Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brazil struggling to be ready for World Cup 2014

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If Brazil aren't ready to host the World Cup in 2014, which looks like a possibility, could England step in and host it?

We must be one of the only countries who could host it at minimum notice, who haven't hosted it recently.

Or have we burned that bridge with Fifa now?

As good as it would be, it would be a shame for Brazil, if England were based in Rio that would be a fantastic holiday.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It normally goes back to the last place that held it, so South Africa. There is not a chance in hell we'd get it, failing South Africa, Germany would prob get it

D

Deleted member 18477

france, england, germany could all hold it with ease. italy pos and spain... but south africa im not sure of how much was there in 2010 would still be there...

Yoda

English & European
I understood that we were the standby Country to host it if they weren't ready.

No chance of that happening now after the way the FA and press have been acting towards FIFA since the last bidding process.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It normally goes back to the last place that held it, so South Africa. There is not a chance in hell we'd get it, failing South Africa, Germany would prob get it

Does it? Has this happened before then?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Not true. AFAIK, it's only happened once before - in 1986 - and it went to Mexico not to Spain when Columbia couldn't host it.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
We are the standby country I believe, my old Brazillian housemate was of the view that they would not be ready. In that case, Germany would probably get it!

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
More chance of David Bernstien and Spetic Splatter having a love child together than us EVER getting a World Cup again. More than likely it would go to the USA IMHO. Almost same time zones and have the infrastrucutre in place. Europe wont get it as Russia have got the rights to 2018

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It would be very opportunistic to have one handed to us, but it won't happen because of 2018 being in Europe. I think they would struggle to find a country outside of europe to host it, though. I don't think the USA would be able to get ready in time. Brazil will find a way, i'm sure.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk (samsung galaxy s, actually!)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Isn't this just standard stuff these days. Every 2 years there are numerous articles saying it won't be ready. South Africa was nailed on not to be ready and was. News at the moment seems to be freaking out about Poland and Ukraine.

Brazil will be ready

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
South Korea or Japan could host it at very short notice and I imagine would be favs to get it over a UEFA nation

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Look at India in the ICC world Cup, and commonwealth games, still fixing bolts as the players arrived!!! Brazil will be fine, if a grounds not ready, they will just change to another one that is and play more games.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Isn't this just standard stuff these days. Every 2 years there are numerous articles saying it won't be ready. South Africa was nailed on not to be ready and was. News at the moment seems to be freaking out about Poland and Ukraine.

Brazil will be ready

Exactly my thoughts.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It would be very opportunistic to have one handed to us, but it won't happen because of 2018 being in Europe. I think they would struggle to find a country outside of europe to host it, though. I don't think the USA would be able to get ready in time. Brazil will find a way, i'm sure.

USA have a zillion massive stadiums, give or take - they could host it at the drop of a hat.

How could a country not be ready 2 years from now? If you started now, you'd still be ready, wouldn't you?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
With respect - that statement's complete bollocks isn't it? There's no 'normally' about it, and the one and only time a country has had to default (Columbia) it went to Mexico, not back to Spain. Not sure where you got your information from - but don't go there again!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
God, how many times do we here this nonsense before a major tournament.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Look at India in the ICC world Cup, and commonwealth games, still fixing bolts as the players arrived!!! Brazil will be fine, if a grounds not ready, they will just change to another one that is and play more games.

Anyone remember the Greece opening ceremony thingy when they mocked the concern surrounding whether their Olympic stadia would be open and they had men in hard hats banging in nails on the stage right up to the last minute?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here