever the consequences.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I admit I may be wrong. But if we were to allow imported Beef produced that way, we would have to allow our own farmers the opportunity to produce Beef in the same lower cost per carcass method, and for full equality, fed on GM crops.

so this is based on writing your own trade agreement with US (we must allow their beef), followed by another conclusion that we must allow local farmers to do the same. further conclusion made that all our beef would be made to that specification. the funny thing is that the presence of organic options and the regulation/certification that goes with it, tells us that things dont have to be this way. other funny thing is that we dont seem to bother about any of this with consumer goods, happily importing from far east goods, while we do not lower standards for production here.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
so this is based on writing your own trade agreement with US (we must allow their beef), followed by another conclusion that we must allow local farmers to do the same. further conclusion made that all our beef would be made to that specification. the funny thing is that the presence of organic options and the regulation/certification that goes with it, tells us that things dont have to be this way. other funny thing is that we dont seem to bother about any of this with consumer goods, happily importing from far east goods, while we do not lower standards for production here.

It has been quite well covered that the Americans struggle to get their agricultural products into EU markets because of GM crops, Hormone raised cattle and chlorine washing of meats. I forget the chaps name, but a senior US trade negotiator has said that we should drop EU standards,if we want a reallly good deal with the US. Whilst this may be true, the further we drift from EU standards, the less trade we will be able to do there, essentially swapping one market for another half the size and thousands of miles away.
We do not drop standards of production here, we are in the EU and there are rules, but what do you think the Tory Brexiteers mean when they say we can be more competitive?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Not looking good for transition year in 2019, Theresa. Pay money in, adhere to all current rules and to any that may change, and get no seat at the table.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
A3FD5218-CD3A-4CF5-9058-AC9A28EB42BB.pngA3FD5218-CD3A-4CF5-9058-AC9A28EB42BB.png

Jan 30, 2008
It can be difficult to understand I know, but a basis of debate is that someone says something and another person asks them to substantiate it, or raises a point of their own. That's how it works. There is nothing wrong with your approach but it isn't debating. It's normally known as 'Shouting'.
well ,you deaf eared GRIZZLERS need shouting at
regards
DR

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Looking at today's unfolding news on the transition deal, it's beginning to look like we're going to have to swallow free movement, ECJ rulings and full contributions to the EU Budget but without any voice in the EU. I guess this is what Brexiteers meant when they talked about taking back control? (BTW the hard line alternative of falling off the cliff with no transition is even worse.)
Great stuff and an object lesson in delivering something that no-one actually wanted.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Looking at today's unfolding news on the transition deal, it's beginning to look like we're going to have to swallow free movement, ECJ rulings and full contributions to the EU Budget but without any voice in the EU. I guess this is what Brexiteers meant when they talked about taking back control? (BTW the hard line alternative of falling off the cliff with no transition is even worse.)
Great stuff and an object lesson in delivering something that no-one actually wanted.

For once I find myself agreeing with Jacob Rees, this is like a vassal state. Far better it that May had actually thought things through before she triggered article 50, perhaps we could have got an extension, far better.

Well we are where we are, the Tories have tied us up in knots. Before we can move to transition we need to make December's agreement legally binding. Think most of the Tory party have forgotten what they agreed to

Capture.JPG

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Are you David Davis?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here