Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bought faulty Epson laser printer on Gumtree today - next steps?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Yes, I made the mistake of trusting the buyer.

When I got it home, it says the B door is open even though it is shut. Tried switching it off and on again and still the error won't clear. I have tried to contact the seller but no answer so far.

Which leads me to ask:
- what recourse do I have with buying faulty goods?
- how much does a laser printer cost to repair (and is the problem above easily repairable?)

Thanks!

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
Basically if it's second hand it's caveat emptor with this sort of stuff unless it's advertised as working and you could try and threaten him with the small claims court.

It's a civil matter so you can't obviously goto the police...

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Thanks. The printer was only £40. Very heavy. Not going to chuck it through his window.

Nevertheless, shall I Jamie him?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Have you googled the fault? Usually some good advice from other users - and at least you'll know if the consensus is "it's ****ed"

Yes, I have. Thanks for the suggestion. :) Of the people I have read about, no one who has had the problem has had it resolved.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
You could have bought a new one for fourty quid

A colour laser printer for £40?

Part of my rationale was that toner for older printers would be cheaper.

D

Deleted member 22389

Yes, I made the mistake of trusting the buyer.

When I got it home, it says the B door is open even though it is shut. Tried switching it off and on again and still the error won't clear. I have tried to contact the seller but no answer so far.

Which leads me to ask:
- what recourse do I have with buying faulty goods?
- how much does a laser printer cost to repair (and is the problem above easily repairable?)

Thanks!

I really can't stand people who sell on goods knowing they are faulty. Just shows what a coward this seller is for not contacting you about it, to sort this out. One thing I hate is when people take my money.
I have been there before. I ordered 10 PS3 games on Ebay, only got 8. Pathetic excuses as well, the seller said he could not find the games even though they where pictured. He then found the games for me, and lost them again.
More like W\*(ker sold them seperately becuase the auction went quite cheap.

I wish there was a middle man buyers like yourself could contact to sort these things out, and some sort of trading law introduced online for 2nd hand goods, because it's far to easy for people get ripped off.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Thanks. The printer was only £40. Very heavy. Not going to chuck it through his window.

Nevertheless, shall I Jamie him?

There are several clubs out there that I am sure he would love to become a member of.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
You could always make a 'wanted' post on the local freecycle site? There must be loads of companies that have to upgrade their equipment regularly, and have a spare sitting about :thumbsup:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I assume this was from a private person and not a small company?

Why did you not see it working before purchase?

The guy printed out a status page out of it so it looked liked it worked fine.

Update: Today, I got a text saying that when he got the printer it also had same error message but putting blu tack on the sensor sorted it out.

Maybe the blob of blue tack was displaced in the taxi journey...

(I've yet to pursue this fix. Still, he wasn't upfront about this issue before he sold it).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think we now know who the seller was

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Update: Today, I got a text saying that when he got the printer it also had same error message but putting blu tack on the sensor sorted it out.

Maybe the blob of blue tack was displaced in the taxi journey...

(I've yet to pursue this fix. Still, he wasn't upfront about this issue before he sold it).
Cheeky. IMO him not disclosing that is enough for you to win if you went to the small claims court (though I appreciate you probably can't be bothered for £40). If the blu tack (or similar) works, I guess you'll be happy enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here