Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boycott of Sky TV?

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003
sorry , but the reason some of the clubs are skin is because of PISS POOR MANAGEMENT.

Can't balme anything on sky. What have they done wrong? I think they have actually IMPROVED english football. More money has bought better players to England and means clubs lower down the league have better players.

I really can't see what sky have done wrong?

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
On the Left Wing said:
IMHO one of the main reasons for the cash crisis at so many clubs is the formation of the Premiership and the SKY TV sponsorship which has created a chasm of inequality between the 20 and the 72.

I began arguing a case last night on 606 for a redistribution of TV football money to involve negotiations with the FA, Football League, Sky TV, The Premiership and the Government.

On the face of it, it seems an impossible task, and must admit I can pay only lip service to the idea.

However, some Scunthorpe, Grimsby and Wrexham fans are now seriously talking about a 72 club boycott of Sky TV for one month in April. From a PR perspective the national press (tabloids in particular) and mabe even the BBC would devour this as a story. It may have some effect as part of an ongoing lobby for a fairer share of the treasure and may even save some clubs from liquidation.

I am four square behind the idea in principle, but wonder what others think - would welcome feedback on either (or any) side

Cheers

I've read some absolute bollocks on this website but I think this wins the award for the worst idea posted. ever.

Sky have pumped millions into the game and made the Premiership a better place for it . We have some of the world's best players who are only affordable because of TV money. I follow Brighton when I can but I will also happily watch Premiership on a Sunday afternoon because some of the football Arsenal and Chelsea produce is a joy to watch.

Also, as TLB points out, wasn't it Sky who cameto the rescue when ITV digital folded? Scunthorpe and Wrexham would be in even more trouble if it wasn't for Sky.

If we want to go back to the day's of 11 British players kicking lumps out of each other being paid fcuk all and one game live on the BBC once a month then I think this is a good idea.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Re: Re: Boycott of Sky TV?

The Laughing Bluebird said:
Why would the BBC be interested? The BBC's 'Match of the Day' programme covers PREMIERSHIP GAMES ONLY. They give ABSOLUTELY f*** ALL to the Coca Cola League sides. Or hadn't you spotted that?

If anything the BBC are worse.. they get the premshite on the cheap invest sod all money into their programe ,the bare minimum and dont even give the lower leagues a mention...at least sky give football league review etc and itv put on its regional programme ..

All the beeb are doing is clinging on to Fa cup and onto skys shirt tails with MOTD

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton

Hannibal smith said:
I've read some absolute bollocks on this website but I think this wins the award for the worst idea posted. ever.

Sky have pumped millions into the game and made the Premiership a better place for it . We have some of the world's best players who are only affordable because of TV money. I follow Brighton when I can but I will also happily watch Premiership on a Sunday afternoon because some of the football Arsenal and Chelsea produce is a joy to watch.

Also, as TLB points out, wasn't it Sky who cameto the rescue when ITV digital folded? Scunthorpe and Wrexham would be in even more trouble if it wasn't for Sky.

If we want to go back to the day's of 11 British players kicking lumps out of each other being paid fcuk all and one game live on the BBC once a month then I think this is a good idea.

With all due respect I think you have missed the point here.

There is no arguing that Sky has promoted and improved the British game at the highest level and the Premiership is streets awa from the old First Division of 13 years ago. None of that would haev happened without Sky's cash.

But it has also created a mass inequality of wealth and a gap between the Premiership and the other leagues which widens by the season. On one hand you have players at the highest level earning £70,000 a week and at the other clubs who struggle to even pay their stewards £40 a week!

The collapse of ITV Digital didn't help this scenario, but the cash flow problems were endemic well before this occured.

Before the formation of the Premiership and the massive influx of Sky cash we only had a couple of British clubs go bust and out of the league for purely financial reasons: Aldershot and Accrington Stanley.

