Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bournemouth to sue hawk eye

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
This is nonsense.

Hawkeye came out and issued a statement immediately after the match that the system was turned on and working normally (it was reporting "goals" when the subs were shooting into the nets at half-time) but the specific circumstances of the incident were such that the technology wasn't able to triangulate the position of the ball (due to interference from the players and post) and therefore a goal couldn't be signalled by the technology. It was, apparently, the first time this had happened in over 9,000 instances.

Well - Thats me told !

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Bournemouth to discuss taking legal action against Hawk-Eye.

The goal-line tech firm apologised after their system failed to give a goal for Sheffield United against Aston Villa.

thoughts....

About as much chance of Stevie Wonder taking legal action against a driving school :shootself
Nothing to see here!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That is neatly avoiding the fact that had Villa been that point worse off before the West Ham game they may have gone for a win, instead of knowing a draw would be enough!

But they didn't know a draw would be enough - if Watford had won, Villa would be down. The only way they guaranteed staying up was with a win, they approached that game knowing as much and they didn't achieve it. They got a draw, which, thanks at the very least in part to the hawkeye error, ended up being enough, but not until the Watford game finished several minutes after theirs did.

But again, I'm in the 'who knows what would have happened' camp, that is really the only argument that needs to be made. I'm merely pointing out 'if they didn't lose that game v x' argument isn't a good one, because the argument is take that error away and change nothing else and they've done all they needed to to stay up.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As I said in the other thread, this is on the Premier League website.

“Goal Decision System is used at all Premier League matches. It is supplied by Hawk-Eye, the world’s leading provider of vision processing instruments to sport. The system aids referees with close calls, in cases where there may be some doubt if the whole ball has crossed the goal line.”

https://www.premierleague.com/news/102386

And from the VAR section “The final decision will remain with the on-field referee.”

My take, is that all times the referee is accountable for the final decision...as it has always been. And technology is only used to help him/her arrive at this decision. I can’t see what case Bournemouth therefore have.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

“Goal Decision System is used at all Premier League matches. It is supplied by Hawk-Eye, the world’s leading provider of vision processing instruments to sport. The system aids referees with close calls, in cases where there may be some doubt if the whole ball has crossed the goal line.”

And from the VAR section “The final decision will remain with the on-field referee.”

My take, is that all times the referee is accountable for the final decision...as it has always been. And technology is only used to help him/her arrive at this decision. I can’t see what case Bournemouth therefore have.

I am not sure if referees see it that way or understand it to be that way. Strikes me they look at their watch and it dictates the decision. Seems they are too reliant on their watches and have stopped using their eyes and assistants. Poor show.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Mmmmm....OK.

I'll have to have another think about how I can relegate the Villa, then.

Please do. I'd LOVE to see those billy-big-bollocks brummie mouth-breathers binned off back down to the noddy leagues.

Maybe a £ spent to points ratio ? Holy crap, splurging £140m last summer and staying up by the skin of their scrotes is surely worth some kind of penalty.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I am not sure if referees see it that way or understand it to be that way. Strikes me they look at their watch and it dictates the decision. Seems they are too reliant on their watches and have stopped using their eyes and assistants. Poor show.

They've missed horrendous over the line goals prior to technology being there to aid them. Maybe they are too reliant on technology, but no reason the ref or assistant having seen it couldn't use their own judgement or consult each other. If it was the worst one I'd ever seen, I might agree with you, but they've happened far more times previously per season than when having GLT.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The club hasn't said anything unless you can point us towards an official source ? Our board are notorious in the fact they rarely say anything to anyone ever. Its tighter than a ducks arse and thats watertight so at the moment this article is just pure speculation.

We went down because were were shit for most of the season, 99.9% of the clubs support and the playing staff would agree with me. No one would expect relegation to be rescinded, however I've no issue with any club taking on the PL / VAR / Hawkeye as these shysters have ruined the game for the average fan. If it does happen it won't be about relegation, that's happened, done and dusted.

This is correct, I think. Reversing relegation won't happen, just as West Ham weren't demoted and Sheffield United reinstated over the Tevez/Mascherano business, which was a strong case. But they did have to pay compensation, so there is a precedent.

