Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] BOXING: Taylor vs Catterall

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Catterall does not even win with a single judge if Taylor does not get that point deducted. Absolute scandal.

Joke of an undercard too. If this was a Matchroom card and result Hearn would be getting absolute pelters.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I genuinely don’t think I’ve seen a more controversial decision than that in boxing. That was Catterall’s by a considerable margin - the stats showed he threw almost twice as many punches and connected at a far higher rate than Taylor, let alone the state of Taylor’s face, tells the whole story.

Needs looking into. That’s just not right.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Corruption in boxing? Never!

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I wonder if they will look for ‘unusual betting patterns’ as that could be an explanation?

And the judge who scored it 114-111 to Taylor should never be a judge at this level again.

Farce doesn’t even cover it.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The judges were obviously influenced with the reputation of the unbeaten undisputed champion, and they were in Scotland as well

If they judged it with their eyes, then Taylor lost by quite a large margin.

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
Taylor says he believes he bossed the 2nd half of the fight and there is no need for a rematch.

He lost 3 of the last 6 and round 8 was a 10-8 round. :lol:

I had it 8-4 to Catterall.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I wonder if they will look for ‘unusual betting patterns’ as that could be an explanation?

And the judge who scored it 114-111 to Taylor should never be a judge at this level again.

Farce doesn’t even cover it.

Given that Catterall put him down and he had a point off then that means one judge thought he only dropped three points in the rest of the fight. He reckons that caterall lost 8 rounds to give him 111 with the point off. How on Earth can someone have scored that as 8 rounds to 4 when Catterall landed 166 punches to Taylor’s 85. That is not far off landing twice as many. Caterall only wobbled once so it is not like it was quality over gentle taps either.

I have not seen a decision as dodgy as that since lewis Holyfield in 98/99 (can’t remember which but it was second year of uni).

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Steve Bunce on Radio 5 Live:

"I just want to add, and I'll sound like a broken record, I know. There are no corrupt, crooked, or broken judges. It's just guys ringside who get things very different to the rest of us. No one's getting brown envelopes."

How he can hold that position whilst keeping a straight face after tonight's events is beyond belief.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Where is VAR when you really need it? If only that **** Kavanagh had been there to give his verdict - he didn’t do much at Goodison earlier so had plenty left to give!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Taylor showed the champion he is in the latter stages, fair play to the challenger, he ran him close but class tells in the end. JT pound for pound best boxer in Britain.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Taylor showed the champion he is in the latter stages, fair play to the challenger, he ran him close but class tells in the end. JT pound for pound best boxer in Britain.

Interesting take, there wasn't a commentator or ex-professional for either 5 live, sky sports or anyone i have seen subsequently interviewed that saw the fight live who thought that Josh Taylor won that fight, most were in absolute disbelief at the decision. Ben Davidson, Josh Taylors trainer told him in the corner that he needed a knock-out, Ben Shalom the promoter of the fight called it an embarrassment, even Carl Frampton who is a mate of Josh Taylor thought he lost the fight and was disgusted with the decision.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The British Boxing Board of Control will investigate the scoring in Josh Taylor's split decision win over Jack Catterall on Saturday.

Scot Taylor, 31, retained his WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO light-welterweight belts against the 28-year-old Englishman.

But many onlookers at Glasgow's OVO Hydro believed Catterall should have been declared the new world champion.

The BBBoC said it "will be investigating the scoring of this contest and will advise accordingly".

The board does not have the power to overturn the result.

Still unbeaten, Taylor has suggested the bout will be his last at light-welterweight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/60559433

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I backed Taylor so the bent decision worked in my favour. But it wasn't right; it was a bent decision. Bollocks to Bunce; I don't believe at all that at least two of the judges hadn't taken a bung.

I've always known that boxing is "close to the edge" but that result was the most bent I have ever seen. Boxing is often a question of which style you like best so there are often many opinions but anybody who watched that fight and thought Taylor won knows absolutely nothing about the "sport".

I wanted Taylor to win. I backed Taylor to win. But only bent judging resulted in Taylor getting the decision. I really feel for Catteral; the winner by a country mile.

i certainly won't be shelling out for any boxing PPVs now. What's the point?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
After what happened with Hamzah Sheeraz / Bradley Skeet just before Christmas, boxing really is bollocks. Never been a serious fan but had got back into it last couple of years but these incidents remind me why I don't take it seriously

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here