But in the years since clubs have been riven by spiralling debt - and the ones that have been hardest hit are those which found themselves either (a) relegated from the Premiership (b) In the 1st Div (Championship) or (c) Relegated from the 1st Div.

I don't think ANY of these Scunny, Grimsby and Wrexham fans are calling for an end to SKY, they are calling for pressure to be put on SKY to cut the cake more evenly.

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
The FA will groan then ignore, Sky TV will say "oh well they dont want us that means more live Prem games for everyone" The top teams in the Championship wont go along as they wont tarnish their relationship incase they go upto the Prem league.
We (BHAFC) need money from Sky for ANY games we are on (at home) so boycotting a possible nice bit of cash is not very wise. Any team that does boycott Sky will just never show another live game of theirs anyway for a season or two and then other clubs will get that TV revenue money instead.

2 pence worth

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
CrabtreeBHA said:
The FA will groan then ignore, Sky TV will say "oh well they dont want us that means more live Prem games for everyone" The top teams in the Championship wont go along as they wont tarnish their relationship incase they go upto the Prem league.
We (BHAFC) need money from Sky for ANY games we are on (at home) so boycotting a possible nice bit of cash is not very wise. Any team that does boycott Sky will just never show another live game of theirs anyway for a season or two and then other clubs will get that TV revenue money instead.

2 pence worth

Good point Crabbers

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Shouldn't you be targetting your anger at the Football Association rather than Sky? It's the FA who sell their product to Sky, and then distribute those revenues as they see fit.

I'm sorry to say I can't see any mileage in this proposal whatsoever.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Boycott of Sky TV?

ditchy said:
If anything the BBC are worse.. they get the premshite on the cheap invest sod all money into their programe ,the bare minimum and dont even give the lower leagues a mention...at least sky give football league review etc and itv put on its regional programme ..

All the beeb are doing is clinging on to Fa cup and onto skys shirt tails with MOTD
Spot on. Like Silver flying chariot and some others I have no beef with Sky who after all are a commercial organisation trying to make money, and overall football is better for their involvment. The publicly-funded BBC on the other hand are a disgrace. If they really cared about the game as a whole they'd go back to having a more inclusive MOTD instead of just being a cheap Sky substitute.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Its an alright idea as "Why must we protest, just to be heard in this world" (Anti-Flag) that saying is just what the little lower league clubs ahve to do. Why should we (yes we ARE a small club) have to Protest with other clubs because of this? It should be seen by Sky TV/the FA or whoever to sort out and give fair distribution to lower league clubs but it is'nt. A boycott would barely make Sky News for a day or so then it'd be forgotten, the only way to get heard would be to get Prem sides helping out but they wont because they wont want to loose money/relations with the FA/Sky TV over "a few moaning small skint clubs"

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I've been boycotting SKY for years. I never watch Premiership games. The last match I saw on SKY was Leicester away.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth

On the Left Wing said:
With all due respect I think you have missed the point here.

There is no arguing that Sky has promoted and improved the British game at the highest level and the Premiership is streets awa from the old First Division of 13 years ago. None of that would haev happened without Sky's cash.

But it has also created a mass inequality of wealth and a gap between the Premiership and the other leagues which widens by the season. On one hand you have players at the highest level earning £70,000 a week and at the other clubs who struggle to even pay their stewards £40 a week!

The collapse of ITV Digital didn't help this scenario, but the cash flow problems were endemic well before this occured.

Before the formation of the Premiership and the massive influx of Sky cash we only had a couple of British clubs go bust and out of the league for purely financial reasons: Aldershot and Accrington Stanley.

But in the years since clubs have been riven by spiralling debt - and the ones that have been hardest hit are those which found themselves either (a) relegated from the Premiership (b) In the 1st Div (Championship) or (c) Relegated from the 1st Div.

I don't think ANY of these Scunny, Grimsby and Wrexham fans are calling for an end to SKY, they are calling for pressure to be put on SKY to cut the cake more evenly.