It was said in some of this morning's papers that all clubs sign up to Premier League rules, which say that goalline technology may not work and that in that case the referee's decision stands. And I think most people approve of GLT. But VAR also let Sheffield United down, and I think most fans would be very much behind AFCB if they launched a case against that. But who would pay any compensation? the Premier League?

maybe everyone who lost their SheffUtd to win bets joined in a class action then we could all get our stake money back, VAR / Hawkeye whatever would be bankrupt and the vile thing would all go away (even accepting we ebenefited most from var overturns this year!) 8 overtunrs in our favour and only one against

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The club hasn't said anything unless you can point us towards an official source ? Our board are notorious in the fact they rarely say anything to anyone ever. Its tighter than a ducks arse and thats watertight so at the moment this article is just pure speculation.

We went down because were were shit for most of the season, 99.9% of the clubs support and the playing staff would agree with me. No one would expect relegation to be rescinded, however I've no issue with any club taking on the PL / VAR / Hawkeye as these shysters have ruined the game for the average fan. If it does happen it won't be about relegation, that's happened, done and dusted.

I’d be fuming if I were you though. I cannot get how VAR couldn’t use common sense - I don’t buy this ‘VAR was told to leave that to the Hawkeye technology’ - it was clear within seconds on a replay the technology had failed - just use common sense!

Of course you can't say Villa would have lost that game had the goal been allowed (many ‘fans’ seem to not understand goals change games and tactics etc) but they were woeful in that game and I’m pretty sure Sheff Utd would have won if it would have been given. The fact they stayed up by a point is absolutely farcical - shame on the VAR for having no bollocks at all - they could have stopped the game for 5 mins and called someone senior to say look there’s been a clear error and we want to allow the goal even if it isn’t our ‘duty’. Absurd that it didn’t happen - you won’t get a more clear and obvious decision which is not down to opinion - it was so clearly over!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

So easiest and most simple thing to do is VAR contact the ref and say - there’s been an error or looks like an error - have a look on the screen. Ref goes to the pitch side monitor - yeh there’s clearly a hawkeye error, I’m giving the goal. Simple and incredibly easy. The excuses after were a joke!

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
So easiest and most simple thing to do is VAR contact the ref and say - there’s been an error or looks like an error - have a look on the screen. Ref goes to the pitch side monitor - yeh there’s clearly a hawkeye error, I’m giving the goal. Simple and incredibly easy. The excuses after we’re a joke!

That's definitely what should have happened. You can clearly see Michael Oliver show his watch to a Sheffield United player as if to say 'It can't have crossed the line because the watch didn't buzz' so it probably never occurred to him that GLT could fail. That would have been the time for VAR to step in ...

Silent

Apr 16, 2015
Another Bournemouth fan here. I'm not bitter at all, we deserve to go down and I'm looking forward to what will hopefully be an exciting season again, it's been a while. We'll lose some of the senior players, but most of them let us down this year and we've got quite a lot of fringe and young players that look good enough.

Anyway back to the point, people need to think about this as with a business head, not with the emotions of a football fan. It is in the companies interest to see if there is a potential compensation claim due to somebody's cockup. If you take away the typical knee jerk football fan reactions, it's ultimately a business trying to see if anybody is liable. E.g. if Hawkeye wasn't switched on for the second half, it's clear somebody is liable and would be pretty straight forward in court or for an out-of-court settlement, especially with the precident set that there's no need to prove what would have happened if it counted, as in the West Ham v Sheffield United case.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I hope Bournemouth has looked into suing David Coote's watch maker in case he'd mistakenly played extra seconds in the Villa v Albion game, allowing Villa's late, late, late added time winner against heroic 10 man albion - a goal which in the end sent Bournemouth down.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I’d be fuming if I were you though. I cannot get how VAR couldn’t use common sense - I don’t buy this ‘VAR was told to leave that to the Hawkeye technology’ - it was clear within seconds on a replay the technology had failed - just use common sense!

Of course you can't say Villa would have lost that game had the goal been allowed (many ‘fans’ seem to not understand goals change games and tactics etc) but they were woeful in that game and I’m pretty sure Sheff Utd would have won if it would have been given. The fact they stayed up by a point is absolutely farcical - shame on the VAR for having no bollocks at all - they could have stopped the game for 5 mins and called someone senior to say look there’s been a clear error and we want to allow the goal even if it isn’t our ‘duty’. Absurd that it didn’t happen - you won’t get a more clear and obvious decision which is not down to opinion - it was so clearly over!

but by the same token Villa could then argue that it was agreed Hawk Eye would rule on such decision and it didn't give the goal. Can't change the rules during a game....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here