Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boston, MA - What's Good?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Right - I'm off to Boston, MA for the weekend. Flying this afternoon.

What do NSC's finest minds recommend to do/see/eat/not miss?

Harvard? MIT? Cycle tour? Trolley Bus? CLAM Chowder? Cheers?

Lol xx

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Defo go to MIT. It's an amazing place and has an on-site Frank Gehry building. When I was there they had an exhibition detailing the work of the 'Hackers' in the refectory. Check this lot out as they're brilliant. In fact they are genius in every sense.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Clam Chowder.

The hop on hop off city bus tour takes you past everywhere.

I was a bit disappointed with Cheers. Inside is nothing like the bar on TV

Shame you're not going to be there during the baseball season, but they might well do a stadium tour at Fenway Park

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Harbour cruise, Chinatown, Quincy Market, use the quaint White Line from airport to Downtown (if that's where you're staying)

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The Logan airport Hilton has an extensive bar as I found out when I was trapped in there for 48 hours because the snow was so bad that even their airport was closed!

There are some great sights to see as others have posted. When I was there the Irish bars were VERY Provo oriented..to the extent that their were collections for the IRA going on. Oddly though there was no anti Brit treatment towards me personally in any of em.

It's a great town. Unlike anywhere else in the US I have been to.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
The Logan airport Hilton has an extensive bar as I found out when I was trapped in there for 48 hours because the snow was so bad that even their airport was closed!

There are some great sights to see as others have posted. When I was there the Irish bars were VERY Provo oriented..to the extent that their were collections for the IRA going on. Oddly though there was no anti Brit treatment towards me personally in any of em.

Yes never had any issues in any Irish pubs and I have sampled a few, I like Boston it has more character than most faceless US cities and the pace of life is far more European. Plenty of places to see based on the Civil war, Whale spotting, just walking around downtown its quite compact and you can follow the historical trail (cant remember the exact name). The original cheers bar is just north of the park not the one in the market but they only used the outside so just a tourist trap now. The Boston Arena is downtown so you might be able to get ice hockey or a concert in and Samuel Adams do brewery trips.

Also if you have time get out an about - Salem for the witches and New Hamphire for tax free shopping and a bit further afield the mountains of New Hamphire/Vermont are spectacular.

When leaving Boston go downstairs to find the Beer Factory in the airport as its tucked away for a few final pints, there is not much else in the airport.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The airport has two parallel runways which have planes landing on them simultaneously. It was a bit odd landing along side another plane.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Follow the yellow line tourist trail - might be called the Freedom Trail or something similar. I second Salem as well - great place for a wander around and you could pretend you were in Dawson's Creek, if you're feeling melodramatic. There's a great Chinese restaurant somewhere, can't remember the name, if that's of any help. I'm sure someone else will know just which one I mean...

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
My favourite US city.
Easy to walk around (which is unusual in the US), lots of history, and make sure you go on a Duck Tour. Think you can pick the tickets up still at the Prudential Building.

Definitely go to Quincy's Market & try the clam chowder. The lobster is superb wherever you go and if you get time, pop into the massive aquarium.

New Hampshire is beautiful but if you're just in Boston for the weekend, then you probably won't have time.

Don't think whale watching will be running in the winter.

Have a brilliant time, you lucky so and so.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
My favourite US city.
Easy to walk around (which is unusual in the US), lots of history, and make sure you go on a Duck Tour. Think you can pick the tickets up still at the Prudential Building.

Definitely go to Quincy's Market & try the clam chowder. The lobster is superb wherever you go and if you get time, pop into the massive aquarium.

New Hampshire is beautiful but if you're just in Boston for the weekend, then you probably won't have time.

Don't think whale watching will be running in the winter.

Have a brilliant time, you lucky so and so.

All of theseplus try and have a breakfast in the Pour House, a sort of eatery I suppose you'd describe it as... Hookers sharing a counter with cops, bizzare.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
As others have said Quincy market is lovely. It's similar to Covent garden in London.
A bit further afield is Salem where Halloween originated from and also If you have hired a car then cape cod is one of the most beautiful places and a must see. If I remember rightly I think the Cheers bar is in Boston??
Also if you've seen the film Ted, Some of the scenes are filmed at a breakfast bar called Charlie's which is a quirky American place

Oct 2, 2008
If you get time the Kennedy Library is well worth a visit. Other than that I concur with the choices of the other posters....Boston is brilliant.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
I'm on a one man mission to drink at the 100 best bars in the world. Should I ever make it to Boston, I'll be heading for Drink (Drink) which was voted 13th in the world this year. If thats your kind of thing, scope it out for me please! :)

AgerBomb22

Jun 2, 2011
Chi Town/Burgess Hill
Went there in 2010 to visit my brother at Boston College. Lovely city. The freedom trail was a highlight for me as it takes you on a good and detailed tour of the city. Would recommend visiting the JFK museum as well, very good place with plenty of history about the former president.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Well that was bloody MARVELLOUS.

Stayed near Charlie's so went there for a massive breakfast. Freedom Trail was excellent (articularly the Old North Church) as was Quincy Market. At various points stuffed my fat gob full of clam chowder, lobster bisque, bagels, turkey hash, home fries, very spicy chicken wings, onion STRINGS, onion RINGS and much more. Harvard was very cool. Drinking round South End / Back Bay area.

Highly recommended - thanks NSC for the tips!

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
I visited Boston for the first time a couple of weeks ago, staying in a (surprisingly good) Hostel near the Theatre District. Had a lovely time - also thought the Freedom Trail was excellent. Did you make it up to the top of Bunker Hill monument? I thought Quincy Market was a bit overpriced, but still nice to visit. Also visited Prudential Centre for the shopping around there. Had a lovely time there and also highly recommended the place!

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Been to Boston three times and agree it is a fantastic city. Another city with a great underground system and all the above mentioned sightseeing places very well doing and seeing.
Hoping to get to Chicago some time next year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here