No club has gone bust since Maidstone have they? Despite the inequalities, clubs still survive. Despite the £75 million shortfall with ITV digital clubs don't go bust. Look at Leeds, despite Risdale's best attempts with Robbie Fowler still being paid & the infamous Goldfish they still carry on.

As for the cake being cut more evenly, it is a nice idea and one which in theory would make the game more competitive. Why, though, Should Arsenal receive less money to pay Grimsby more? On a broader point why do we have parachute payments? Wouldn't it be simpler to have performance related contracts against the division a player is in? As somebody mentioned above it is the chairmen who should be budgeting accordingly with the money given to them, not the responsibilites of the TV company.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I won't boycott Sky purely because it's not really their fault. They outbid everyone else for the rights to the footie and the cricket (which is a bigger tragedy) and as LB points out, if they had not come in after the collapse of ITV Digital then a few more football souts would be furthur up the spout than they are already.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Hannibal smith said:
Sky have pumped millions into the game and made the Premiership a better place for it . .

I don't give a toss about the Premiership or England when compared to how I feel about the Albion. Lumping the vast majority of the money into the Premiership will eventually cause the death of decent Championship and league teams and has already condemned the England team to be a bunch of also rans, in the World game.

Just imo like and I felt strongly enough about it to cancel my Sky subscrption two years ago. Don't miss the overhyped Premiership one bit.

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Icy Gull said:
I don't give a toss about the Premiership or England when compared to how I feel about the Albion. Lumping the vast majority of the money into the Premiership will eventually cause the death of decent Championship and league teams and has already condemned the England team to be a bunch of also rans, in the World game.

Just imo like

Not the fault of SKY. Surely that is down to the governing bodies to protect the interests of clubs as far as TV rights are involved?

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Bozza said:
Shouldn't you be targetting your anger at the Football Association rather than Sky? It's the FA who sell their product to Sky, and then distribute those revenues as they see fit.

The problem is that none of us really know anything about how the money from Sky TV is distributed. And, unless we are in possession of such facts, then talk of boycotts is just plain stupid.

My understanding (which I'll admit is limited) is that the Premiership, the Coca Cola League and the Conference all negotiate their own deals with Sky, the BBC, ITV, etc, while the FA negotiates the TV rights for England matches, the FA Cup and the Carling Cup.

The way that TV revenue is distributed throughout the game is clearly a problem, but I don't believe the fault lies with the TV companies. The problem as I see it is that the FA, the Premiership and the other leagues are all looking after their own interests as far as media rights are concerned (including things such as radio and internet coverage) so there is bound to be a large degree of financial inequality. The fault would appear to be with the sport's governing bodies, not with those who sponsor it.

I have no idea what the answer to this conundrum is, and something obviously needs to be done about it because under the current system the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. But a ridiculous boycott of the British game's biggest benefactor is clearly NOT the way forward.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Boycott of Sky TV?

ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Not the fault of SKY. Surely that is down to the governing bodies to protect the interests of clubs as far as TV rights are involved?

The only way I can make even the tiniest difference is to stop paying the company who are using my money to pay the Premiership clubs. I can do nothing about the FA. Futile and sad? Possibly but Premiership clubs will only get my money now if the Albion are playing one of them.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Boycott of Sky TV?

Icy Gull said:
The only way I can make even the tiniest difference is to stop paying the company who are using my money to pay the Premiership clubs.

Sky are also using your money to pay the Coca Cola League clubs. Including Brighton & Hove Albion.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Hiney said:
... referring to Sky buying Nationwide league rights

:lolol:

yeah right. With a much lower offer than ITV's compromise deal which they allegedly dropped even further the night before it was signed. And all that only after they'd already done all they could to make it impossible for the new digital platform to survive.

Some rescue.

Having said that, it's down to the football authorities to decide on where the money goes, not Sky. Expect them to pump a lot less money into the game in the next couple of deals if the championship race becomes even more predictable.

Last edited:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I don't have sky anyway so not a problem for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here