Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
48% voted against this train-wreck and deserve compromise. We'll leave but hopefully Parliament will ensure not on terms that will further destabilise the economy. If we have to pay into the EU and accept free movement it is a price worth paying for access to the single market.
Paying into the EU, paying to get access to the single market, free movement for anybody and everybody............where exactly does 'leave' figure in any of this?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Quite honourable of him really. He's a committed "Remainer" representing one of the the staunchest pro-Brexit seats. If the local party puts forward a "Leaver" The Conservatives should hold the seat comfortably and with an M.P. who is more in line with his constituents.

Not that committed if he voted to leave the EU.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
That is absurd, the problem here is "leave" has not been defined and was not in the referendum. If you had voted leave and a clear policy of Hard Brexit i'd accept that point but in reality it was a vote for many things to many people and is now descending into chaos.

Put it more succinctly than I managed to do, thanks.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I know I'm repeating myself a little here, but what did the 52% vote for? If we take the question literally then it probably means an immediate and full exit from all European ties. BUT, given that the Brexit campaigners cannot agree with exactly what the vote means and given that we're 4 months down the line and no close to knowing how it's going to work, how can we possibly infer the precise intentions of those 52%. At some point, we all have to hold our hands up and admit this is a complete shambles. Realistically, parliament now has to debate the terms of what brexit are, when and how it's going to happen.

I think we are all repeating ourselves! But I agree with your assessment - taking the question literally, I believe people voted to exit the EU and the Single Market, with all the associated Treaty obligations. I think it is a leap to say that they were voting for anything else. The Leave Campaign wasn't exactly ambiguous on those points at least.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
This whole fiasco could have been penned by Shakespeare.
Leavers who maintain they voted out over concern of the downgrading of a Sovereign Parliament, are now arguing that, that same Parliament should have little or no say, in our exit.
It's a shame that he had already used the title, A Comedy of Errors

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You're naive to dismiss the power of media. Look at how riled up people are getting just on this example of social media. People, unfortunately the kind of people who voted Brexit, do fall for exactly this kind of right wing propaganda. They fell for the anti-EU rhetoric before the vote and they'll fall for this bile too.

The media is powerful, of course it is, but it needs some perspective here, a couple of your mates were exasperated that on one of the tabloids was a call to arms, HKFC had bulging eyes ready to explode because of a few emotive headlines, he then kinda spoilt it by doing a bit of tabloid spin on the 'openly gay' comment and so on.

I am anti EU, but it wouldn't have killed me had Remain won, I have worked and lived (not travelled but lived) in both Germany and Holland, still travel there regularly and have many dear european friends I like europe I dont rate the EU, I am the 'kind of people' I havent fallen for any bile, what media outlet has influenced you to form your own prejudice of those of us that wish to leave the EU ??

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Brexiteers opposition to and utter lack of comprehension of this parliamentary decision does, at least, illustrate again that the Brexiters didn't care about anything other than "getting foreigner out". Sad, in every sense.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Parliament needs to vote to give the government permission to trigger article 50 if the court's final ruling deems this necessary and scrutinise the exit process over a 2 year period.

The choice was Leaving the EU or staying in. Staying in the single market, (=) remaining under ECJ jurisdiction, retaining free movement,staying in the customs union ... isn't any sort of credible Brexit.

#takebackcontrol ?

Leaving the EU = taking back control is simplistic bollocks. The idea that the EU controlled our laws is a complete deceit.

Staying in the single market, retaining free movement, remaining within the customs union...all vital if the country is not to go even further down the pan.

God, 2016 has been shit.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The media is powerful, of course it is, but it needs some perspective here, a couple of your mates were exasperated that on one of the tabloids was a call to arms, HKFC had bulging eyes ready to explode because of a few emotive headlines, he then kinda spoilt it by doing a bit of tabloid spin on the 'openly gay' comment and so on.

I am anti EU, but it wouldn't have killed me had Remain won, I have worked and lived (not travelled but lived) in both Germany and Holland, still travel there regularly and have many dear european friends I like europe I dont rate the EU, I am the 'kind of people' I havent fallen for any bile, what media outlet has influenced you to form your own prejudice of those of us that wish to leave the EU ??

Unfortunately my worst prejudices have all been revealed as true.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

"Enemies of the State." sounds like the sort of guff that might encourage someone to take matters into their own hands. Maybe not everyone is as capable as you.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Leaving the EU = taking back control is simplistic bollocks. The idea that the EU controlled our laws is a complete deceit.

Staying in the single market, retaining free movement, remaining within the customs union...all vital if the country is not to go even further down the pan.

God, 2016 has been shit.

Vote for Brexit ... plus 2nd in the league after a cracking result last Saturday ... possibly best year ever!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here