Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brentford vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm not interested in hearing about injuries. We put a team out on the pitch, and that team got a 0-0 draw because we are incapable of scoring the necessary amount of goals to go from being a well organised and well drilled team to being a Championship winning team. But that's not really a criticism because a year ago we would have been happy to maintain our status in the Championship, we were a shambles and badly struggling to pick up any points of any kind. Now we're bang in the top 6, competing in every game (including last week, we were well in the game, even at 2-0 down) and despite struggling for players, we're going away to other top 8 teams and we're picking up points.

Today isn't the result we wanted, but it's another point toward the target. We do need to strengthen in January, of course, and I'm sure that we will. Brian Clough once brilliantly said that the competition he cared most about was the League, because you had to have every aspect of football management about you to win it, end quote. In my opinion, he was referring to being able to build the squad in the first place but then manage injuries, replenish the squad when you can and keep the club ticking over. Hughton won the league with Newcastle, whatever you think about their squad and how difficult the task was - Hughton did it once and I can't imagine that either Bloom or Barber have any reservations whatsoever about spending the money on the players Hughton says he needs.

Up the Albion.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How many are first choice only 1 guaranteed Bong. LR is virtually for away games but the rest are just squad bench players.

This was in reply to post 416 which I forgot to quote

Well, there's now Greer as well as Bong.

On the wings, we're missing March, Rosenior, and Lualua - You'd think at least one of them would be considered first choice, given March was picked ahead of RVLP before his injury. LuaLua was a regular starter before his injury, and Rosenior was picked ahead of Murphy and March at least a few times before his injury.

Baldock would be the interesting one, given his regular game time was before we signed Wilson, so we don't know whether Hughton would prefer two hard workers, or wants a big man/little man combo when he has the three of them to pick from.

Also, you shouldn't be so dismissive of squad players. The players that we can put on the bench are important. The tactical changes Hughton can/will make will be different if he has March, Rosenior, Baldock, Lualua on the bench than if he has Goldson, Chicksen, Ince and Manu, which is a significant difference between playing for a draw, and going for a win.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
We have seven first-team match day squad players currently injured. Hardly surprising it's taking its toll. I think a very decent point today in a match we could have easily lost. Two important home games coming up which must be won to keep an automatic promotion challenge on track but hopefully much needed re-enforcements not far away now. It's still on.

I don't think there are any must win games just yet. Certainly don't want to lose them both, but 2 or 3 points won't be the end of the world at this stage of the season.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So they players didn't spend any time with their families yesterday?

Not convinced Wilson would have unless he left his parents in Stoke at 7am !

Could be wrong but think we did light training yesterday morning and then stayed in hotel last night

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
So they players didn't spend any time with their families yesterday?

Most sides playing today will have trained yesterday morning then gone to the team hotel. I would imagine particularly with the early kick off this would've been the case for us. Christmas morning training ahead of boxing day games has been around for as long as I can remember

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Dropped to 4th but ther is a gap to 5th.

Could do with winning a few games , especially Ipswich, or we will get dragged into the pack!

"No shut Sherlock" I hear you call

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
How many are first choice only 1 guaranteed Bong. LR is virtually for away games but the rest are just squad bench players.

This was in reply to post 416 which I forgot to quote

Lua Lua? March? They would definitely be in the starting eleven. Rosenior and Bong too.

Then Greer or Hunemeier, Baldock too.

At least 5, possibly 6 of our first team starters are not available to start. We've done brilliantly to be anywhere near where we are.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lua Lua? March? They would definitely be in the starting eleven. Rosenior and Bong too.

Then Greer or Hunemeier, Baldock too.

At least 5, possibly 6 of our first team starters are not available to start. We've done brilliantly to be anywhere near where we are.

Neither Lua Lua or March were certain starters pre injury and either Greer or Huinemier would start Baldock over Wilson not sure so we are back to 3 definites and possibly a 4th but it suits the purpose to blame injuries rather than tackle the problem that we have gone off the boil and over achieved.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
You have to try and have the last comment dont you, even if 99% of other people disagree with you

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
March not a certain starter pre injury? What are you smoking? Pretty sure he started the Derby game in which he got injured and was on decent form prior to that.
Yes, we've gone off the boil a bit, possibly over achieved but we're still in a very good position and well placed to get back on track

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Neither Lua Lua or March were certain starters pre injury and either Greer or Huinemier would start Baldock over Wilson not sure so we are back to 3 definites and possibly a 4th but it suits the purpose to blame injuries rather than tackle the problem that we have gone off the boil and over achieved.

Lua lua and march are first choice

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Yet the post you claim you responded to says 7 first team match day squad so what's the.difference.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Most sides playing today will have trained yesterday morning then gone to the team hotel. I would imagine particularly with the early kick off this would've been the case for us. Christmas morning training ahead of boxing day games has been around for as long as I can remember

Not convinced Wilson would have unless he left his parents in Stoke at 7am !

Could be wrong but think we did light training yesterday morning and then stayed in hotel last night

I didn't realise it was impossible to fall ill over Christmas.

Indulging in too many too many chocolates :shrug:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

Just in case you have forgotten what you originally said

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here