Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brazil struggling to be ready for World Cup 2014

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Isn't this just standard stuff these days. Every 2 years there are numerous articles saying it won't be ready. South Africa was nailed on not to be ready and was. News at the moment seems to be freaking out about Poland and Ukraine.

Brazil will be ready

Whilst on one hand, yes, you hear this before every major sporting event - that they'er behind and won't be ready (remember Athens, Olympics), but having read the story closer, there are, I think, two or three stadia which have not been started yet, in fact are still in design. It is quite possible to imagine that they couldn't complete in time.

However, FIFA will not want to give it to us.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As of the end of May, the new Euro 2012 stadium in Lviv, Ukraine was 64% ready according to the Ukraine 2012 information centre website.

SSN carried a report last night.
The governor in charge of getting the city of Lviv ready for 2012 died of a stress-induced stroke earlier this year (he was 57), and the guy who has taken over has admitted that UEFA had been "deceived" over the readiness of Lviv to be a host city for the tournament. The roads are still knackered due to lack of investment, old disused tramlines still carve them up. The foreman at the stadium hasn't fitted any seats yet, claiming the British company supplying them has been late sending them - an accusation refuted, as the seat company says they have shipped over four lorryloads a month of about 2,000 seats at a time.

It'll be alright on the night I suppose, as UEFA will not allow it to fail, they'll just throw a load of money at it. Looked fairly chaotic from the reports though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
God, how many times do we here this nonsense before a major tournament.
This. It's a load of bollocks. If a country as backward as India can get its commonwealth facilities sorted out in time, then Brazil certainly can.

(But if it didn't, the USA would be a shoo-in)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Even if they did (which I agree is unlikely), I'd love it, just love it if we told them to f*** off! (which is probably even more unlikely)
That feeling would last about one millisecond, and then one of 4 or 5 other developed countries would just say "alright, we'll host it then"

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
USA have a zillion massive stadiums, give or take - they could host it at the drop of a hat.

How could a country not be ready 2 years from now? If you started now, you'd still be ready, wouldn't you?

Nope, I just don't believe the Americans would be capable. No more capable than Brazil. Someone else mentioned Greece's fight to get ready for the Olympics, are we sure the Greeks couldn't step in? Might solve all their problems.

(No, I don't think that's feasible!)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Nope, I just don't believe the Americans would be capable. No more capable than Brazil.
Rubbish.
The USA have a plethora of stadiums which could be prepared for 2014 quite comfortably. They already have the financial clout, stadiums and the infrastructure in place. Brazil is still very much a work in progress

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Sorry to disappoint, but they are all still there and being used. I am sure SA would love to host it again, but only if FIFA paid tax this time.

But as others have said, I am sure Brazil will be ready.

Not disappointing me at all. Would love them to stay there and be used frequently. I thought I remembered hearing they were being taken down pretty quickly afterwards, but that was no doubt just an urban myth.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not disappointing me at all. Would love them to stay there and be used frequently. I thought I remembered hearing they were being taken down pretty quickly afterwards, but that was no doubt just an urban myth.

They're doing that with some of the stadiums in Qatar (if that World Cup ever actually happens there, personally I have my doubts).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nope, I just don't believe the Americans would be capable. No more capable than Brazil.

Rubbish.
The USA have a plethora of stadiums which could be prepared for 2014 quite comfortably. They already have the financial clout, stadiums and the infrastructure in place. Brazil is still very much a work in progress
Mexico would be another alternative, for similar reasons.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Mexico would be another alternative, for similar reasons.

They've had it twice already though, in recent(ish) years in WC terms. Can't see them getting a 3rd World Cup any time soon even as a stand-in. FIFA do like to spread it around a bit more than that, plus I'm not sure Mexico would be able to muster enough bungs obviously.

Oct 25, 2003
usa could host it TODAY surely? they have plenty of big f*** off MEGA STADIA.....granted, none of them are SOCCER ones, but they could still do a job

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Isn't this just standard stuff these days. Every 2 years there are numerous articles saying it won't be ready. South Africa was nailed on not to be ready and was. News at the moment seems to be freaking out about Poland and Ukraine.

Brazil will be ready

This.

In my memory there has hardly EVER been either an Olympic games or a world cup which hasn't had reports of "ooh those foreigners will never be ready in time" flashed across Fleet Street's finest a year or so before the event - an event which has then, needless to say, passed off entirely without a hitch.

The only exception to this that I can remember was of course Germany in 2006. No-one would have believed that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here