Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Breaking News

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Why are people against Mayo? If Lynch (a centre back) gets injured, we don't exactly have a lot of back up down the left - there is no guarentee that the youngsters are any good:shootself

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Mayo shouldnt be given a contract in my view.

He hasnt done enough over the past two years.

His wages could be used for someone like Phil jevons

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Withdean Wanderer said:
Why are people against Mayo? If Lynch (a centre back) gets injured, we don't exactly have a lot of back up down the left - there is no guarentee that the youngsters are any good:shootself

And that's the point.

Whether you are in the Premiership or League Two, you still need to put together a SQUAD of players that will:

a) give a good balance between youthful exuberance and 'been there seen it done it' experience
b) provide the manager with sufficient cover in most if not all positions.

Both Kerry Mayo and Gary Hart come into the been there etc. category but importantly can also play in more than one position, which helps satisfy the second criteria.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Withdean Wanderer said:

I'm not against Kerry getting a contract, just the fact that MM obviously doesn't think he is good enough to play left back, otherwise we wouldn't have had both Reid and OGH playing there this season

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
blockhseagull said:
I'm not against Kerry getting a contract, just the fact that MM obviously doesn't think he is good enough to play left back,

at a higher level.

Mayo has proven himself in League1

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Superphil said:
In a certain light your avatar looks a bit like Mr De Burgh

:eek: :eek: :eek:

what you mean in the dark?

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
well, younger, with a bleach job, and all that.

Well maybe not but the sun is shining on my monitor.

Funnily enough my ipod on shuffle played Bathory earlier this morning. punk:

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Dies Irae said:
Kerry already had a 1 year extention due to the fact that he played in x amount of games.....

Woody mate you will have to do better than that

:p :p :p :p

Unfotunately thats not quite true as RLZ has already stated before.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Race said:
Unfotunately thats not quite true as RLZ has already stated before.

I stand corrected

have the shower contacted Tank yet?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Kinky Gerbils said:
Mayo shouldnt be given a contract in my view.

He hasnt done enough over the past two years.

His wages could be used for someone like Phil jevons
But Phil Jevons doesn't play for Brighton. Fancy paying someone who doesn't play for you. Like, nerr.

Oh, and in my opinion, Mayo has earned his new contract, assuming he's got one.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Oops mean to edit that one!

Just waiting for a call, smiling, through gritted teeth.........:lolol:

I know there have been a few away this week on hols, so that might be a prob. I think that the retained list has be to sent in today so thats why maybe today was given as a 'deadline' so to speak, but not much can be done about it if things get held up that cant be helped, FRUSTRATING as it is.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Hiney said:
And that's the point.

Whether you are in the Premiership or League Two, you still need to put together a SQUAD of players that will:

a) give a good balance between youthful exuberance and 'been there seen it done it' experience
b) provide the manager with sufficient cover in most if not all positions.

Both Kerry Mayo and Gary Hart come into the been there etc. category but importantly can also play in more than one position, which helps satisfy the second criteria.
Exactly. As blockhseagull says, El-Abd, Hart, and Reid have all strangely played left back ahead of him, as long as McGhee doesn't persist with such madness Kerry is a good squad player.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think Mayo and Harty does deserve a one year deal. As Hiney said we need a squad.

Mayo can also play left midfield (remember thats where he started out) and also centre midfield and did ok there as well as left back. As for Harty same for the right and upfront. Think of them like Steve Nicol at liverpool . No one knew his best position, but he did have his tongue out alot when he ran.

Now I know Magoo likes to chop and change the team but its handy having a player like him who can play there for one or two games when people get injured/suspended.

Its when MM PERSISTS in playing players in positions they are not used to which fucks me off. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Last edited:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
The other thing with Kerry is that he must be persisted with, when he plays you often find his first couple of games aren't the best, but he is a typical example of someone who gets better with every game he plays.

He did play one game this season as left back and was shocking, but if he had had a run of games he would have been hard to drop i believe

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
blockhseagull said:
The other thing with Kerry is that he must be persisted with, when he plays you often find his first couple of games aren't the best, but he is a typical example of someone who gets better with every game he plays.

He did play one game this season as left back and was shocking, but if he had had a run of games he would have been hard to drop i believe

Spot on. He takes a while to get going but over a season Kerry normally put's in some excellent performances. Him and Harty have played 3 out of the last 4 seasons at championship level and performed well in a number of posistions. Not the type of players we should be letting go.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
I am glad (if true) that they are getting 1 year deals, they would die for the club and are very versatile. Above all that they are proven at league 1 level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here