Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
There hasn't been complete silence though. What specifically do you expect/want the Government to set out pre the negotiations?

It would be nice to get a credible and coherent strategy, rather than Boris Johnson talking about leaving the customs union and still benefitting from free trade with the single market. A situation that we have been told multiple times s not possible.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
There hasn't been complete silence though. What specifically do you expect/want the Government to set out pre the negotiations?

Perhaps it would be better if The EU got the ball rolling first and completely revealed their hand now, let us know exactly and officially what tactics and parameters they will employ, reveal their plan so to speak properly and not just different opinions and soundbites through various Europhiles.

I know they said they wont discuss anything until article 50 has been started but all The EU supporters want a running commentary. The EU is clearly still not listening.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It would be nice to get a credible and coherent strategy, rather than Boris Johnson talking about leaving the customs union and still benefitting from free trade with the single market. A situation that we have been told multiple times s not possible.

Yes but what does that actually mean? What specifically do you expect/want the Government to set out pre the negotiations?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
The public have already consented. They want us OUT. The govt is getting on with it. Parliament will get it's chance, with the Repeal Act etc... #calmdowndear

And I keep asking the same question, what does 'out' mean? I'm not actually expecting a direct answer to the questions below but the out campaign have had years to outline what they foresee as the outcome and they still haven't done so, it's a shambles.

Does it mean an end to free movement?
Does it mean we will no longer accept any EU laws, regulations, or court decisions?
Do we want unrestricted access to the free market?

And so on, and so on

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
For those you who have absolute confidence in May and her negotiating position, I assume you will be happy is she comes back having secure the 'Norway' model?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
And I keep asking the same question, what does 'out' mean? I'm not actually expecting a direct answer to the questions below but the out campaign have had years to outline what they foresee as the outcome and they still haven't done so, it's a shambles.

Does it mean an end to free movement?

YES

Does it mean we will no longer accept any EU laws, regulations, or court decisions?

YES by default, but there may be options which are worth considering if they help with trade deals, travel arrangements etc...

Do we want unrestricted access to the free market?

If it is an unavoidable result of No.1 then YES (and this was discussed many times during the referendum debates), but there may be better options which are worth considering, as long as they don't compromise No.1

And so on, and so on

Answer in RED

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
That is what Brexit means. It is not exactly difficult to grasp. And we just need to get on with it. Paralysis by analysis is not an option.

This is taken from one of the 2 major leave campaign's website, this morning. So we clearly don't know what Brexit is.

We will also follow the impact on the economy and the political framework that’s in place. Our focus will be assuring that the will of the British people is implemented. There are various trading models that could be explored, for example, a Norway-plus type model, or a looser Canada-style relationship.

I entirely agree that we should be getting on with 'it', that's my point, it's really not difficult to grasp, but what is 'it'?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
"... it is not going to a "Norway model". It's not going to be a "Switzerland model". It is going to be an agreement between an independent, sovereign United Kingdom and the European Union." - Prime Minister May

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/read-thers...ch-conservative-conference-birmingham-1584423

Posting this again, for clarity, this is from one of the main leave campaigns, that people voted for:-

We will also follow the impact on the economy and the political framework that’s in place. Our focus will be assuring that the will of the British people is implemented. There are various trading models that could be explored, for example, a Norway-plus type model, or a looser Canada-style relationship.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
My post is about Britain. If you want to compare with a similar economy and culture then let's do the obvious one

"Youth Unemployment Rate in Germany decreased to 6.80 percent in September from 6.90 percent in August of 2016."

"Youth Unemployment Rate in the United Kingdom remained unchanged at 13.50 percent in July from 13.50 percent in June of 2016."

So, over twice as much in the uk.

Same question to you....you think this is good?

Sorry to be so tardy replying to you-missed it!I can't help wonder how the Germans reached that figure of youth unemployment,
in fact I think at best it's an evasion of the truth.Where have they hidden the 1 million plus young 'Syrian' refugees claiming benefits in their country-are they listed as students,gastarbeiters,holidaymakers or what?My guess for EU youth unemployment still stands at 25% with seasonally related jobs having finished for the year and the vanishing refugees.The figure of 18% quoted by another poster is from July-peak employment month.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
And we're not going to claw it back - it's going to get worse. The government's own projections are slightly worse than Morgan Stanley's - and remember, this is Theresa May's (pro-Brexit) government. The so-called "experts" were indeed wrong - they under-estimated the negative economic impact of Brexit. Hopefully the average Leave voter will stop and have a little think after the government presents its Autumn Statement next week, and realise "Holy F*ck" - this is a nightmare. And it's self-imposed.

You're a right bundle of laughs.Was it your agency under scrutiny for slave-driving Amazon drivers?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Panic... it's all chaos... there is no plan... the sky is falling...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38011477

UK retail sales rose at their fastest annual rate in 14 years in October, bolstered by colder weather and Halloween sales at supermarkets.
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said sales volumes in October were up 7.4% from a year earlier.
On a monthly basis, sales jumped 1.9% from September - a much stronger increase than economists had forecast.

Oh, wait...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
And we're not going to claw it back - it's going to get worse. The government's own projections are slightly worse than Morgan Stanley's - and remember, this is Theresa May's (pro-Brexit) government. The so-called "experts" were indeed wrong - they under-estimated the negative economic impact of Brexit. Hopefully the average Leave voter will stop and have a little think after the government presents its Autumn Statement next week, and realise "Holy F*ck" - this is a nightmare. And it's self-imposed.

There will be a massive price for getting our country back, instead of getting £350m more for the NHS we're far more likely to have a private health system soon as public finances slip further and further into the red, we're living way beyond our means. Who needs an emergency budget? Just keep borrowing, this is for another time

Its little surprise the Brexitiers are in such a hurry for the exit at any cost.The longer Brexit is delayed the more people will wake up to reality, with public sentiment shifting more and more to a soft Brexit or even no Brexit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry to be so tardy replying to you-missed it!I can't help wonder how the Germans reached that figure of youth unemployment,
in fact I think at best it's an evasion of the truth.Where have they hidden the 1 million plus young 'Syrian' refugees claiming benefits in their country-are they listed as students,gastarbeiters,holidaymakers or what?My guess for EU youth unemployment still stands at 25% with seasonally related jobs having finished for the year and the vanishing refugees.The figure of 18% quoted by another poster is from July-peak employment month.

You really are a prick. And a tedious one at that. If you can't engage in a sensible discussion I'll put you on ignore.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Literally never thought Brexit would happen, from day one. Still don't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here